Explorer Brake Upgrades | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Would upgrading to Sport / PIU brakes jeopardize my Ford extended warranty if installed by a non-dealer shop?

What would approximate shop time be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would upgrading to Sport / PIU brakes jeopardize my Ford extended warranty if installed by a non-dealer shop?

What would approximate shop time be?

Ford parts on a Ford vehicle should not be an issue if there was a problem the dealer would have to prove your new Sport PIU brakes caused the problem.

I think a 4 wheel brake job is done as a package set price, I would hazard a guess of 2 hrs shop time.

Benny from Levittown Ford Super Center had some really good pricing on parts.

Since being on this forum for a few years I know several on here have switched from the smalls to the bigs and they raved about the difference.

When the Explorer Team did this change it was simply to address some of the issues the smaller brakes were having and as well reduce brake part complexity at the plant.

Ford parts on a Ford vehicle should not be an issue if there was a problem the dealer would have to prove your new Sport PIU brakes caused the problem.

I think a 4 wheel brake job is done as a package set price, I would hazard a guess of 2 hrs shop time.

Benny from Levittown Ford Super Center had some really good pricing on parts.

Since being on this forum for a few years I know several on here have switched from the smalls to the bigs and they raved about the difference.

When the Explorer Team did this change it was simply to address some of the issues the smaller brakes were having and as well reduce brake part complexity at the plant.

Just checked my ETIS, "Standsard Duty Fr/Rr Calp and Pads."

Darn, was hoping mine made the 2013 upgrade cut.

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum, hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong section but here it goes.

I just got my hands in this sweet 14' explorer sport and i love everything about it except the brakes. I want to put a big brake kit in asap, funny thing is there's nothing out there available or for retrofitting. I would appreciate any suggestions if any .

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum, hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong section but here it goes.

I just got my hands in this sweet 14' explorer sport and i love everything about it except the brakes. I want to put a big brake kit in asap, funny thing is there's nothing out there available or for retrofitting. I would appreciate any suggestions if any .
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I think post #16 in this thread would be a good read; Explorer Brake Upgrades

Peter

So, I'm debating between just doing the OEM upgrade, which it looks like will cost me $1050, or using the Powerstop Z23 complete upgrade kit, which will be about $750, for rotors, pads, and calipers, plus separate purchase of new shields and hardware.

Opinions? Thoughts?

I've tried searching....

I have a 2016 Sport. I'm I correct in assuming it has the Heavy Duty Brakes (352 mm Front Rotors)? I was looking at getting Power Stop K6375 Pads/Rotors (noting it may be cheaper, depending on the shipping scheme, purchasing through Rock Auto separately...Z231611, Z231612, AR85142XPR, AR85141XPR).

I've tried searching....

I have a 2016 Sport. I'm I correct in assuming it has the Heavy Duty Brakes (352 mm Front Rotors)? I was looking at getting Power Stop K6375 Pads/Rotors (noting it may be cheaper, depending on the shipping scheme, purchasing through Rock Auto separately...Z231611, Z231612, AR85142XPR, AR85141XPR).

Yes. Your Ex has the "heavy duty" brakes.

I felt the stock brakes on my 13 Sport were barely adequate w/ the standard 20" wheel. But when I installed 22"s it got absurd. So I upgraded to the
EBC® - Stage 9 Super Sleeper Slotted Rear Brake Kit
EBC® - Stage 9 Super Sleeper Slotted Front Brake Kit

The difference was night and day! Lots of power but still very linear feel. You will not regret it. Now when i get in other vehicles they seem to take FOREVER to slow down!
20180202_143916_zpsda2m24nj.jpg

So I have a 15 Sport.. I have about 45k miles already and seems I am going to need do my brakes. I think they are starting to pulse a bit. Do you know if the 15 sport has the big kit from the factory

So I have a 15 Sport.. I have about 45k miles already and seems I am going to need do my brakes. I think they are starting to pulse a bit. Do you know if the 15 sport has the big kit from the factory
It has the same brakes as all other post 2013 Explorers. This post may be of interest; Smallest Rim Size for Explorer

Peter

All Sports have the police brakes, the only difference is the pad composition.

Quieter for retail Sport, higher heat for Police.

Has anyone that purchased the power stop pads get the wrong clips for the front pads? I had to clean and reuse my oem clips. There was no way to make the included ones work.

Otherwise, I finally got the pads & rotors changed out... Only took 8 months.

Has anyone that purchased the power stop pads get the wrong clips for the front pads? I had to clean and reuse my oem clips. There was no way to make the included ones work.

Otherwise, I finally got the pads & rotors changed out... Only took 8 months.

They were definitely different, but I was able to get them installed. It was a pain in the butt, though.

Does anyone know if the current kits have the spring clips? I am referring to the spring clips that go on the top and bottom of the pad frames. They were on my Taurus and worked good. The spring tension clips went between the two pads top and bottom and were helpful in one major item. The tension clips kept the pads from "Riding" the rotor when brakes weren't being used. The tension was enough to keep the pads away from the rotor but when the pedal was applied the caliper would be able to press the pedals in. When pedal was released the tension went back to normal. Obviously the tension clips are a high tension and high wear item so good idea to replace. Problem is some vendors hardware kits supply them and some don't. The other problem is if the clips were not designed as a OEM product then sometimes the pads MAY or MAY NOT have the hole in the corner of the pads to accommodate the spring. Some aftermarket pad kits may have the cutout since that pad may fit more than one vehicle.

Funny how the subject of brakes came up. I was re organizing garage yesterday and came across a couple of treats.

Last fall I was planning on doing a brake job for my 2014 Taurus SHO. I ordered the EBC Yellow stuff kit. Slotted rotors and yellow stuff pads.

I need to verify rotors but as it turns out the Yellow Stuff pads in Dippsters brake upgrade kit, have the same EBC part number as my SHO. I don't need to do brake job for a while but when it does come time it would appear that I have at least the pads already in stock. I have the rotors but the boxes with part numbers are missing. Does anyone know if there is a part number stamped on the rotor itself? I see along the vented face side the minimum thickness stamped but no part number.

If the rotors fit then this is a "Triple Word Score" almost as good as watching the Red Sox Win the World series last night, and even better winning two of the four wins in LA on the road. That's two years in a row where the Dodgers got beat in the World Series.....AT HOME....Just saying!!!

Funny how the subject of brakes came up. I was re organizing garage yesterday and came across a couple of treats.

Last fall I was planning on doing a brake job for my 2014 Taurus SHO. I ordered the EBC Yellow stuff kit. Slotted rotors and yellow stuff pads.

I need to verify rotors but as it turns out the Yellow Stuff pads in Dippsters brake upgrade kit, have the same EBC part number as my SHO. I don't need to do brake job for a while but when it does come time it would appear that I have at least the pads already in stock. I have the rotors but the boxes with part numbers are missing. Does anyone know if there is a part number stamped on the rotor itself? I see along the vented face side the minimum thickness stamped but no part number.

If the rotors fit then this is a "Triple Word Score" almost as good as watching the Red Sox Win the World series last night, and even better winning two of the four wins in LA on the road. That's two years in a row where the Dodgers got beat in the World Series.....AT HOME....Just saying!!!

The front might be the same, but I think Ford took the 2018 rears backwards to the smaller size.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got off phone with R1 Concepts and found the following. The EBC Yellow Stuff pads I have are compatible with 2014 Taurus SHO and 2018 Explorer Sport. That takes care of one part (front and rear pads.)

The rear rotors I have are the same part number as the 2014 SHO so that's part two down.

The front Rotors for the 2014 Taurus SHO and 2018 Explorer sport are the same part number. The only difference I show between the two is the 14SHO front rotors are "Vented Hat' which means there are additional cuts in the center of the rotor hat to provide air circulation. The 18 Explorer OEM rotors are solid hat front and rear. Pending me pulling a tire to test fit does anyone know if the Vented hat rotors will fit if the vehicle was designed with Solid Hat? I think they will but want to get input.

Back