Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Co is oderless. The rotten egg smell is completely unrelated to this. Do a minute of research man.

Maybe be a little less snarky, man. The only reason most of us are even aware of it is because of the smell you get after acceleration. It is completely related.

Co is oderless. The rotten egg smell is completely unrelated to this. Do a minute of research man.

Maybe be a little less snarky, man. The only reason most of us are even aware of it is because of the smell you get after acceleration. It is completely related.

It's been about 10 days since I've gotten my 2017 Explorer back from the dealer for the "17N03 CARBON MONOXIDE CONCERNS" service. I have to say that I think it actually fixed the problem that I was having. I am no longer experiencing the symptoms that I was experiencing prior to the repairs. I was skeptical that what the dealer was doing would be effective, but so far I haven't noticed anything. If anyone else is having problems, I would request the dealer installs the seal they use for the police cars...apparently that's what they put on my Explorer by accident. I can't speak to the other (civilian) seal since they didn't put that one on my vehicle. Best of luck with this, everyone.

Hi there, new to the forum today. Decided to join and share my experience with my 2015 Explorer Limited.
Bought new 12/2014 and have had exhaust issues since about the first 6 months. Dealer at first said nothing was wrong (of course) even though there has been a TSB since 2012 on the issue. Have now been to the dealer 4+ times for the issue (most recently this past July) and have had the full TSB 16-0166 parts 1 and 2 completed (the 2nd part is replacing the exhaust system with down turned tips, had these two TSB parts done at different times). They also did a reseal of the rear spoiler per the area rep on the last visit after the TSB fixes did not work....all of which has not made any difference at all. Now out of warranty (over 40k miles)....but still have the same issue.

I also opened a case with Ford about the issue about 2 months ago, have not heard a word from them or the dealer since. Its good to see that Ford is now addressing the issues formally for all 2011-2017 models per this notice, but what happens if these fixes do not work as in my case? I read in an earlier post on this thread that theTSB did fix one persons Explorer (they had the part 1 fixes), so it makes me wonder if my dealer did that part right. Can I go to another dealer and have them actually do part 1 again?

Also, anyone "think" that maybe the issue is not even in the rear at all, but actually the exhaust manifolds themselves (I read somewhere that the NHTSA is looking into cracked manifolds)? That is what I believe may actually be the issue as I get exhaust gases in the car no matter what AC setting I use and when I put the windows down to vent the air sometimes makes it worse. Even with AC system completely off I have the issue and opening the sunroof with windows closed makes it worse. I do realize that the cabin is not completely sealed from the outside no matter what, but this is the only car where I have had such exhaust issues with headaches and nausea being a constant.

I also had the drivers door panel separate like others here, at least that was under warranty (hope the passenger side stays together). I also have the dreaded shifter issue (transmission not in park) but of course the dealer did not replicate under warranty so now I will have to fix myself. I will not get into all the other issues I have had....even a battery at 36,200 miles (yeah, just out of warranty).
Thanks all to reading this....I see a lot of great info on this forum so I am glad to have joined. Thanks for having me!

Welcome to the Forum RTICWOLF.:wave:

Peter

I would put a CO detector in the vehicle as previously mentioned to confirm how much is entering

Hi there, new to the forum today. Decided to join and share my experience with my 2015 Explorer Limited.
!

So I have a 2017 and didn't really smell anything for the first year. But the past couple months, I've started noticing subtle exhaust "rotten egg" smells -- while CO is odorless, the exhaust itself definitely isn't pure CO, therefore exhaust most definitely has an odor. My observations are:
  • Calm normal city driving: no hard acceleration.
  • Recent weather has been colder (~46F or ~8C). Hot air rises faster, right?
  • Tends to happen when I'm slowing to a stop -- it's like it wafts in, even if nobody is in front.
  • AC always on on "auto", windows all closed.
  • Happens only occasionally... like the outside winds & temperatures have to line up just right.
  • Seems to happen most when the car isn't fully warmed up.
  • Happens when there are no cars in front of me.
My service appointment is next week and they'll be checking mine out. Personally still doesn't seem like it's affecting me nearly as much as others have said. And we completed a long multi-day road trip without ill effects (in the summer).

So I have a 2017 and didn't really smell anything for the first year. But the past couple months, I've started noticing subtle exhaust "rotten egg" smells -- while CO is odorless, the exhaust itself definitely isn't pure CO, therefore exhaust most definitely has an odor. My observations are:
  • Calm normal city driving: no hard acceleration.
  • Recent weather has been colder (~46F or ~8C). Hot air rises faster, right?
  • Tends to happen when I'm slowing to a stop -- it's like it wafts in, even if nobody is in front.
  • AC always on on "auto", windows all closed.
  • Happens only occasionally... like the outside winds & temperatures have to line up just right.
  • Seems to happen most when the car isn't fully warmed up.
  • Happens when there are no cars in front of me.
My service appointment is next week and they'll be checking mine out. Personally still doesn't seem like it's affecting me nearly as much as others have said. And we completed a long multi-day road trip without ill effects (in the summer).

The rotten egg smell is a completely different thing and is normal. I would not have the car torn apart for that.

Can someone who has had the free repair done update us on how the new HVAC program works? I've read that it commands the AC to switch from RECIRC to FRESH at some point.

Does anyone know what the trigger point is? When it happens, does the RECIRC light turn off to let you know that it has opened? And finally, does it automatically switch back to RECIRC or do you have to push the button to switch it back to closed?

I'm assuming at WOT it would cycle between Recirc and outside air, and then switch back when the throttle was reduced. I'm sure it's automatic.

The rotten egg smell is a completely different thing and is normal. I would not have the car torn apart for that.
The smell is the same as the exhaust -- sort of "rotten egg" but not really :) I just get brief moments of it inside.

I just had mine done for free with my oil change. They showed me the OASIS technical details but wouldn't print it out for me. Basically it looks like they double checked a bunch of undercarriage rubber seals (like big rubber bolts), and replaced or added some sort of insulator tunnel. Here's what it said directly on my service report:

e upcoming customer satifaction program 17N03:2011-2017 model year explorer retail vehicles - carbon monoxide complaints
cause: carbon monoxide complaints
W 0.60
2 CK4Z*13014*B insulator - tunnel
3 4M8Z*78280B62*A valve

The insulator tunnel was next to the muffler exit on the side of the car... I'm not a mechanic. Rubber seals were kind of all over undercarriage in a 6-10 places.

Can't tell if anything is different yet. Only been a couple days.

I just had mine done for free with my oil change. They showed me the OASIS technical details but wouldn't print it out for me. Basically it looks like they double checked a bunch of undercarriage rubber seals (like big rubber bolts), and replaced or added some sort of insulator tunnel. Here's what it said directly on my service report:

e upcoming customer satifaction program 17N03:2011-2017 model year explorer retail vehicles - carbon monoxide complaints
cause: carbon monoxide complaints
W 0.60
2 CK4Z*13014*B insulator - tunnel
3 4M8Z*78280B62*A valve

The insulator tunnel was next to the muffler exit on the side of the car... I'm not a mechanic. Rubber seals were kind of all over undercarriage in a 6-10 places.

Can't tell if anything is different yet. Only been a couple days.
Had the oil changed last week and the service for the exhaust issue that I have not noticed. Got a call 2 days later stating that Ford just came out with a new fix and to bring mine back. Ugh! not sure what is new, will call later.

I'm still waiting to have mine done, want the local dealer tech to be well practiced before they get their hands on mine.

If anyone knows anything about this 'new fix' please post it.

Took our 2017 in for the door molding with the key pad separating and they performed 17N03 also. This consisted of an underbody inspection and sealing. It looks like the sealing was two foil back mastic patches in the drive train tunnel and 3 lift gate drains. They also reprogrammed the pcm to bring in outside air only during rapid acceleration. It appears that older vehicles can get additional "fixes" under 17N03.

Whimsey

Took our 2017 in for the door molding with the key pad separating and they performed 17N03 also. This consisted of an underbody inspection and sealing. It looks like the sealing was two foil back mastic patches in the drive train tunnel and 3 lift gate drains. They also reprogrammed the pcm to bring in outside air only during rapid acceleration. It appears that older vehicles can get additional "fixes" under 17N03.

Whimsey
Are you saying the patched up/covered the liftgate drain holes? If so, where is the water supposed to go?

Peter

No they covered something in the drive shaft tunnel with those 2 foil backed mastic patches and for the liftgate they put in 3 "Liftgate Drain Valves", they didn't block the drain holes. I'm assuming, I know dangerous, that the valves allow water out but not exhaust fumes in, at least I hope.

Whimsey
Are you saying the patched up/covered the liftgate drain holes? If so, where is the water supposed to go?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2016 Platinum is at the Dealer's for some warranty work and they called me the day after I dropped it off to tell me that as long as my car is in the shop they intend to do the "17N03 CARBON MONOXIDE CONCERNS" repair to my car. Strangely, he said 'only the part that applies to your model & year', which were the rear tailgate drain plugs and rear side vent grilles, the parts will be in tomorrow. No other work was mentioned. I said 'ok'.

When we were writing up the warranty work last week I did ask the SA about how many 17N03 repairs the shop was doing and he said mainly PIO's, then let it drop, and so did I. I did not ask for this work to be done at that time. No mention of the 17N03 was put it in the work order.
Hopefully I'll find out more soon.

Back