2016 Explorer Total LED Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Total LED Swap

Hey Frank. The only reason I can see for leaving the map lights with incandescent bulbs is that it actually takes your eyes several minutes to adjust to the dark so the brighter the light the longer the adjustment period. Just a guess. Having all the interior lights as LED I would think would make driving at night a little harder on the driver if someone wanted to do some reading etc. in the 2nd or 3rd rows. I'll stick with the present setup until Ford comes around and enables individual lights to be turned off again.

Peter

There is another reason, if you were actually using them for maps. Most (if not all) of the LED bulbs have very poor CRI, potentially making them worse for viewing colors on a map (or whatever).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Frank. The only reason I can see for leaving the map lights with incandescent bulbs is that it actually takes your eyes several minutes to adjust to the dark so the brighter the light the longer the adjustment period. Just a guess. Having all the interior lights as LED I would think would make driving at night a little harder on the driver if someone wanted to do some reading etc. in the 2nd or 3rd rows. I'll stick with the present setup until Ford comes around and enables individual lights to be turned off again.

Peter

I agree with Peter on this one. I will not be adding led map lights for the very reason he stated. However, the rest of my 2016 now has a full LED conversion except turn signal bulbs because I dont want to deal with hyper-flash or resistors.

I run LEDs at front and rear signals.

If you don't change the ABD for the BCM, it will hyperflash, but ONLY on the inside -- external flashing is normal.

If you change the ABD for the BCM, you can turn off the bulb outage check and get a normal flash without the use of resistors. I didn't wanna screw around with resistors, either.

Can you change the bulbs in the 2nd and 3rd row dome lights to LED bulbs?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum MRoller2898.:wave:
Your thread was moved to this existing one that should answer your question as the above member posted. There are other thread/posts as well on how to do it. Becoming familiar with the use of the Forum's "search' feature in the upper right is a good first step to locate existing topics.
How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY
Good luck.

Peter

I've replaced my map light incandescents with the Sylvania LED Cool Whites and so far, I've been happy. I can actually see things now. I saw someone mention the 578 44mm LEDs for the cargo area. Sylvania makes a 578 41mm, though the ends are shaped different (loops vs cones). Can anyone confirm the correct size and will the shape matter? Anyone else using Sylvania LEDs?

Hi, I'm new here and would like to find out what everyone is using for their fog lights. I hate how the fogs on my 16 are yellow and the headlights are white. Thanks!

Hi, I'm new here and would like to find out what everyone is using for their fog lights. I hate how the fogs on my 16 are yellow and the headlights are white. Thanks!

They're supposed to be yellower. LED swap to a colder color temperature bluish-white light for fog lights is the worst option, is as likely to create a wall of reflected light back at you instead of seeing through the fog.

Your vision could be worse with them on than off. If you do go LED, at least get a VERY warm tinted LED variant and even then I'd think about putting a yellow filter in front of them.

Check out this article, Daniel Stern knows lighting and has several useful articles on his site:

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The reason they appear as 'yellow' is that you probably have the Limited with the halogen bulbs. LED fog lights were a "Late Availability" item for the 2016 Limited.
2016 Limited fog light question.

Peter

2017 Sport LED tail lights?

I know that on the 2017 Sport the low beams and fogs are LED and the high beams are halogen.

What about the turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, etc? Are these also LED or are they incandescent bulbs? If they aren't LED, I'm looking to replace them with LED bulbs.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

You can definitively swap out the reverse lights, license plate lights, puddle lights, and all the inside lights except the light about the third row. You can switch out the high beams as well. I am looking to get something brighter and whiter myself.

Brake/tail lights are already LED. Turn signals, I want to say they're not LED and potentially able to be swapped.

I've always used this site | SYLVANIA Automotive for bulb replacement. Should clarify bulb type and what can/can't be switched(for the most part).

I know that on the 2017 Sport the low beams and fogs are LED and the high beams are halogen.

What about the turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, etc? Are these also LED or are they incandescent bulbs? If they aren't LED, I'm looking to replace them with LED bulbs.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
Pages 295 and 296 in your Owner's Manual shows the type of bulbs. Many members have changed both interior and exterior lights to LED. The Forum has a handy "Search' feature in the upper right that you should familiarize your self with. There isn't much here that hasn't already been discussed. Here is the one on interior and puddle lamps. How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Peter

Thanks!

For anyone who winds up here later in a search..

6t9k8.png

apologies if this was posted somewhere else, i couldn't find it.

I'm picking up a new 2018 Platinum tomorrow and was just curious if there was any lights i would need to swap to LED, whether that be because they are not LED or they are but not daylight. Coming from a 15 Escape i had to replace a bunch of bulbs, inside and out. i know the fogs are LED, but wondering about things like the license plate light, puddle lights and such. and interior wise, are the dome lights and cargo area lights all LED? i would hope that paying this much for a top trim level i wouldn't have to worry about any, but i have the feeling i will.

apologies if this was posted somewhere else, i couldn't find it.

I'm picking up a new 2018 Platinum tomorrow and was just curious if there was any lights i would need to swap to LED, whether that be because they are not LED or they are but not daylight. Coming from a 15 Escape i had to replace a bunch of bulbs, inside and out. i know the fogs are LED, but wondering about things like the license plate light, puddle lights and such. and interior wise, are the dome lights and cargo area lights all LED? i would hope that paying this much for a top trim level i wouldn't have to worry about any, but i have the feeling i will.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one that should be helpful. Your Owner's Manual will have a list of the bulbs used in the Explorer and their type. The only change to the above bulb chart seems to be the addition of the LED High Beams which are new for 2018. I've never found a "need" to replace any bulbs on the last 3 vehicles I had but then, everyone has their own ideas. There are also links within this thread to other ones on LED upgrades. For an easy puddle lamp upgrade see post #507 in the link provided in post #35 above.

Peter

Original poster:

The rear and front turn signals you want are the 3157 and 7440 with one minor twist. You want the 3157A and 7440A (Amber) the turn signals are a clear lens so you want a amber bulb. I personally would recommend upgrading to LED but get the type with the Built in resistors. About as plug and play as you can get and you wont get the dreaded Hyper Flash. My 2018 appears to have all interior lights LED so no problem there. I went with 7440A with built in resistors for rear turn signals and 7440 for rear back up lights. Brake and running lights are already factory LED. IF your questioning about the rear back up lights and rear turn signals/flashers being the same bulb...YES. The only difference is the back up lamps are regular 7440 and turn signals/flashers are 7440A (Amber) For the back up lights you don't need the resistor since the back up light is a steady current not flashing.

Installation notes.

Front Turn Signals...…… Corrections. HyperFlash…......Rotate bulb 180 degrees in the SAME socket.
Flickering...……...Swap bulbs from Left-Right Right-Left.

Rear: If you get the bulbs with the resistors built in there should be no corrections. Rears are a touch simpler. They pretty much either work or don't. If they don't
work rotate the bulb 180 degrees in the same socket. Check the OEM Bulbs coming out and match the metal conductor strips.

I recommend testing bulbs one at a time preferably before installing in the lens assembly.

I also upgraded the High Beams to a 6000K LED so my vehicle can pretty much melt rust of the Titanic. O.K Not that good but you get the idea. My local airport sent me a letter and told me I can't use High beams within 10 miles of the terminal area. Again not that good but you get the idea.!!

FYI the rear back up lamps should be available in the LED version at major retailers...…..the Turn signals with resistors you might have to shop Amazon but check around first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run LEDs at front and rear signals.

If you don't change the ABD for the BCM, it will hyperflash, but ONLY on the inside -- external flashing is normal.

If you change the ABD for the BCM, you can turn off the bulb outage check and get a normal flash without the use of resistors. I didn't wanna screw around with resistors, either.
Im looking to replace my front and rear turn signals also, could you tell me where you got yours and are they at least as bright as the original bulbs? Thanks

Back