Sport EcoBoost 3.5L Tuning | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport EcoBoost 3.5L Tuning

Hi All
Been watching this forum for years now
Retired automotive engineer here
Have had a 2011 F150 with 3.5L ECO Boost & Livernois tune.
Drove over 100k miles with no problems
Have had a 2013 flex with the 3.5: ECO Boost with Livernois Tune
Drove over 75K miles with no problems
Have a 2103 Taurus SHO with performance package & livernois tune
will do 0-60MPH in 3.9 seconds & 12.4 seconds quarter mile
Has 25K miles on it
Love the car
Have a 2016 Explorer Sport with Livernois tune
Has 55k miles on it
Very quick & dependable
Plan to trade the Explorer for 2019 or 2020 explorer platinum
will install livernois tune the day after I get it
The ECO boost vehicles are kind of lackluster with factory calibration
Livernois tune really wakes them up
Ford fan with ECO Boost & livernois tunes forever
Have always used 91-93 octane premium in everything I own
Not sure why anyone would not want to use their calibrations

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's mainly because the initial EcoBoost tunes on the market were crap (not saying Livernois but I don't recall any of their early tunes breaking into 12s initially). No one really knew what they were doing. Only SCT had a lot of the settings opened for the Pro Racer Package, and eventually HPTuners supported EcoBoost which opened up access to a lot more tuners. But they didn't finish opening up all of the settings until late 2016 or early 2017 and that was for the transverse Gen 1 ecoboost engines. I know for a fact when I started working on my 2014 SHO tune in 2016 that not many SHOs were running in the low 12s and no one was willing to share except for a few. I worked with these tuners, and other drag racers and we basically ironed out what was needed. Prior to this, the guys running low 12s or high 11s had meth injection, catless downpipes, hot air intake, etc... but I basically proved that you can get a SHO tune-only into low 12s with worn out tires and a 3 year old dirty paper air filter. There are several ideas on how to tune the EcoBoost and there aren't many aftermarket tunes that I like for the SHO.

It's mainly because the initial EcoBoost tunes on the market were crap (not saying Livernois but I don't recall any of their early tunes breaking into 12s initially). No one really knew what they were doing. Only SCT had a lot of the settings opened for the Pro Racer Package, and eventually HPTuners supported EcoBoost which opened up access to a lot more tuners. But they didn't finish opening up all of the settings until late 2016 or early 2017 and that was for the transverse Gen 1 ecoboost engines. I know for a fact when I started working on my 2014 SHO tune in 2016 that not many SHOs were running in the low 12s and no one was willing to share except for a few. I worked with these tuners, and other drag racers and we basically ironed out what was needed. Prior to this, the guys running low 12s or high 11s had meth injection, catless downpipes, hot air intake, etc... but I basically proved that you can get a SHO tune-only into low 12s with worn out tires and a 3 year old dirty paper air filter. There are several ideas on how to tune the EcoBoost and there aren't many aftermarket tunes that I like for the SHO.
OK
Whose calibration are using?

Hi All
Has 25K miles on it
Love the car
Has 55k miles on it
Very quick & dependable

Where are you getting 93 Octane in AZ?......When Im in Goodyear I cant find it anywhere.

Hey all been doing a lot of reading and discussing with friends lately on the modding of my Ex. I have a 17 Sport and really want more out of it because I had to sell my truck because the family is growing. Also am a member of other forums / FB groups and I really like the involvement in this forum.

Question I have in regards to tunes.
1, CAI and Exhausts are they really necessary for just getting more out of the engine in a daily driver?
2. Especially the exhaust, do you get anything out of it without doing the down pipes? other than sound. I know the old adage of more air in more air out but if you look at the more popular Borla Cat Back exhaust for the explorer it is 2.25' and I believe that is what is stock also. so in the end you just get a better sound?
3. It seems like the most important upgrade, and isn't talked a lot about, is the oil catch.

Want to hear your opinions. Want to tune right away and may do a CAI with it but reluctant to do the exhaust until more companies make affordable down pipes.

Just get a tune. Don't bother with the other mods. An E30 tune will get you close to 500 hp. The hot air intakes are worthless. Exhaust mods don't do anything other than make it sound like a ricer. Downpipes can help but not enough to justify the effort and cost for the meager gains at the track.

Downpipes can help but not enough to justify the effort and cost for the meager gains at the track.

Unless you can get a used set... Then they're music to your ears!

Hey all been doing a lot of reading and discussing with friends lately on the modding of my Ex. I have a 17 Sport and really want more out of it because I had to sell my truck because the family is growing. Also am a member of other forums / FB groups and I really like the involvement in this forum.

Question I have in regards to tunes.
1, CAI and Exhausts are they really necessary for just getting more out of the engine in a daily driver?
2. Especially the exhaust, do you get anything out of it without doing the down pipes? other than sound. I know the old adage of more air in more air out but if you look at the more popular Borla Cat Back exhaust for the explorer it is 2.25' and I believe that is what is stock also. so in the end you just get a better sound?
3. It seems like the most important upgrade, and isn't talked a lot about, is the oil catch.

Want to hear your opinions. Want to tune right away and may do a CAI with it but reluctant to do the exhaust until more companies make affordable down pipes.
According to posts here the CAI by itself has been found to be a waste of money.
As for catch cans, there are threads on that where you can post questions; Oil catch can / who has installed it and how much oil becomes "catched" ?, Running an OCC (Oil Catch Can) on the 3.5L Ecoboost, RX Performance catch can for Explorer Sport
From what I've read here is that a CAI and tune will give you the best 'bang for the buck'. Just keep in mind that mods may affect the warranty. If a part failed and it is linked to the modification, the warranty will not cover it. Best to have a read of the Warranty Guide. Good luck.

Peter

The CAI can cause more harm by allowing hot air to be ingested. Track heat soak is serious and the best cold air intake is the stock sealed box. Don't even need a K&N panel as the paper filter flows 53 lb /min of air. The Dyno charts are misleading because they are run with an open hood in a controlled environment.

Hi All
Has 25K miles on it
Love the car
Has 55k miles on it
Very quick & dependable

Just bought an Explorer Sport this week. This post solidified it for me. Definitely will be getting a Livernois tune. I assume you can take it off and on whenever you want like going in for warranty work?

Just bought an Explorer Sport this week. This post solidified it for me. Definitely will be getting a Livernois tune. I assume you can take it off and on whenever you want like going in for warranty work?

Yes, you can I do it all the time.

Just get a tune. Don't bother with the other mods. An E30 tune will get you close to 500 hp. The hot air intakes are worthless. Exhaust mods don't do anything other than make it sound like a ricer. Downpipes can help but not enough to justify the effort and cost for the meager gains at the track.

As far as getting a tune (in this case Livernois), is it worth getting the thermostat and the 3 bar map sense along with the tuner or are those not worth it either?

As far as getting a tune (in this case Livernois), is it worth getting the thermostat and the 3 bar map sense along with the tuner or are those not worth it either?

Yes on the 3 bar, and thermostat I'm still "iffy" on. Search my name, and thermostat to see my response on another thermostat thread.

3 Bar for the livernois yes. It's not a blanket answer, you have to look at each tune. Some will recommend it and some will not. If your "tuner" recommends it than yes you "have to" as they will use the higher parameters. Livernois does recommend it with their tune.

Hi everyone, new to the forum but have been reading countless threads on doing a tune for the 2017 Explorer Sport.
I finally went with the Livernois package of CAI, tuner, plugs, 160 thermostat and 3 bar.
I’m running the 93 performance tune and I absolutely LOVE it.
This is how this car should come from the factory.
The upgrades seemed to wake this vehicle up, or as my wife commented, it’s like you’ve been driving with a parking brake on the whole time and now it’s off.
No problems, I couldn’t find a place to review Livernois to give them 5 stars but I’ll say it here!!!

Welcome to the Forum Kev&Stacy.:wave:

Peter

What Tune and What year are you talking about getting 500HP from a Ex Sport? Is that even possible?

I'm planning on tuning mine either tonight or tomorrow, I received the 91 perf tune from livernois and will be installing the 3 bar map sensor.

How long did it take for the "hard shifts" to adapt to your driving style?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It took about two weeks but it’s not bad the whole time it just gets smoother. Every now and then I still get a kick when shifting 2nd to 3rd and even with almost 90k miles I can even get a chirp from the tires. It’s a nice reminder that I have the HP just waiting for me to let it goooooo.

Back