Help me decide re: 2-2010 EBs

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
In one corner we have:
A white EB V8 4x4 with 118k with everything I want except nav system that is 275 miles from me (important because I will drive my 99EB to trade in). According to the car fax, it has had a minor front end collision. I figured that might be the case, since it was missing it's V8 badges (I called to verify it was in fact a V8)
Lived in Oklahoma (one owner)
Had the capless fuel pipe recall done in 2013
Looks like regular maintenance at a recurring dealership (that's a good sign)
Differential serviced/flushed/changed @ 23k???
Tranny flushed/filled @ 55k (me likey) .... and then....
1 front-end accident in April 2017, then he/she sold it/traded it in - it has been repaired and then for sale since.
When this dealer (who has it now) bought it at auction in May 2017, they did (among other maintenance)
*Axle seals replaced
*Pinon seals replaced
*Rear differential fluid flushed/replaced
And then 3 months later, less than 100 miles on the odometer
*Wheel bearings/hubs replaced
*Differential fluid flushed/replaced <------ say what? I thought you just got through doing that 3 months ago...
$10,500+/-

And in the other corner we have:
A white EB V8 4x4 with 97k with everything I want including nav system that is 713 miles from me.
No accidents
Lived in Northern Va (basically near the DC metroplex from what I can tell)
Had the capless flue pipe recall done in 2013
Torque converter serviced/repaired and power steering fluid flushed/changed @ 29k
Paint sealant applied/reapplied what is that all about?
Coolant flush @ 48k
power steering fluid flushed/changed @ 61k
Rear Diff serviced/flushed/changed @ 68k
Coolant flush again @ 74k
Engine/powertrain computer module checked - induction system serviced @ 95k... I have no idea what that means... lol
$11,750+/-

My first thoughts, what is going on with the diffs on that first one? and torque converter on the second one? What goes wrong with a torque converter in less than 30k? And the paint sealant thing... is that a rust-belt thing we southerners don't know about?

I will most likely buy one of these trucks... like, tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In one corner we have:
A white EB V8 4x4 with 118k with everything I want except nav system that is 275 miles from me (important because I will drive my 99EB to trade in). According to the car fax, it has had a minor front end collision. I figured that might be the case, since it was missing it's V8 badges (I called to verify it was in fact a V8)
Lived in Oklahoma (one owner)
Had the capless fuel pipe recall done in 2013
Differential serviced/flushed/changed @ 23k???
Tranny flushed/filled @ 55k (me likey) .... and then....
1 front-end accident in April 2017, then he/she sold it/traded it in - it has been repaired and then for sale since.
When this dealer (who has it now) bought it at auction in May 2017, they did (among other maintenance)
*Axle seals replaced
*Pinon seals replaced
*Rear differential fluid flushed/replaced
And then 3 months later, less than 100 miles on the odometer
*Wheel bearings/hubs replaced
*Differential fluid flushed/replaced <------ say what? I thought you just got through doing that 3 months ago...
$10,500+/-

And in the other corner we have:
A white EB 4x4 with 97k with everything I want including nav system that is 713 miles from me.
No accidents
Lived in Northern Va (basically near the DC metroplex from what I can tell)
Had the capless flue pipe recall done in 2013
Torque converter serviced/repaired and power steering fluid flushed/changed @ 29k
Paint sealant applied/reapplied what is that all about?
Coolant flush @ 48k
power steering fluid flushed/changed @ 61k
Rear Diff serviced/flushed/changed @ 68k
Coolant flush again @ 74k
Engine/powertrain computer module checked - induction system serviced @ 95k... I have no idea what that means... lol
$11,750+/-

My first thoughts, what is going on with the diffs on that first one? and torque converter on the second one? What goes wrong with a torque converter in less than 30k? And the paint sealant thing... is that a rust-belt thing we southerners don't know about?

I will most likely buy one of these trucks... like, tomorrow. What do you guys think?
Does the second one have a v6? If yes go for the v8. The nav system can be added at your local car stereo shop for less than a grand I think.
The torque converter on the second one especially if it’s a v6 freaks me out. Just search this forum for 5R55S torque converter issue.

Does the second one have a v6? If yes go for the v8. The nav system can be added at your local car stereo shop for less than a grand I think.
The torque converter on the second one especially if it’s a v6 freaks me out. Just search this forum for 5R55S torque converter issue.

Sorry... edited for accuracy. Both are V8 4x4s. Both are pretty much exactly the same except for the radios, the distance I have to drive to trade, and the carfax report items I described.

One (two) more things missing - what year models ???????
The axle seals seems to be a problem on many of them.
Like Giordano said, for a grand you can get much more advanced Nav unit. I added an aftermarket one to my 06 for less than 300 and the 07 that we have with the factory Nav looks like from a museum.

One thing to keep in mind, when the time comes to sell it in few years, they will hit you for that accident and can knock off lots of money on the first one.
My feeling would be the second one.

One (two) more things missing - what year models ???????
The axle seals seems to be a problem on many of them.
Like Giordano said, for a grand you can get much more advanced Nav unit. I added an aftermarket one to my 06 for less than 300 and the 07 that we have with the factory Nav looks like from a museum.

One thing to keep in mind, when the time comes to sell it in few years, they will hit you for that accident and can knock off lots of money on the first one.
My feeling would be the second one.
Check the thread title. I did the same thing until I remembered the thread title.

[QUOTE="geosnooker2000, post: 3679308, member: 65100"According to the car fax, it has had a minor front end collision. I figured that might be the case, since it was missing it's V8 badges (I called to verify it was in fact a V8)
[/QUOTE]

Somebody will correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe Ford dropped the fender V8 emblem in 2009. So if the missing emblems have you concerned that it was a bad collision, I wouldn't worry about it. Explorer #1 sounds like the better buy to me. You can easily add NAV, factory is good but aftermarket is so much better. Don't see many rust buckets from Oklahoma. Northern VA, on the other hand.....

[QUOTE="geosnooker2000, post: 3679308, member: 65100"According to the car fax, it has had a minor front end collision. I figured that might be the case, since it was missing it's V8 badges (I called to verify it was in fact a V8)

Somebody will correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe Ford dropped the fender V8 emblem in 2009. So if the missing emblems have you concerned that it was a bad collision, I wouldn't worry about it. Explorer #1 sounds like the better buy to me. You can easily add NAV, factory is good but aftermarket is so much better. Don't see many rust buckets from Oklahoma. Northern VA, on the other hand.....
[/QUOTE]
I just decided on this one because I agree with you about the rust.

The Ford NAV is one of the best OEM builds I have seen. I use Garmin stand alone and it also does it all in the 2009 Ford Nav. Split screen for turns, info onscreen and sound when getting close without undue nagging of some devices. You might be able to get a Android after market nav. Other than appearance its only as good as the firmware running it and the software map. I bet there is a lot of junk out there in aftermarket units.

Thanks Eddy

My bad, I am old and blind :)

I see they are both 2010

I just decided on this one because I agree with you about the rust.[/QUOTE]
My 2010 came from northern VA and has no rust on it. I think it has a lot to do with how clean it was kept like anything else

So..... Hows it looking?

Well... I absolutely LOVE it!!! There are a few blemishes that did not come through in the ad photos (as one might expect).

27748192_1803384246358933_3315476533876196813_o.jpg

First fill-up. Springdale AR, where I bought it. I traded my '99 EB V8 AWD + a check for $10k for this.

From there, I drove back to Memphis and got a legit 21.5 mpg. That's THROUGH the mountains. I'm on my second tank now where I'm getting about 18 mpg. I'm now convinced that either Kroger sells cheap watered down gas, or that pump you see above was selling "all gas-no ethanol" for $2.39/gal, which I find hard to believe.

Things I need...
An owner's manual for the glove box
V8 badges
floor mats

Things I don't like:
The previous owner put some extra-curricular tint on all but the windshield - it is so dark that I cannot see out the back glass at night unless there are headlights shining at me. At first I thought it was the auto-chromatic rear-view mirror that was the problem, but then I actually turned my head to see... that I can't see.
My ceramic coffee mug will not fit in the cup holder like it did in my '99 (probably a good thing).
I'd trade somebody straight up for a set of mat-finish aluminum wheels - the chrome is a little flashy for my taste.
I don't like the ergonomics of the front doors. It is going to take some getting used to. The handle to close the door is way back from where it is on the 2nd gen.
That's pretty much it.
There's a major blemish in the rear driver-side seat about the size of an adult-sized hand. Looks like it might have been a rip in the leather, but an expert patch job, but the lighter color of the two-tone leather is so light that the blemish is extremely noticeable. Usually the rear leather of these Explorers are in mint condition when they hit the junk yard, so I'm hoping I can get my hands on a used set of those.

But I am definitely enjoying my new ride.

Congrats, looks mint to me. Gorgeous color combo.
My both EBs have the 18" chrome ones, and I think they look much better than the mat-finish alloys.
They match all the chrome around perfectly - I'd say keep them :)

Oh joy...
Lost air in the left front down to 14psi in the first 3 days of ownership. Went today to get it repaired this morning...
Cracked wheel.

....from the collision maybe ? Is the tire different than the other 3 ?
Enjoy it.

....from the collision maybe ? Is the tire different than the other 3 ?
Enjoy it.

Possibly, but the tire is the same. Just called a yard that specializes in parting out Fords. He said they probably have a wheel for me, $125. I'll take it, since the wheel repair shop just quoted me "Starting at $150 to weld + a TWO DAY turnaround."

I don't know why but I would not want a repaired/welded rim on my car. Get the salvaged one if you ask me.

I don't know why but I would not want a repaired/welded rim on my car. Get the salvaged one if you ask me.
Got it. Imma start a new thread about what I just found out...

Back