• Register Today It's free!

Wacky HVAC

JCNTX

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
So, I took my 2013 Explorer in for an exhaust leak which was a Ford recall. When I got it back the HVAC started acting weird. The modes change without being touched. It switches from defrost to AC to feet and sometimes the temperature changes. I've had it back twice and finally took it to another Ford house. After they ran diagnosis said that it was not giving an error code and could not fix it. Now what?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I took my 2013 Explorer in for an exhaust leak which was a Ford recall. When I got it back the HVAC started acting weird. The modes change without being touched. It switches from defrost to AC to feet and sometimes the temperature changes. I've had it back twice and finally took it to another Ford house. After they ran diagnosis said that it was but giving an error code and could not fix it. Now what?????
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As sheltonfilms mentioned, the issue is likely due to the work your original dealer performed so it should be up to them to check this out and make it right.
Also, did you leave something out in a sentence in your post. "After they ran diagnosis said that it was but giving an error code and could not fix it."

Peter

Yes, Should say NOT giving an error code. The problem seems to be that it is not consistently doing this unusual thing and not registering in their computer system as an error. I'm really frustrated, because to replace the computer system would cost upwards of $1000.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As sheltonfilms mentioned, the issue is likely due to the work your original dealer performed so it should be up to them to check this out and make it right.
Also, did you leave something out in a sentence in your post. "After they ran diagnosis said that it was but giving an error code and could not fix it."

Peter

Pull the battery cable for a few minutes, re-attach.

Are the control displays changing with the changes in the climate settings? Or are the settings staying fixed but it's changing anyway?

Pull the battery cable for a few minutes, re-attach.

Are the control displays changing with the changes in the climate settings? Or are the settings staying fixed but it's changing anyway?
There really is no rhyme or reason as to how it changes. Maybe once on an hour or sometimes 50 times in a minute! It makes the touch tone noise. Sometimes it changes modes and other times it even changes the temp. Crazy.

Take it back to the dealer. They messed with it and now it doesn't work correctly. The need to correct it on their dime.

I know is sounds stupid.. but make sure those buttons on the the sony console are clean, and you don't have a usb/phone charging cable hanging against it. Those capacitive buttons were really sensitive in my '13. This exact thing happened to me twice. Once when I changed the oil and had some left on my hands, and the other when I had my phone charging while in a cradle and the cord was hanging down over the buttons on the sony unit.

Thank you. It doesn't sound stupid bc I'm desperate. Lol. It's going back in the shop next Tuesday. This is getting old.

I know is sounds stupid.. but make sure those buttons on the the sony console are clean, and you don't have a usb/phone charging cable hanging against it. Those capacitive buttons were really sensitive in my '13. This exact thing happened to me twice. Once when I changed the oil and had some left on my hands, and the other when I had my phone charging while in a cradle and the cord was hanging down over the buttons on the sony unit.
So, the mystery is solved. Seems that the phone plug in the storage area next to the SD card and audio jacks interferes with the sync system. Moved everything back to the console and viola... Hasn't happened since. Thank you so much.

Back