1992 Explorer, seized tranny and fried starter wire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer, seized tranny and fried starter wire

Quinn Marsden

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992, Explorer XLT
Hello, just swapped a bad tranny out of my 1992 xlt for a good one out of my '91. Finally got the whole thing in the '92, but when I go to start it I just hear a click, I believe from the starter solenoid making the click. I leave the key at the on position and pop the hood only to find smoke coming from the small red wire going to the starter. So I take the starter out and try testing it with a battery charger set to engine start and it turns slowly. I tried turning the engine over with a wrench but it won't budge. Any suggestions on what to do next? I had to use the bolt to suck the tranny up to the engine, did I not seat the splines properly or something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have probably pushed the crankshaft so far forward that the thrust bearing is tying up the crank from turning.
roscoe

Hello, just swapped a bad tranny out of my 1992 xlt for a good one out of my '91. Finally got the whole thing in the '92, but when I go to start it I just hear a click, I believe from the starter solenoid making the click. I leave the key at the on position and pop the hood only to find smoke coming from the small red wire going to the starter. So I take the starter out and try testing it with a battery charger set to engine start and it turns slowly. I tried turning the engine over with a wrench but it won't budge. Any suggestions on what to do next? I had to use the bolt to suck the tranny up to the engine, did I not seat the splines properly or something?

I'd replace the starter, and the main power wires to it and the battery. Old age does those parts in eventually.

I have a spare 93 A4LD, how far are you from TN?

I'd replace the starter, and the main power wires to it and the battery. Old age does those parts in eventually.

I have a spare 93 A4LD, how far are you from TN?
Thanks, pulled the tranny out again and this time seated the TC onto the tranny first and put it back. Drives like a dream

you have probably pushed the crankshaft so far forward that the thrust bearing is tying up the crank from turning.
roscoe
I think you were right, took the TC off and seated it into the trans first and then put it back. Now it works perfect. Thanks!

I think you were right, took the TC off and seated it into the trans first and then put it back. Now it works perfect. Thanks!
That sounds kind of common for the V6 transmissions. I'm just pulling my 99 trans to rebuild, and I too plan to stand it up to seat the TC well, lock it in, and then stab it.

That sounds kind of common for the V6 transmissions. I'm just pulling my 99 trans to rebuild, and I too plan to stand it up to seat the TC well, lock it in, and then stab it.
Ya, be sure it "clicks" in like 3 times, I thought I had it but I kept turning and pushing it into the tranny and it went in some more.

Back