• Register Today It's free!

Specific lights 13 limited

Danny A.

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hi all, I'm new to forum as of a little while ago. I would like to hear from those of you who have changed your headlights to either the Diode Dynamics HID kit or the Sylvania Zxe's and what you think. I'm not interested in LED or any others.
Thanks for any replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Danny.:wave:
There are several threads on HID 'upgrades'. You will find that I have also mentioned in most of them that to do a proper upgrade you must replace the headlight housing since the internals are specifically designed for the type of OEM bulb that the Vehicle was designed to use. Doing it properly is of course more expensive than using the less expensive short cut, a kit. Many 'kits' are also not DOT approved for 'on road use' but are still being sold for that purpose. Just my input.
Do you recommend installing HIDs ?
HID Install +Pics - Step by Step
HID Install +Pics - Step by Step If you do a 'Search' within this thread on 'diode dynamics' you will find 34 posts.
You can also use the Forum's 'Search' feature to find threads on HID upgrades/conversions. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Danny.:wave:
There are several threads on HID 'upgrades'. You will find that I have also mentioned in most of them that to do a proper upgrade you must replace the headlight housing since the internals are specifically designed for the type of OEM bulb that the Vehicle was designed to use. Doing it properly is of course more expensive than using the less expensive short cut, a kit. Many 'kits' are also not DOT approved for 'on road use' but are still being sold for that purpose. Just my input.
Do you recommend installing HIDs ?
HID Install +Pics - Step by Step
HID Install +Pics - Step by Step If you do a 'Search' within this thread on 'diode dynamics' you will find 34 posts.
You can also use the Forum's 'Search' feature to find threads on HID upgrades/conversions. Good luck.

Thank you Peter for your reply.
Your higher end kits ARE designed to be put into halogen housings
I'm not afraid of the legalities of it, I know for a fact I would never be cited for upgrading my headlights because no officer would ever know that my explorer didn't come that way! Some of your higher end kits design their bulbs with bars built in to block the light from a certain area of the reflector to keep from blinding people. I centered my streetglide several years ago and the bulb was designed to do this because it was meant for a halogen reflection housing. Modifying things like emissions, exhaust and lighting have always been illegal. I appreciate your reply though!

I have tried PnP HID kits and also tried PnP LED bulbs in the original halogen projectors. All results were poor. Believe me, save your money and do a proper HID conversion update. The difference is remarkable.
Look at The Retrofit Source or LightWerks for the parts. You can do it for less than $400 if you do it yourself.

I have tried PnP HID kits and also tried PnP LED bulbs in the original halogen projectors. All results were poor. Believe me, save your money and do a proper HID conversion update. The difference is remarkable.
Look at The Retrofit Source or LightWerks for the parts. You can do it for less than $400 if you do it yourself.
I'll look into it, thanks

Hello Danny,
Welccome to the forum. I cannot agree with MtnCar. I have had GREAT success upgrading my sport halogen bulbs to Diode Dynamics. I found the key to success was the position of the bulb in the housing. My cut offs are clean and the improvement was so amazing that I cannot brag enough about their product and support. I was so frustrated with the stock halogens and had to do something. My Son has a shop and did the update and candidly cannot say enough about the difference it made.. Peter is right that it can be done wrong. Maybe I was lucky but my son said it was about how he positioned the bulb in the houseing and the position of reflector. If you want further details pm me I will be happy to send you pics or what ever info you wish.

Hello Danny,
Welccome to the forum. I cannot agree with MtnCar. I have had GREAT success upgrading my sport halogen bulbs to Diode Dynamics. I found the key to success was the position of the bulb in the housing. My cut offs are clean and the improvement was so amazing that I cannot brag enough about their product and support. I was so frustrated with the stock halogens and had to do something. My Son has a shop and did the update and candidly cannot say enough about the difference it made.. Peter is right that it can be done wrong. Maybe I was lucky but my son said it was about how he positioned the bulb in the houseing and the position of reflector. If you want further details pm me I will be happy to send you pics or what ever info you wish.
Lol, can't figure out how to pm

Lol, can't figure out how to pm
Click on the username in the margin and then select 'Start a Conversation' in the pop up screen.

Peter

I have the 9005 SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogens.
Barely any diff from the standard 9005-same horrible light output from lamps but tad whiter light...

I have the 9005 SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogens.
Barely any diff from the standard 9005-same horrible light output from lamps but tad whiter light...
Thanks for that info!

I appreciate your reply though!

I installed the Diode Dynamics HID plug and play HIDs over 2 years ago. They perform flawlessly. SIGNIFICANT improvement over the factory Halogens. I used the add on relay kit. Auto lights function properly. I never get ‘flashed’. Highly recommend.

Don’t waste your money on high output Halogens. You will, literally, burn through them about every 6 months and they don’t provide anywhere near the improvement.

I installed the Diode Dynamics HID plug and play HIDs over 2 years ago. They perform flawlessly. SIGNIFICANT improvement over the factory Halogens. I used the add on relay kit. Auto lights function properly. I never get ‘flashed’. Highly recommend.

Don’t waste your money on high output Halogens. You will, literally, burn through them about every 6 months and they don’t provide anywhere near the improvement.
Thank you for that info!

Back