5th Gen Explorer With LED Light Bar | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5th Gen Explorer With LED Light Bar

How do you attach a pic?
The easiest way to post pictures is by taking out a $20 Elite membership which allows you to post directly from your device and also supports the Forum. The other method is to find a 3rd party hosting site but those pictures then will not be saved on the Forum's servers and as you can see when scrolling through this thread, they have a habit of disappearing which is very frustrating.
I'm not sure what you meant in another post about a sensor in the middle. I'm not aware of one in that location. Are you perhaps referring to the front camera/washer?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's mine - fit perfectly behind the grill.

all_star_explorer.jpg

Size / Brand of the light bar?
do you have photos of the mounting?
did you have to remove bumper?

Size / Brand of the light bar?
do you have photos of the mounting?
did you have to remove bumper?
Here's what I found looking at his posts;
(EDIT: Links provided here are no longer valid)
There are no pictures that I've been able to find.

Peter

Has anyone put a led light bar on a2016/17 explorer? I want to put one on mine, but don't want to take the grille out. The shutters block a way to run the wire in front of the radiator.

Guys I did this install over a year ago...so a little light on details. Here are the products I used. It was a tight fit but the bumper went back on fine. I used instructions for a bull bumper on how to remove the bumper. I did have to use some aluminum stand offs that I custom cut to fit. I used a wireless mictuning relay and have a remote in the cab. Works very well on rural back roads.

Screenshot_20171211-194639.jpg

Screenshot_20171211-194758.jpg

20161106_084145.jpg

20161106_095340.jpg

20161106_104536.jpg

20161106_114902.jpg

20161228_085159.jpg

I have a trans cooler which meant I couldn't mount it in the middle of the grill, although I would have loved to do that. After poking around a bit I decided to mount on the lower grill opening using some aluminum bar stock to support the plastic bumper. I was able to hide most of the wires and ran the switch through a grommet in the passenger side firewall. The light is a single row 21" but it's plenty bright.

20171212_072354.jpg

Looking for 2 wires to tap. One for the led light bar and the other for the grill lights in my raptor style grill. I would like the hi beam headlights for the light bar and any running lights for the grill. Thanks

Looking for 2 wires to tap. One for the led light bar and the other for the grill lights in my raptor style grill. I would like the hi beam headlights for the light bar and any running lights for the grill. Thanks

Can't speak for the running lights as I have a 2012, but the procedure is basically the same for any lights you want to tap.

The easiest (in my opinion) hi-beam wire to tap is the wire going to the hi-beam bulb, which you can see by looking down the back of the headlight assembly (not much space back there however). If you have a basic power tester (I use one that has a little bulb that lights up when there's power, that you stick into the wire you want to test, so you'd stick it in the back of the connector for the light rather than poke a hole in your wire. You could also use a clamp power tester if you have one, or any other style) you can just test each wire to see when the hi-beam / drl lights have power vs not. The readout should be 0 when it's off. Then tap that wire for your new light's positive wire. One note, you may want to check the power draw of your new lights (if they're big) that they don't have some massive power-draw as then the fuse used for the lights that you tap may draw too much (you'd check the amps, not the voltage). Usually a lights-only fuse is ~15 amps, but you can see this in the Ford manual in the fuse section. On my 2012 I think I recall amp draw for low+hi-beams (LED) is about 4 to 4.5 amps per light, but this undoubtedly varies per car.

If you have the light bar hooked into the high beams than I think you won't be able to use high beams on the road as I believe there is a limit to the amount of light that you can legally use on the highways. Have you looked into that? Probably won't pass a safety inspection. I think you'd be better off putting them on a separate switch.

Peter

If you have the light bar hooked into the high beams than I think you won't be able to use high beams on the road as I believe there is a limit to the amount of light that you can legally use on the highways. Have you looked into that? Probably won't pass a safety inspection. I think you'd be better off putting them on a separate switch.

Peter
Thanks for the heads up. I don't have to pass safety or emissions inspections. I live in the country and could really use the extra light in the dark and rain.

Operation Stealth Light Bar Aux Lighting
Picked up some nice new ultra slim profile lighting products recently. Planning on doing a hidden install of them behind the grille activated by a in cabin switch. Should be nice to supplement the lacking LED Reflector high beam throw.

Few pics so far below. Depending on weather will determine how fast i get to this since its winter here.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20181028144518364_COVER.jpg

IMG_20181201_174536.jpg

IMG_20181201_175421.jpg

IMG_20181201_183842.jpg

Operation Stealth Light Bar Aux Lighting
..................................................Should be nice to supplement the lacking LED Reflector high beam throw............................
If you installed LED bulbs in a housing designed for halogen bulbs, that is the result you will get. The light may be brighter but LED bulbs require a specific housing because the light is produced differently. There have been several posts regarding the shorter distance. You probably would have been better off with the halogen. The high beam halogens in mine throw light quite a distance.
Looking forward to the final install.:)

Peter

If you installed LED bulbs in a housing designed for halogen bulbs, that is the result you will get. The light may be brighter but LED bulbs require a specific housing because the light is produced differently. There have been several posts regarding the shorter distance. You probably would have been better off with the halogen. The high beam halogens in mine throw light quite a distance.
Looking forward to the final install.:)

Peter

Sorry I misspoke. I did not mean just specifically the high beam output I did not replace the high beams with LEDs equivilent bulbs. But the whole lighting outfit on the explorer is quite poor. In regards to other methods of light distribution. Especially when compared to a proper bi-xenon hid retrofit of equivilent years technology

Hi Everyone.

I just bought myself a 2018 Explorer XLT in Black/Black, a big difference from my 1998 EX from over 10 years ago.

As part of my dealer deal, I got 6 oil changes and 2x LED light bars install on my truck.
My Appointment is for in about 10 days, and I am responsible for purchasing the LED light bars, fine with me!

So I am looking for a place to install these 2x LED light bars, both of the upper open areas would work, and would fit up to a 24" light bar, they do have the open/close vents, but screw it, Im sure itll be fine... (and the vents can be cut)

So Im thinking of installing them on the upper open areas.

Now Im not sure if I should get a white upper and lower, a white upper and amber lower, or RGB bars becuase its fun; on both of them... Anyone have any experience with this on the 2016-2019 mode years? I've seen the cool orange explorer on Google, but am having a hard time finding a single LED bar that is also not very deep.

Anyone install LED Light Bars or even better RGB bars on these trucks? pref 2016-2019 styles.. pretty please.. :) :)

ghosted, your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Thanks for the merge.

So I have the light bars now in the mail. I have a 24" and a 20" RGB bar. The dealer is going to install them for me.

I've been looking everywhere for a stock looking aux lighting switch but haven't found much. Anyone with an interceptor care to chime in if you have any additional switches? I would love to pick up a stock looking interceptor part if i can find it to make the bars work.

UPDATE:
I think I figured it out. These two parts on a vehicle without the extra switches will give me three buttons. 2018 explorer xlt

Switch Panel - Ford FB5Z-7804338-DA

Tract Control Switch - Ford (BB5Z-13D730-AA)

Ive ordered these two parts, Ill update as to how it works out. I might need to find a sticker or something to stick on top of the stock switch designs

Setina Push Bumper -- LED Lighting (Gen 5)

Looking for the best LED Light Bars to mount to a Setina Push Bumper (PB-400VS) on my 2014 Explorer Sport. 30-33" avail on upper bar / 20" avail on lower bar. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, post #52 has a Setina with a light bar. Also, there is also another thread with a post showing a similar setup; Push Bar for Explorer. Also, check out this post #164 in the same thread.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did this today

Adding some incognito light bars behind the grill

IMG_20190106_182406_378.jpg

Done!
IMG_20190106_192317.jpg

Without lightbar
IMG_20190106_193901.jpg

With lightbar. Might raise it up a tad.
IMG_20190106_193715-01.jpg

IMG_20190106_193748.jpg

Back