• Register Today It's free!

Spacer Lift??? Questions

Swamprabbit

Reaction score
City, State
Forrest City, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Got my spacer lift in the other day. 2" front 1.5" rear.
Is it normal for the rear spacer to be taller than the front.
But the rear has less lift.
I know the spacers are not equal to the true lift.
Can some one measure a 2" front spacer and give me the measurement. Don't want to install just to find out I have the wrong spacers.
Thanks ahead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is my 2004 with body lift and 285/75/16's.
9C17639A-A278-4159-91A4-6D97B22567EA_zpshyklpthl.jpg

Good looking rig, rabbit!

Got my spacer lift in the other day. 2" front 1.5" rear.
Is it normal for the rear spacer to be taller than the front.
But the rear has less lift.
I know the spacers are not equal to the true lift.
Can some one measure a 2" front spacer and give me the measurement. Don't want to install just to find out I have the wrong spacers.
Thanks ahead.

The ones in the picture should keep factory level. IE front a little lower than the back. The larger spaced fronts would level off the vehicle. But just by going from the pictures it looks reversed for sure. It also looks like the fronts mounting patterns are rotated slightly, where the rear looks to be even more. I haven't got to the back of mine yet, but the front I've been working on, and I don't see it being easy to rotate the strut assembly so that the lower bolt hole will line up. Just an FYI. The lower front struts are not symmetrical and the eyelet that extends out IIRC points towards the rear.

The ones in the picture should keep factory level. IE front a little lower than the back. The larger spaced fronts would level off the vehicle. But just by going from the pictures it looks reversed for sure. It also looks like the fronts mounting patterns are rotated slightly, where the rear looks to be even more. I haven't got to the back of mine yet, but the front I've been working on, and I don't see it being easy to rotate the strut assembly so that the lower bolt hole will line up. Just an FYI. The lower front struts are not symmetrical and the eyelet that extends out IIRC points towards the rear.

I installed the fronts on Friday. It lifted the amount quoted. The strut was not har to rotate. Installed a line up bar in the eyelet at the bottom of the strut and rotated the bottom around for correct alignment after installing the top into its mounts. Will not be using the rear. The front leveled it right up.

2" front only & 3" body lift w/ 285/75/16
517365D0-5584-45B1-AE07-E33BCC15E5A4_zpsmsjubdnm.jpg

Agreed looks great. I still need tires for mine. I will post up picture when I get all 4 corners lifted. Beware the 245s =)

Thanks guys this is my first explorer. Happy with it so far.

How did you get the bottom of the strut lined up once the lift was on? Did you compress it? I can't get my lower control arm down low enough to put the bolt through?

I installed the Supreme Suspensions leveling kit on my 03 X. I put a 2.5" lift up front and a 2" lift in the back. It still has a slight rake but I was able to fit 265/75R16's under her. I live up in Montana and the lift is awesome. The Duratracs have zero issue with the snow and ice and I am worry free. I'm not a huge fan of body lifts personally, so I'll just stick with my little lift and start working towards lockers and/or limited slip differential upgrades.

I installed the Supreme Suspensions leveling kit on my 03 X. I put a 2.5" lift up front and a 2" lift in the back. It still has a slight rake but I was able to fit 265/75R16's under her. I live up in Montana and the lift is awesome. The Duratracs have zero issue with the snow and ice and I am worry free. I'm not a huge fan of body lifts personally, so I'll just stick with my little lift and start working towards lockers and/or limited slip differential upgrades.
You should post a picture up, Im about to do the same thing.

I don’t have any photos from the side on my phone. I can post a pic that is from the front, but at an angle though. Since the photo was taken, I put 265/75R16 BFG A/T KO2’s on it. Once the weather gets warmer, I’m actually going to be installing new MOOG Quickstruts in all four corners. I insisted that we do that when installing the lift, but my free labor shut that down. Now a year and a half later, my front suspension has sunk about 3/4’s of an inch and we have to replace the quickstruts anyway. Just some food for thought.

2D186A3D-9722-41E9-8B49-7F51DD69438A.jpeg

I actually found another picture on my phone FarmageddonNRO.

6F1F075D-DD9E-45EA-B295-C93B70D8F9F2.jpeg

I don’t have any photos from the side on my phone. I can post a pic that is from the front, but at an angle though. Since the photo was taken, I put 265/75R16 BFG A/T KO2’s on it. Once the weather gets warmer, I’m actually going to be installing new MOOG Quickstruts in all four corners. I insisted that we do that when installing the lift, but my free labor shut that down. Now a year and a half later, my front suspension has sunk about 3/4’s of an inch and we have to replace the quickstruts anyway. Just some food for thought.

View attachment 155966
You got a part number on those Moog Struts your going to get?

Yep. ST8573 for the front, and ST8563 for the rear. They fronts are currently $96.78 on Amazon, and the tears are currently $97.88 on Amazon. Mine are sitting in the garage waiting for warm weather. Good luck and happy lifting! Make sure to upload before and after pics!

Yep. ST8573 for the front, and ST8563 for the rear. They fronts are currently $96.78 on Amazon, and the tears are currently $97.88 on Amazon. Mine are sitting in the garage waiting for warm weather. Good luck and happy lifting! Make sure to upload before and after pics!
Thanks again man, are you running wheel spacers by chance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m not running wheel spacers and I had zero rub until the front end suspension started sagging. Now I have minimal rub, but only when reversing to the right.

Back