2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 54 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put in the K-Seal Friday (last week) and ran it for about an hour (mix of idling and driving it around) and let it sit for 2 days. Have not had a drop of anything leaking since (so far, lol).

Picked up a new to me (used) 2017 WRX limited 6 speed yesterday. Now to sell my SVT Focus lol :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ditto, those are fun cars I hear, a coworker bought a red one last year.

Thanks!! Trying to get use to a different clutch after driving my SVT focus manual transmission for 15+ years is a bit weird lol.

A few things I need to address on the WRX like a tad bit of rust under the hood on a couple bolts...

I read that some IronX paste maybe can help with the rust and then a good cleaning (simple green for automotive) and a light coating of WD40 to help keep it from returning.. and maybe wd40 for the aluminum?

Xploder seems to still be leak free and driving strong... still need to swap in new transmission fluid to hopefully address some shuddering when it shifts under low acceleration (shifts fine if I'm punching it). Also still need a new windshield and the plastic wiper hood vent piece and some other odds and ends :D

Have been messing with the WRX over the past few weeks... added a Cobb Accessport stage 1 OTS and have a Cobb big sf intake to install as well as a short throw shifter and shift stop.

Still need to get the SVT focus up and running again as well, blah. Has been raining a ton and it's been COLD out :-/

Still need to get around to installing my driver side window motor when the weather acts right :D

Not much has changed. Driving the Xploder a day or 2 each week and when it's nasty out (supposed to get ice/snow tomorrow so will be driving it tomorrow if I have to go into work).

Have someone coming to possibly buy my old SVT focus Saturday.

Xploder has been driving nicely. Once I sell the SVT focus I'll be buying some AMSOIL transmission fluid and draining and filling the Xploder.

Will just dropping the pan, draining the fluid, and also draining it from the converter (pop the plug), and filling it be good.. or should I try to flush it through the cooler lines or something (if that works?)

I also plan to change my front and rear diff and transmission (shares with front diff) on the WRX with AMSOIL sd gear oil.

Installed my Cobb big sd intake on the WRX a few weeks ago as well... Not to difficult and looks great (and sounds awesome) :D

You'll do great with just draining the pan and TC. The only fluid you can't get out will be up in the VB and above. It'll likely be about 10+ quarts, the total being a little over 12 if you dropped the VB.

Check on the WRX trans and diff, for the right fluid, the typical gear oil is too thick for a trans. Amsoil might have the right fluid needed, but start with the recommendation from the manual.

I hope the snow/rain/ice isn't bad tomorrow night. I had my snow tires on one day and took them off. I don't want to do it again so soon. I did buy new snow tires, Nokian studded, but I didn't have 17" wheels yet. I just got a used set, and half cleaned them today. I might try to get them mounted tomorrow if I can, I like to get the road force balance done on bigger or nicer wheels/tires. So Ted Russell will get my call to see how busy they are. Stay warm.

You'll do great with just draining the pan and TC. The only fluid you can't get out will be up in the VB and above. It'll likely be about 10+ quarts, the total being a little over 12 if you dropped the VB.

Check on the WRX trans and diff, for the right fluid, the typical gear oil is too thick for a trans. Amsoil might have the right fluid needed, but start with the recommendation from the manual.

I hope the snow/rain/ice isn't bad tomorrow night. I had my snow tires on one day and took them off. I don't want to do it again so soon. I did buy new snow tires, Nokian studded, but I didn't have 17" wheels yet. I just got a used set, and half cleaned them today. I might try to get them mounted tomorrow if I can, I like to get the road force balance done on bigger or nicer wheels/tires. So Ted Russell will get my call to see how busy they are. Stay warm.

Yeah.. the WRX takes 75w90 and a lot of people seem to say it does quite well so that is what I'll run with.

For the Xploder I will probably go with AMSOIL OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid and if I can swap out about 10qts without needing to do more than just draining the pan and tc I will be happy with that though I did see the capacity is something like almost 14 quarts total.

Thanks and enjoy the snow/ice! ;) lol

Don't forget the trans filter too, those should be done with fluid.

The Amsoil ATF is available in a 10 quart size, 2.5 gallons. I've bought those twice before, but it is easier to pour out of the gallon size. That big size is about the only savings there is, usually the quarts are about as good as the bulk sizes.

Truck still seems to be running well... Haven't seen any more coolant leaks.

Plan to do the transmission fluid soon, maybe in 2 weeks or so.. kind of waiting on some nicer weather :D

Do notice a split second of a belt chirp/squeak when I first start the truck up when cold out but sound goes away as soon as the truck fully turns over and fires up. Don't think that is of any concern?

Just maybe,

Try this. Grab a 1/4" drive 5.5mm socket, a 1/4" swivel, and long extension. 12" or greater is better.

This will get you into the cam sensor to remove just the cap. Use a syringe with a little trans fluid ( marvels oil is better) and squirt some under the rotating piece. Slowly. Stop when you see it run out the weep hole of the synch unit. Wipe up the little mess, let it soak in a while, and see if the chirp goes away on start up. If it does I'd run it like that.

Just maybe,

Try this. Grab a 1/4" drive 5.5mm socket, a 1/4" swivel, and long extension. 12" or greater is better.

This will get you into the cam sensor to remove just the cap. Use a syringe with a little trans fluid ( marvels oil is better) and squirt some under the rotating piece. Slowly. Stop when you see it run out the weep hole of the synch unit. Wipe up the little mess, let it soak in a while, and see if the chirp goes away on start up. If it does I'd run it like that.

Cool, thanks for the tip! I will need to do this when I get my AMSOIL transmission fluid in a few weeks.

Also.. was delving into my old posts and emails and such... For anyone who happens to read this and plans to delete their EGR and are in process of looking for an EGR block off plate... our 5.0 v8s (at least my year 2000) uses the EGR plates that work with the 4.6L v8 in the Mustang GT's of 1996-2004, such as this plate: Mustang 4.6L Billet EGR Block Off delete ford gt crownvic 96-04 w/Gasket 969096G | eBay, and not the EGR block off plate from the 94-95 Mustang GT 5.0L. Our EGR has the single center hole and not the dual holes like the 94-95 Mustang for some reason as it seems most of our stuff is similar to the 94-95 Mustang on most everything else lol :D

Not a ton going on past few weeks... Picked up transmission filter and transmission fluid... Hope to do the fluid change when I get some nice weather and time off :D Also have oil and oil filter and when I do that replace the oil sender sensor thing if I can figure out where it is, haha. Also need to install driver side window regulator.

I've also been stocking up on stuff for the WRX, lol. Picked up some AMSOIL 75w90 sd gear lube and hope to change out the transmission/front diff (shared) and rear diff soon as well.

Added a Cobb big sf intake and a Cobb Accessport v3 and am running an off the shelf tune for now. Picked up a pile of parts for the WRX already and have a baseline e-tune from one of the top WRX tuners alrdy ready to go for when I get everything installed :D

Just installed a Boomba short throw shifter (talk about a pain in the ass process haha), Perrin shift stop, and a 650g weighted shift knob. Shifts are 100x better, insane difference.

It's been quiet over the past few months (well.. since I got my WRX, lol). Have been mostly working on the WRX lately... have the car up on jack stands over the past week doing a good amount of stuff to it and back driving my Explorer in the meantime.. Forgot how nice the Explorer drives after all the work I did with it (thank you everyone for all the help)... Also reminded me of the few things I still need to do with the Explorer, lol.

Once I finish with current mods on my WRX it's back to working on the Explorer...

> Replace transmission fluid (have the fluid and filter in my garage)
> Change oil and the sender thing
> Replace driver side window motor (have in garage)
> Replace windshield (ugh lol)
> Replace plastic piece under windshield (looks ugly without one lol)
> Touch up paint in a few spots
> Fix fender clear coat
> New tune
> CLEAN IT lol

I've been busy with the WRX and recently just installed an Invidia catless J-pipe, Invidia r400 exhaust, Perrin turbo oil sump, type n transmission mount, whiteline positive shift kit, Perrin turbo inlet w/nozzle, Grimmspeed 3 port ebcs, and boomba full recirc bypass valve... have in garage to install once weather allows... soku rear diff mount bushing inserts, soku rear sub-frame crossmember bushing lock down spacers, p& lower tgv deletes, p&l lower tgv housings, Perrin pitch stop mount and brace, IAG EGR delete, and then flash my e-tune and datalog/dial in the tune... Not to much to go lol :D It's been fun working on a newer car... LESS RUST! Lol.

Also changed out the shift knob and got the windows tinted (ceramic ctx15 all the way around).. also pulled the emblems off and replaced the side emblem with a matte black one and the rear stuff all off but put just a matte black wrx emblem :D

A few photos..

Back