Cannot engage 4x4 unless driving over 30 mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cannot engage 4x4 unless driving over 30 mph

crispins

Reaction score
City, State
Pigeon Forge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport trac
***EDIT**** SOLVED, SEE NEW POST AT BOTTOM.....

Hello all.

I am looking to get this problem fixed as with winter here I need to be able to get my truck into 4x4 whenever needed.

Currently if I am stopped or driving slow turning the knob to 4x4 I can hear the relay clicking under the passenger side dash but it will not go into 4x4

However if I am driving over 30 mph or so it will go right into 4x4 and the dash light will stay lit.

I currently have the ABS light lit up n the dash but my scanner will not give me any codes.

I do have issues with the rear tires locking up so I am thinking that I may have a rear ABS sensor problem.

My speedo shows correct and my transmission shift correctly.

What should I do to fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to have the ABS codes pulled and fix that issue first, most likely.

You need to have the ABS codes pulled and fix that issue first, most likely.
ABS has now been fixed, I have no dash lights on at all.

Still having the same issue.

I tried it again today, when I place it into 4x4 I hear the relay clicking under the dash and as soon as I reach 40 mph it will engage.

I really need to get the 4x4 working, it is winter and I cannot get around without it.

Please help!

can I get any ideas for this issue please?

I posted this in the Explorer section knowing that there is MUCH more traffic over there but a mod quickly deleted it.

i wish they would delete this thread instead as there is no traffic over here at all.

It shows up in the list regardless of where. It’s a weird issue I’ve never heard of.

What do you mean by engage? Do the lights come on then? Does your ABS function as well as the light being out?

It shows up in the list regardless of where. It’s a weird issue I’ve never heard of.

What do you mean by engage? Do the lights come on then? Does your ABS function as well as the light being out?

Engage - I mean the 4x4 starts, the light glows on the dash and I can tell that it is in 4 wheel drive

Yes rear ABS is now working, the rear used to lock up if I hit the brakes hard and now they do not.

I cannot get the 4wd to come on unless I am moving at least 40 mph.

I have tried putting it in neutral, reversing, stopping, park, ect...

I was stuck in some mud not that long ago and had to get pulled out as I could not get it to go into 4 wd no matter what I tried.

After it engages at speed does it stay in if you stop?

I’d suspect the front speed sensors first. I would think they would trigger the ABS light to be on, however.

Solved the problem.

it was the shift motor.

I bought a new unit from Ebay for $70

Swapped it out in about 10 mins.

Now as soon as I switch it to 4 wheel high it goes into it.

Cannot believe I dealt with it for over a year not working for such an easy fix.

Back