Cold startups

Mickalo

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer w/4.0 4wd
Hello all,

got a 2010 explorer xlt w4.0 4wd. it has about 114k on her. notice lately since our cold winter mornings are back that on occasion, when I first startup in the morning, it sometimes will crank for about 5-6 secs before starting then after that it pops right over no problems the rest of the day. Never notice this during warmer days or nights.

It doesn't do it all the time just mainly if it sits for a day or 2 without starting and below freezing temps overnight. It this something characteristic with 4gens?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my dear, i do not think so that a characteristic of 4th gen, i advice you to test the battery voltage first if it is too old, then you can go for further investigations.

that battery is only about a month old brand new NAPA 850cca and crank just fine just sometimes a delay to fire over.

Hello all,

got a 2010 explorer xlt w4.0 4wd. it has about 114k on her. notice lately since our cold winter mornings are back that on occasion, when I first startup in the morning, it sometimes will crank for about 5-6 secs before starting then after that it pops right over no problems the rest of the day. Never notice this during warmer days or nights.

It doesn't do it all the time just mainly if it sits for a day or 2 without starting and below freezing temps overnight. It this something characteristic with 4gens?

TIA
sounds normal for cold weather, mine will do the same when cold out and been setting for a few days. I see no problems.
2008 4.0

yea I'm beginning to think so. Went out this am around 4:30am to take my daughter to work it's was about 16F outside and it popped right over.

on mine I force it to do exactly what yours is doing by holding down the acc peddle for 3 seconds to get oil pumping to the cams then lift off and fires right up..... i just do not like the valve train chatter these things make on long sitting cold starts

thanks all for the info appreciate it. guess as long as it starts up nothing to worry about.

Happy holidays :)

It should absolutely NOT take 5 seconds to start the motor. Could be your check valve leaking slowly, and leaving you with an empty fuel line. Try turning the key to on, waiting 5 seconds, then trying to start it. If it starts faster, this is probably your issue.

thanks for the info will check that next time it does this. this morning it's about -5F here went to start it up earlier, after sitting all day yesterday and last night, and it popped right over after just a couple of cranks.

Use Block Heater !!!

Most explorers don’t have block heaters. Plus, they put a major hurting on your electric bill. I’d much rather fix the root cause, than band aid it. No reason it shouldn’t start at -20 without issues.

not sure what the problem may have been but the last few days with the major cold temps we've had here in NW. IA it has started every morning now after just a few cranks and it sits outside in parking lot. The battery and cable are in good shape too no problems.

Back