Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Just looked at my 2018 Explorer Platinum's tires, and (sadly) they are Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires. When I traded-in my 2016 Explorer with 21,000 miles on the clock, the dealership's sales manager marveled at the exceptional condition of both the interior and exterior of my trade and then said, "We'll install a new set of tires before we put it out for sale."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2018 XLT with Sport Appearance Package also has the 20” Hankooks on it.
Pretty disappointing to read this thread as Ford obviously knows the poor performance history of these tires. Fortunately mine is a company car so it won’t cost me, but Ford should remedy this.

I have also mentioned a few times that the Hankook tires Ford is using on the Explorer is classified by Hankook as a passenger car tire. They have a different one for the SUV.

Peter
I have no real comment on the tires themselves or the abnormal wear some are experiencing, but I don't think it really matters how the tire is classified from a marketing standpoint. It is still a P-metric tire for use on passenger vehicles (car/SUV/CUV/light truck). Typically cars and CUVs are lighter and only require a load index in the 80s or 90s and SUVs and light trucks are heavier and require a load index of ~100-110.

We have 25k on our 2016 and will be lucky to get 35k out of the Hankooks, I expect to end up replacing them at 30. I've rotated them every 5k and run 35psi.
Pretty sure I wont go back with Hankooks.

We have 25k on our 2016 and will be lucky to get 35k out of the Hankooks, I expect to end up replacing them at 30. I've rotated them every 5k and run 35psi.
Pretty sure I wont go back with Hankooks.
Please add the 2016 (Base, XLT, etc.) to a signature assuming you still have the 2012 GT. That way we will know which Explorer you have. Thanks.

Peter

I actually switched after running through mine in under 24k miles..I switched to Pirelli's and the ride quality has improved a little bit. I do a lot of traveling throughout the state of Texas and AZ/LA for work. The wet traction was an issue with my Hankoks but after switching to Pirelli's..The issue is no more.

I actually switched after running through mine in under 24k miles..I switched to Pirelli's and the ride quality has improved a little bit. I do a lot of traveling throughout the state of Texas and AZ/LA for work. The wet traction was an issue with my Hankooks but after switching to Pirelli's..The issue is no more.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I have a 2016 X Sport with 12,000 miles on it and the original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires only have 4/32 of tread left on them. This my wife's daily driver used to take the kids to school and run errands so it is by no means driven hard. Hankook only wants to pro-rate them at 25% which I think is a joke. There is no way these tires should be wearing like this. Anybody else having this issues with these tires?

Im having same issue. I took my 2016 sport (purch 11/5/16) in to have air pressure checked with just under14,000 miles. I was told I was at wear bars and needed new tires. I was shocked. I don’t drive the car hard or do anything out of the ordinary that would cause any excessive tread wear. I have even rotated tires. I 100% agree, there is no way these tires should be wearing like this.

Im having same issue. I took my 2016 sport (purch 11/5/16) in to have air pressure checked with just under14,000 miles. I was told I was at wear bars and needed new tires. I was shocked. I don’t drive the car hard or do anything out of the ordinary that would cause any excessive tread wear. I have even rotated tires. I 100% agree, there is no way these tires should be wearing like this.
Welcome to the Forum Susan.:wave:
Did you check out the tires for yourself regarding the "wear bars"? The tire should last much longer than 14K if kept at the manufacturer's recommended 35 PSI. I don't know why there is such a range of wear issues with these tires. There are posts here of members having around 20K + miles and figuring they could go to 40K - 50K before replacing them going by the current wear. Yet there are also others in the same boat as you.:dunno:

Peter.

I have the exact issue with the one Hankook tire that was not replaced due to being out of round with 21k miles on it. I just ordered Michelin Premier tires from Tire Rack as I am done with Hankook. I would think that Ford would never want to re-live the Firestone debacle from the mid 1990's. We are contemplating buying another 2018 Explorer, anyone know what tire is OEM on the 2018 Sport or Platinum model? The pictures on the web for 2018 models show a different tread pattern than the 2017 models.
Yes they are!!!!! I just bought the 2018 Platinum 10 days ago...Hubby bought new Blizzacs and had the dealership mount on my car before it even left the lot...SO these tires are in our garage waiting for spring..now I don't even want them on my car!! Should I ask the dealership to buy them back?..Should I call Hankook and ask for a rebate? Sorry to sound naive..but I really don't want these..I'll buy new tires in the Spring

Yes they are!!!!! I just bought the 2018 Platinum 10 days ago...Hubby bought new Blizzacs and had the dealership mount on my car before it even left the lot...SO these tires are in our garage waiting for spring..now I don't even want them on my car!! Should I ask the dealership to buy them back?..Should I call Hankook and ask for a rebate? Sorry to sound naive..but I really don't want these..I'll buy new tires in the Spring
I would be very surprised if the dealership bought them back since they didn't install them. I suggest that if you use dedicated Winter Tires that you buy separate rims/wheels for them. I neighbour of mine kept taking the OEM tires off the rims and putting Winter tires on and after a while the tires started to leak around the seals/bead due to the continuing mounting and dismounting of the tires. Due to the poor ratings of the Hankooks for Winter driving I immediately replaced them with a more aggressive tire, Yokohama Parada Spec-X since it was early March. A tire shop allowed $80 per tire for the Hankooks. In the fall I bought 17" rims to put Winter tires on. That was with my 2011 Limited. Since then, I've had the Hankooks on my previous 2014 MKT and current Platinum. Have had no issues with them except for a balancing issue with the current ones. I still use dedicated Winter tires on 18" rims to replace the 20" OEM tires. 18" Winter tires are less expensive and have a greater selection than the 20".

Peter

I would be very surprised if the dealership bought them back since they didn't install them. I suggest that if you use dedicated Winter Tires that you buy separate rims/wheels for them. I neighbour of mine kept taking the OEM tires off the rims and putting Winter tires on and after a while the tires started to leak around the seals/bead due to the continuing mounting and dismounting of the tires. Due to the poor ratings of the Hankooks for Winter driving I immediately replaced them with a more aggressive tire, Yokohama Parada Spec-X since it was early March. A tire shop allowed $80 per tire for the Hankooks. In the fall I bought 17" rims to put Winter tires on. That was with my 2011 Limited. Since then, I've had the Hankooks on my previous 2014 MKT and current Platinum. Have had no issues with them except for a balancing issue with the current ones. I still use dedicated Winter tires on 18" rims to replace the 20" OEM tires. 18" Winter tires are less expensive and have a greater selection than the 20".

Peter
Yeah I agree...I have dedicated rims for the snows...I used the stock rim for the blizzacs and bought new rims for the summer...I bought 4 tire sensors and hubby already mounted the Hankooks on them..they are ready for spring...should I buy new tires and sell the Hankooks? I'm not happy about all the reviews...I think I'm going to buy other tires and sell the Hankooks just for piece of mind...I do alot of driving and I just want to be safe....

Yeah I agree...I have dedicated rims for the snows...I used the stock rim for the blizzacs and bought new rims for the summer...I bought 4 tire sensors and hubby already mounted the Hankooks on them..they are ready for spring...should I buy new tires and sell the Hankooks? I'm not happy about all the reviews...I think I'm going to buy other tires and sell the Hankooks just for piece of mind...I do alot of driving and I just want to be safe....
Did you check to see if the sensors are the right ones? I had my Winters initially on my 2014 MKT but when I used them on my 2017 Platinum I had to change the sensors because unlike the MKT, the Platinum has the individual tire PSI display.

Peter

Did you check to see if the sensors are the right ones? I had my Winters initially on my 2014 MKT but when I used them on my 2017 Platinum I had to change the sensors because unlike the MKT, the Platinum has the individual tire PSI display.

Peter
I hope they are the right ones..hubby got them from from the ford dealership..we own a body shop and just so happen to purchase all our Ford parts through the same dealership where I got the vehicle...funny when I told them how much I paid them last year for parts it didn't help me get a better deal...darn!!!!!!!!! Well maybe a little but not much lol..

I just got done well almost (I will explain) with getting my OEM Hankook tires replaced they were at 2/32 after 14k miles. After several visits to the dealer, and several phone calls, Hankook finally agreed to pay for 50% of the replacement tires. Still not real happy with that but had to take what I could get. So the local dealer replaced them last Friday and when I got it back I noticed a scratch on one of the wheels but it was real dirty due to snow so I couldn't really see. Saturday I washed and detailed my Explorer and found scratches, nicks and chips some or all of the wheels. The wheels were in perfect shape when I brought it in. I left a very heated voicemail for the service adviser and sent a not so heated email to the manager and told them they were going to replace the wheels. They asked for pictures so I sent them pics. I got a text yesterday saying they ordered new wheels and will call me when they are in. We shall see.

I had to replace the Hankook tires on my 09 Edge and my 16 Ex at ~ 20K miles. I am not an aggressive driver, but I'm also not slow. I don't baby my ride. This 20K mile wear out is not acceptable, to me.
However, I just replaced the things with Michelin's. Everything's fine after that.

20k is pretty bad but not tire should wear out at under 15k miles unless it's a track tire.

Yeah I'm definitely getting new tires...I won't even put those on my truck after the winter...I just don't want to deal with that at all...it's a shame..you'd think Ford would stop using them jeez!

Yeah I'm definitely getting new tires...I won't even put those on my truck after the winter...I just don't want to deal with that at all...it's a shame..you'd think Ford would stop using them jeez!
It's not just Ford from what I have read. My next post is to the BBB.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We had to replace our stock Hankook tires at about 20K miles, mind you they are a 50K mile tire. We are now told we need to replace them once again at 39K miles. Anyone else having excessive tire wear?

Back