Just got a great deal a few months ago | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got a great deal a few months ago

Sager

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I picked up a 98 explorer xlt, with 13k original miles on it, for 2500 dollars.
Deal of my life so far
Of course being a Rochester NY car, the underside got some rust , so I am replacing drivers cat and back this week.
As this truck has the ORIGINAL TIRES still on it. I am concerned about dry rot.

What tires are you guys finding are best year round? As stated I live in Rochester NY , so snow is a huge part of our year.

20171121_152245.jpg

20171121_152325.jpg

20171121_152314.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I loved my General Grabber AT2s for snow traction. Went everywhere, quiet on the highway, and I got great mileage out of them.

Stay FAR from Good-Year Wrangler Radials, I have a set I gave $40 for, and I swear they're bad enough and were loud enough until I practiced tire bingo that the guy should've paid me to take them.

Ditto on the Goodyear Wranglers...don't waste your money. I'm running Michelin LTX's and couldn't be happier with how they ride.

Man, with just 13k miles, it's too bad it's acquired some rust.. Hate what road chemicals do to vehicles.

I had good luck with Goodyear Wrangler Radials but they are noisy. The Michelin LTX's are by far a better tire, but you'll pay for them. If the budget allows - Michelins for sure.

Mine had Goodyear Wrangler RT/S when I got it. Dismal in everything. I changed them to Michelin LTX M/S. Improved the ride a lot. Pricey, but well worth it. I only got rid of them due to age. Still had tons of tread left on them. Next was Firestone Destination LE2. My local Firestone had a coupon deal so I got them for around $400 total out the door. About the price for three Michelins. Ratings on TireRack were similar to Michelin LTX M/S. I got my money's worth out of them for sure. Next was Kumho Road Venture AT51. There was a glitch on eBay, so I got a set of them for $183.96, and a Fusion SUV for my spare for $23.99. Overall, the Kumhos are great in all weather, but they are wearing funny. Lots of feathering on the fronts. Had to get an alignment, and had to buy a camber kit to get things in spec. Both of the rears were wearing heavily in the middle of the tread. I typically inflated all past tires closer to max pressure, and barely noticed wear differences until I got rid of them. Showed my local mechanic/tire guy, and he had no explanation why they were that way. One of the rears got an unfixable nail hole, so it was replaced with a new one.

When the Kumhos are due for replacement, might try General Grabber AT2, which a buddie swears by. Might go back to the Firestone LE2. Would love to go back to Michelins, but only dislike the price...

+1 on the Michelin LTX's. They are a bit on the pricey side though. I hated the Goodyear tires that came on one of our Ex's. I replaced them almost immediately. Whatever you decide on, change those tires ASAP. They're way to old to be driving on.

Make sure the check the spare tire. I am guessing it would be a good idea to replace that also...

Make sure the check the spare tire. I am guessing it would be a good idea to replace that also...

At least that tire is surely brand new. Maybe it still has the recall for those Firestones, I used up the one set I had on my 93, we heard about it while on our trip, in Minnesota. That truck got 22mpg going up there on those tires, at about 34-36psi I set them at as usual.

Michelin LTX is a good choice. If they are the original firestones, I doubt it, but would they still be part of the recall and you get free tires?

Michelin LTX is a good choice. If they are the original firestones, I doubt it, but would they still be part of the recall and you get free tires?

Looking at the treadwear on those, they just might be original. I doubt they would be covered by the recall still. Even if they were, the spare would still be over 17 years old.

Looking at the treadwear on those, they just might be original. I doubt they would be covered by the recall still. Even if they were, the spare would still be over 17 years old.

Those are originals, but they are the wilderness HT, it was the AT that had the recall :)

I

I had a set of firestone destination at's on my 94 GMC k1500.

I really liked them on that truck, but it was ages ago, and 16 inch wheels.
Has anyone tried them on an explorer?

Make sure to get her sprayed under there - you don't want that falling victim to the NY salt monster! I don't suggest undercoating, but something like fluid film or Kroil.

If you take that into the mountains, or on local rural roads that are not maintained, I would almost suggest a set of snows. Even the best all seasons and 4x4 system can't help you stop or skid!

Make sure to get her sprayed under there - you don't want that falling victim to the NY salt monster! I don't suggest undercoating, but something like fluid film or Kroil.

If you take that into the mountains, or on local rural roads that are not maintained, I would almost suggest a set of snows. Even the best all seasons and 4x4 system can't help you stop or skid!

I decided before winter started to try Krown undercoating. It's quite different than zeibart. It is an oil based spray, the oil is the carrier agent for the rust inhibitor. I love the idea that the entire undercarriage gets an oil coat, rather than a tar coating.
It must be redone yearly, but it's only a bit over 100 dollars..

I had a set of firestone destination at's on my 94 GMC k1500.
I really liked them on that truck, but it was ages ago, and 16 inch wheels.
Has anyone tried them on an explorer?

Those are third in their catagory on TireRack. Should be a nice choice. I am sure someone on here has ran them. My last set of tires was Firestone Destination LE2. Quiet, rode great, and handled mild WY winter no problem.

I think I looked at the A/Ts, but my local Firestone gave me a $100(?) off a set of four LE2s. They were second in their TireRack category. I got those for around $400 total out the door :thumbsup:

I put Firestone Destinations on my son's '96 XLT and they handled the Alaska winter roads just fine...and, they don't use road chemicals. He and I made three trips between Anchorage and Mpls (3500 miles each way) on those tires while he had the truck...and, they rode great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well a little update. Went and ordered drivers side cat, .muffler and tailpipe. Had a place going to install them for 200 dollars!
I took the day if from work. Come to find out my buddy cut off the quick disconnects and did a **** job replumbing them for my fuel filter and I had a lovely fuel leak! Well of course I had that fixed. With proper quick disconnects etc. Now I have to wait for payday to do the exhaust . I do not use cc's lol

Back