How to: - SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Removal Procedure | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Removal Procedure

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Don't have anything yet. In fact engine is still in truck at another location. Once it's pulled and gone through it will be transplanted into a '91.

I'll pm you me email. Thank you for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the front crankshaft bolt also need replacing when doing the timing chain replacement?

The only bolts that can be reused are the small mounting bolts for the cassettes etc, the little 8-10mm headed bolts, and the cam bolts(end bolts). They've intended to make people buy a lot of bolts over and over again.

What does it mean when my engine is at #1 top dead center. But the 2 grooves on my balance shaft sprocket arent aligned with the hole on the block?

It may not be out of balance. The note states that it may take up to 7 revolutions of the crankshaft before the marks align.
Does it need to be aligned when replacing the timing chain assembly?

No. The only timing relationship with the balance shaft is the crankshaft.
Ditto, and be very careful around that balance shaft chain and tensioner. Those parts are tiny and very fragile.

Don't have anything yet. In fact engine is still in truck at another location. Once it's pulled and gone through it will be transplanted into a '91.

I'll pm you me email. Thank you for your help.
Stic-o, I'm curious if you have made the SOHC swap into your first gen. I know the SOHC is a wider engine, did you end up cutting the heater box to make it fit?

Stic-o, I'm curious if you have made the SOHC swap into your first gen. I know the SOHC is a wider engine, did you end up cutting the heater box to make it fit?

Haven't got there yet. The old motor should be coming out soon, so I can start figuring it out.

Not enough timing chain slack to get the sprocket up high enough. I replaced the LH side head with one from eBay with comparable milage 150K plus. I used a new gasket with nothing in the way of sealer and a new set of 12 and 8 mm torque to yield bolts carefully torqued to specs. Looking to see if anyone has an idea before I break it down and pull the front cover. Anyone?

Not enough timing chain slack to get the sprocket up high enough. I replaced the LH side head with one from eBay with comparable milage 150K plus. I used a new gasket with nothing in the way of sealer and a new set of 12 and 8 mm torque to yield bolts carefully torqued to specs. Looking to see if anyone has an idea before I break it down and pull the front cover. Anyone?

Have you removed the left camshaft chain tensioner? Have you removed the left camshaft sprocket retaining bolt allowing separation of the sprocket from the camshaft?

Back