APIM replacement... location, part No, how to? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

APIM replacement... location, part No, how to?

SimLam

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer, XLT
Hey all -
Our 2011 explorer main screen is dead. Disconnecting the battery at first restarted it but 2 days later dead again and the same fix no longer working. Dealer has been great they diagnosed it and said a module needs replaced (thinks he said the APIM but will double check). I am now outside of the 5 year APIM warranty extension, and even though its covered under the premium care extended warranty I purchased in full 2 yrs ago, im unfortunately at a point where i just have to fix this myself...
(long story short, ford protect acknowledged my payment in 2014 but accidentaly put the wrong VIN on file - and after 2 weeks "making the correction" they still haven't fixed the VIN, and keep feeding me a bunch of BS why its taking so long.. mean while dealer still cant fix the car. Im obvioulsy getting screwed by ford protect while wife and kids stuck without a functional car so just going to fix it myself)
Anyway - wondering if anyway can advise me on a few basics:
a) where is the APIM located?
b) what is the part number, where do i purchase? (i have a 2011)
c) can anyone explain the how to?... im hoping its just a plug and play/update software process?

Appreciate any leads! (sorry new to the Forum... correct me if im posting wrong)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all -
Our 2011 explorer main screen is dead. Disconnecting the battery at first restarted it but 2 days later dead again and the same fix no longer working. Dealer has been great they diagnosed it and said a module needs replaced (thinks he said the APIM but will double check). I am now outside of the 5 year APIM warranty extension, and even though its covered under the premium care extended warranty I purchased in full 2 yrs ago, im unfortunately at a point where i just have to fix this myself...
(long story short, ford extended warranty acknowledge my payment in 2014 but accidentaly put the wrong VIN on file - and after 2 weeks "making the correction" they still haven't fixed the VIN, and keep feeding me a bunch of BS why its taking so long.. mean while dealer still cant fix the car. Im obvioulsy getting screwed by ford warranty while wife and kids stuck without a functional car so just going to fix it myself)
c) can anyone explain the how to?... im hoping its just a plug and play/update software process?

Appreciate any leads! (sorry new to the Forum... correct me if im posting wrong)

APIM(accessory protocol interface module) is the computer that is mounted behind the main screen. Any Sync 2 APIM should be compatible with your screen(as long as the screen hasn't failed) but will need to be programmed with 'as-built' data that corresponds to your VIN number. This will enable the unit to show the correct settings and climate controls for your vehicle.

If you are up to the task of programming your own APIM after installing, you can do this with FORScan(free+free extended license) and a Windows PC + an OBD adapter otherwise the dealer would need to do this with Ford IDS. The as-built programming data can be found online for your vehicle with the VIN number at https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

More about FORScan from the F-150 forum - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

Example Sync 2 APIM - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Sync-2-/162541652036?hash=item25d83cc844:g:9~MAAOSww5hZNGgF&vxp=mtr

Example Sync 2 APIM and screen - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-MyFord...th-Navigation-APIM-and-8-Screen-/263025927592

The OBD adapter I use to program with FORScan - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-USB-...5K80-chip-HS-CAN-MS-CAN-Forscan-/222250642720

APIM(accessory protocol interface module) is the computer that is mounted behind the main screen. Any Sync 2 APIM should be compatible with your screen(as long as the screen hasn't failed) but will need to be programmed with 'as-built' data that corresponds to your VIN number. This will enable the unit to show the correct settings and climate controls for your vehicle. A newer sync 2 unit is prefer

If you are up to the task of programming your own APIM after installing, you can do this with FORScan(free+free extended license) and a Windows PC + an OBD adapter otherwise the dealer would need to do this with Ford IDS. The as-built programming data can be found online for your vehicle with the VIN number at https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

More about FORScan from the F-150 forum - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

Example Sync 2 APIM - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Sync-2-/162541652036?hash=item25d83cc844:g:9~MAAOSww5hZNGgF&vxp=mtr

Example Sync 2 APIM and screen - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-MyFord...th-Navigation-APIM-and-8-Screen-/263025927592

The OBD adapter I use to program with FORScan - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-USB-...5K80-chip-HS-CAN-MS-CAN-Forscan-/222250642720

Wow, that was quick response... thank you so much for the guidance Platinum Owner! much appreciated.

As I mentioned in a reply to your other post, I don't believe you can order a new APIM since the dealer has to return the ones they replace to Ford. As PlatinumOwner alluded to, you can try and find a used one and program it to your Explorer.

Peter

I know this is a bit older but does anyone have sync version 3.8 available. I've been having issues with my mft going black for days at a time and was hoping to try updating to a newer release before attempting to replace and reprogram the APIM. When I try to update out shows my vehicle is up to date with version 3.02 and that was in sept 2012. I haven't had any luck finding an actual link to download a newer version.
Thanks,
Jeff

I know this is a bit older but does anyone have sync version 3.8 available. I've been having issues with my mft going black for days at a time and was hoping to try updating to a newer release before attempting to replace and reprogram the APIM. When I try to update out shows my vehicle is up to date with version 3.02 and that was in sept 2012. I haven't had any luck finding an actual link to download a newer version.
Thanks,
Jeff
Welcome to the Forum Jeff.:wave:
My guess is that it is the APIM. Here is the link to a post with V3.10 which is the latest. MFT Update V3.10 If you read back in the post you should see the link the poster referred to as being V3.8. The syncmyride and other site don't seem to be updated any longer as many have been told they are up-to-date when in fact they were not. Which version of the S/D nav card do you have? Good luck.

Peter

Wow, thank you so much. I have been searching Google all day looking for a link. As soon as I get home ill download and see if it helps. Thanks again

Wow, thank you so much. I have been searching Google all day looking for a link. As soon as I get home ill download and see if it helps. Thanks again
Looks like you finally came to the right place.;)

Peter

Thanks,
Jeff

Doubt a software update will help. Early model APIMs seem to be dying frequently these days. Being a 2012 you are likely outside the 5 year warranty.

Yes, I'm 2 months out off the warranty and I did purchase a used APIM from a 2013 explorer so if it doesn't work ill try to install and reprogram

I would just change it although a 13 apim is the same early generation as the one you are replacing.

I don't have the obd2 adapter yet and I haven't been accepted on the forscan forum yet so I figured this was worth a shot. What year or part number should I be looking for. This 1 has a9 90 day warranty so i could potentially find a newer 1

Well as suspected the update didn't work. As soon as it began updating it went blank and stayed that way for 15min until I shut it down. I pulled the unit and it was hot to the touch. I have installed the new unit and it's working at the moment. It's updating now for about 25min and is almost complete. It is still cool to the touch. I'm guessing something in my old APIM is worn out. This new/used unit is lacking several of the features as well as navigation so hopefully I can get all of it straightened out after I get my obd2 connector

Hi my name Is Red. I’m new at this. I have 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. And i’m Trying to replace my APIM Module. The part number I have on the module is BB5T-14F239-CW . Can you guys tell me where I can get one that’s gonna work. Thank you

Hi my name Is Red. I’m new at this. I have 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. And i’m Trying to replace my APIM Module. The part number I have on the module is BB5T-14F239-CW . Can you guys tell me where I can get one that’s gonna work. Thank you
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
According to this parts website it looks like the part is now BT4Z-14D212-AC
Sound System for 2011 Ford Explorer
You can try eBay. I saw a couple on there the other day. I think they were for a 2013 but you can check that site I linked to see if it has the same number.

Peter

Not sure what you mean by the same shape as yours. All of the sync2 apim are exactly the same as far as shape and plugs. They are just programmed vehicle specific.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is my understanding. See platinum members 1st response at the top of this post

Back