• Register Today It's free!

91 4x4 sport overhaul.

Over_torqued

Reaction score
City, State
Conroe, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer sport 2dr
I bought this explorer off CL a little while back. It needed a transmission and not much else. After rebuilding the transmission it became apparent that it was geared too high. 3.73 woth 31x10.5 tires.

I left it at my brothers and he got it stuck in the pasture. There it sat for months until i came over and got it out. Somehow the gearbox was damaged i guess turning with the tires burried. Also the rear diff has slack at the pinion and leaks now.

Im finally ready to spend some cash to get it fixed up. Going with 4.11 gears. Want to find a newer rear diff 95 and newer with rear disk and hopefully with 4.11 already. Then i only have to deal with the front. Plan on full bearing and seal replacement on both. Also one of the manual hubs are broke so will be replacing those.
I am a mechanic and welder so mot much i cant do to this. Thinking of welding braces and trusses on the axles . Want to do the dana 44 spindle upgrade but will probably wait for now .
IMG_20170923_183352.jpg
IMG_20170726_192015.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks almost identical to my truck except the color, and no 91-92 tupperware. Lift, wheels, push guard, etc all look about the same.

4.11 gears are really nice with 31's and the automatic trans -- it's what I run now. Beats the heck out of 3.27's. Good looking truck and should be a lot of fun -- good luck fixing it up.

Mine does not have the Tupperware panels just a 2in black trim with a red line through it and the lower part is painted black . does kinda look like it in the pics.

Glad to hear the 4.11s where great. Far as i can tell on a gear chart it will get me back close to stock.

Great to see another 90's Sport out there! I scrolled down the photos almost thinking this was history on my own 94 Sport; same color scheme and wheels anyway. Hope to start my build thread also - the Ford world is new to me, so I'm picking up on the lingo, though... I'm guessing here, the tupperware panels are the blocky plastic paneling added where the sport only has black (vinyl?) and trim?

Watching the thread to see what you come up with :chug:

Great to see another 90's Sport out there! I scrolled down the photos almost thinking this was history on my own 94 Sport; same color scheme and wheels anyway. Hope to start my build thread also - the Ford world is new to me, so I'm picking up on the lingo, though... I'm guessing here, the tupperware panels are the blocky plastic paneling added where the sport only has black (vinyl?) and trim?

No, the tupperware is plastic for all models 91-94 -- no vinyl. Sports had the tupperware too, just like the 4-doors.

For 91 models like Over_Torqued, they have different wheel well plastic -- it is more narrow above the wheel wells and is different where it joins the rocker. You can see the difference when you have a 91 side-by-side with a 94, for example.

This thread has a pic of my rig (scroll down middle of page) and you can sort of see the differences between 92-94 wheel well tupperware, and the 91 wheel well tupperware
2 inch lift questions

Notice in the first post of this thread how Over_torqued's wheel well plastic comes all the way down? And notice how in my pic of my truck the wheel well plastic stops, where there is a junction for the rocker tupperware to attach. That's the difference between 91 wheel well plastic and a 94. I think it was only 91's that had that longer wheel well plastic, but it might have been 92's as well.

This thread has a pic of my rig [...]

Makes sense, thanks for the links!

I'm planning to start a build thread soon to get suggestions & direction from the vets here on the site, @Over_torqued will definitely have to compare notes; that's a manual 5sp or 4?

Back