Sport EcoBoost 3.5L Tuning | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport EcoBoost 3.5L Tuning

Anyone in SoCal have a good shop for getting the Livernois tuning kit installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, but having seen that their install service in Detroit includes a few things I don’t have, like my own dyno for custom tuning my 2018 Sport, I thought I’d ask :chug:

I have not heard that they have a tune out for the 2018 Explorer Sport.......have they released it yet?

In my discussions with Livernois they only have their one shop in Dearborn MI.

I have not heard that they have a tune out for the 2018 Explorer Sport.......have they released it yet?

Yup, this is sort of what I’m getting at. If I were to rephrase to:

I’m one of the first in the country to have taken delivery of a 2018 Explorer Sport, and know that a proper custom Dyno tune will be required when installing the tuning kit, as Livernois don’t have a tune out for this model year yet, does anyone in SoCal have a good shop they can recommend for this purpose? As well as some lowering suspension work...

Anyone in SoCal have a good shop for getting the Livernois tuning kit installed?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As mentioned, I don't believe Livernois has a tune yet for the 2018. A member above has contacted them about it but I'm guessing is still waiting for a reply.

Peter

Well, I am assuming with the right equipment, the livernois hardware could be used by any decent performance shop with a dyno to do a custom tune? Anyone from SoCal know of such a shop? (I only know import garages here...this is my first domestic in over 20 years!)

Yes, Just received mine for the 2018 Explorer Sport. Also added a AIRAID CAI, the only missing MOD now is an exhaust, no one is making it yet.

Livernois is amazing, and when you buy, mentioned the Forum and you receive a 35 Dollars discount.
Very happy with it, plus their customer service is very best, in special, David.
Cheers
LCL

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As mentioned, I don't believe Livernois has a tune yet for the 2018. A member above has contacted them about it but I'm guessing is still waiting for a reply.

Peter
Dear Peter, they already have them for:
87, 89, 93 and 93 Towing.
Just received mine.
Awesome.

Dear Peter, they already have them for:
87, 89, 93 and 93 Towing.
Just received mine.
Awesome.

So to confirm - Livernois now have their official 2018 Explorer Sport tunes available for delivery?

So to confirm - Livernois now have their official 2018 Explorer Sport tunes available for delivery?
Yes sir, they did mine, got the tuner and provided them the Strategy Code of my car and ID (as per Livernois instructions).
24 ours later I received the tuning files and VOILA.
DONE DEAL.
Great stuff.
I just need a muffler now. Please help if you already know mufflers for the 2018 Sport.
Cheers
LCL

Here is the impression on my first 200 miles in the 2018 Sport, 93 OCT performance tune from Livernois:
The car has a considerable increase in torque, the shifts are faster than before (not so much lag), the car even sounds a bit different, more aggressive and the top speed and RPM is now noticeable higher.

The only thing so far (which is explained by Livernois when you purchase) your gear changing is a bit rough to change (from 2-3-4) when you are in high REV and in sport mode. Livernois wrote in the instrcutions that this would happen and the computer will eventually learn your driving style and will re-adapt.

I will review again soon after a trip I am taking tomorrow.

GREAT JOB LIVERNOIS, if you are out there reading our posts, thanks a lot again and please advise when there is a performance muffler for the 2018.
Cheers all,
Drive safe

Love this quick and dirty review, much appreciated!

Here is the impression on my first 200 miles in the 2018 Sport, 93 OCT performance tune from Livernois:
The car has a considerable increase in torque, the shifts are faster than before (not so much lag), the car even sounds a bit different, more aggressive and the top speed and RPM is now noticeable higher.

The only thing so far (which is explained by Livernois when you purchase) your gear changing is a bit rough to change (from 2-3-4) when you are in high REV and in sport mode. Livernois wrote in the instrcutions that this would happen and the computer will eventually learn your driving style and will re-adapt.

I will review again soon after a trip I am taking tomorrow.

GREAT JOB LIVERNOIS, if you are out there reading our posts, thanks a lot again and please advise when there is a performance muffler for the 2018.
Cheers all,
Drive safe

Where you lagging before the update? Can you post some Torque update numbers if its a crazy increase that you are stating? Truck can sound different because it has amplifiers built in and the sound is coming out of the speakers.

Hello there,
It would not be easy for me to provide torque numbers as I am not that technical, but yes, the car is very different to what it was before the tuning. Also I noticed a lag and delay on the gear changing and acceleration while stock, it was like it hesitated once you stepped on the gas in the highway from 4 to 5 gears. Not so bad, bad it did feel a lag, which has improved A LOT after the tune.

Here is my second update after 400 miles after TUNE installation:
1- The rough gear changing with high rev from 2-3-4 has minimized, it is almost unnoticeable now
2- When you take-off with high rev, the car now BURNS TIRE even with traction control on (the TC light actually appears for a moment) it never did before
3- The car has much more power at higher speeds when you drop from 6 to 5 or 4 and accelerate, it is noticeable and REAL
4- Gear changing is much smoother, it changes faster and at different rpm now
5- I noticed a increase on the MPG as well. Before I was on the 15.4 Highway (at around XX MPH), now I see almost at least a 16.4 Highway.

I am very happy with the tune and hope you enjoy this simple review so far.

Cheers
LCL

Hello, new to the forum and new to Fords altogether. Any chance anybody here has used a RaceChip tuner? I'm used to tuning BMWs and that's a common tuner. If not, looks like Livernois seems really popular. Anyone else notice an increase in fuel economy besides brazeagle? Not a deal breaker since I have the X5 diesel for that, but it would be nice.

Hello there,
It would not be easy for me to provide torque numbers as I am not that technical, but yes, the car is very different to what it was before the tuning. Also I noticed a lag and delay on the gear changing and acceleration while stock, it was like it hesitated once you stepped on the gas in the highway from 4 to 5 gears. Not so bad, bad it did feel a lag, which has improved A LOT after the tune.

Here is my second update after 400 miles after TUNE installation:
1- The rough gear changing with high rev from 2-3-4 has minimized, it is almost unnoticeable now
2- When you take-off with high rev, the car now BURNS TIRE even with traction control on (the TC light actually appears for a moment) it never did before
3- The car has much more power at higher speeds when you drop from 6 to 5 or 4 and accelerate, it is noticeable and REAL
4- Gear changing is much smoother, it changes faster and at different rpm now
5- I noticed a increase on the MPG as well. Before I was on the 15.4 Highway (at around XX MPH), now I see almost at least a 16.4 Highway.

I am very happy with the tune and hope you enjoy this simple review so far.

Cheers
LCL

I felt the same way after tuning my '16 XSport. It's a different vehicle.

Hello, new to the forum and new to Fords altogether. Any chance anybody here has used a RaceChip tuner? I'm used to tuning BMWs and that's a common tuner. If not, looks like Livernois seems really popular. Anyone else notice an increase in fuel economy besides brazeagle? Not a deal breaker since I have the X5 diesel for that, but it would be nice.
Welcome to the Forum Phil.:wave:
I just used the Forum's 'Search' feature and your post is the only one with "Racechip" in it.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Phil.:wave:
I just used the Forum's 'Search' feature and your post is the only one with "Racechip" in it.

Peter

...and then there's that! Thanks Peter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pre-15 Explorer sport should be the same as the 14 Taurus SHO. I tuned mine to run 12.4 @ 110.9 mph in the 1/4 mile with worn out tires and a 3 year old dirty paper panel filter. I did 6 back to back 1/4 mile runs with almost no variation in speed or ET. We found that the hot air intakes are worthless for power. The key to the tune is to increase boost and timing, and run the right fuel mixture to prevent detonaton. The stock GT1549 turbos are horribly inefficient at anything really over stock boost levels, and the stock intercooler is not capable of rejecting the heat quickly enough. Don't bother with exhaust, intake, or any hardware modifications. I had colder plugs and the colder thermostat without any noticeable difference in detonation reduction or heat rejection.

Back