?? On 2018 explorer sync 3 navigation. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

?? On 2018 explorer sync 3 navigation.

Gilbert M Vega

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 black Explorer Sport
What is required to continue using the navigation system on the Explorer? Do I need to continue the data plan after the trial period?
Is there a subscription for maps and travel info? Cost?
Of what use is the data plan if all our mobile devices are on their own data plan?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is required to continue using the navigation system on the Explorer? Do I need to continue the data plan after the trial period?
Is there a subscription for maps and travel info? Cost?
Of what use is the data plan if all our mobile devices are on their own data plan?
Thanks.

Morning The GPS Navigation system is free to use as long as it works. The only thing that will happen is the maps will go out of date over time. Just like a Garmin or a Tom Tom.

The better choose would be, if you have a smart phone use it for your maps.
If you have an Android device (Samsung LG etc) use Android Auto
If you have an Apple device use Car Play.

Plug it into the USB port and select setting on the radio screen. Enable either Android Auto or Car Play then allow it on your phone. You will be able to use the maps from your phone. The issue with this is the phone will use Data so if you are not on a plan that allows a lot of Data you will bur though it pretty fast.

OR you can pay to update your nav (if needed) in a few years from now ... that said, IF your area has a lot of new roads being built it might justify the $200 +/- cost for the update. I was fortunate that I got a great deal on mine (not Sync 3) that updated it slightly from a friend on here.

OR you can pay to update your nav (if needed) in a few years from now ... that said, IF your area has a lot of new roads being built it might justify the $200 +/- cost for the update. I was fortunate that I got a great deal on mine (not Sync 3) that updated it slightly from a friend on here.

Where do you get the updates? Is there a specific website for updates? I tried to go to the ford navigation website but it was not helpful. Just purchased a 2018 Explorer Sport this weekend and wanted to update the maps. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Unlike the previous MFT system in pre 2017 Explorers which used an SD card for navigation updates, Sync 3 does not. As well, members have said the even new releases were a few years behind. The member you quoted does not have Sync 3. As for Sync 3, here is one of several threads I found using the 'Search' feature. Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Unlike the previous MFT system in pre 2017 Explorers which used an SD card for navigation updates, Sync 3 does not. As well, members have said the even new releases were a few years behind. The member you quoted does not have Sync 3. As for Sync 3, here is one of several threads I found using the 'Search' feature. Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates

Peter
Thank you.

Back