Enabling remote start, having trouble | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Enabling remote start, having trouble

imheretoparty

Reaction score
City, State
NW OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 PIU 3.5tt
'97 5.0 AWD
Just got my 2014 PIU a couple weeks ago, and have been trying to make it a little more driver friendly. I've used Forscan to enable keyless entry. Installed the hood switch and enabled the perimeter alarm. All of that works fine. Used Forscan to enable to remote start and programmed my ITK. When i double click the start button, i get running lights to come on but nothing else. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, or if the remote start isnt happy for some reason. No CEL, good battery voltage, as far as i know i've done everything right. Is there something I'm missing?

27971694_1894773410542262_8381954508244594694_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Right on another ecoboost interceptor is here! . Jus to rule out the hood switch did you try jumping it out with a piece of wire. Also what are your values in the bcm and ipc.? Just to double check it

Yeah, the ecoboost seems to be pretty rare in the interceptor. I've probably only seen one for every 10 interceptors for sale

Yes, i double checked the hood switch with a jumper. I aso used my DVOM to test the switch its self. Alarm works as intended, so i think i can rule out the hood switch.

For the BCM i have 726-19-01 set to 0148. For the IPC i have 720-01-03 set to 90E8 00CB, and have also tried C8F3 but didnt get the remote start options in the menu

Still no DTC's, still does the same thing when i try to start it. Double click the button, parking lights come on for about 10 seconds, then go out. Never cranks or even sounds like it tries to do anything.

Just out of curiosity you do have the bcm set for keyless entry enabled correct? And the fobs work all except the remote start correct Just trying to rule out all things?

Yes, i do. I have 2 fobs and one IKT, all 3 work to lock and unlock the doors. Im pretty sure it's getting the signal to start, but something else is stopping it

It's one of the cheap $20 keys from ebay, could that be the issue? Didn't really want to spend $100 on an OEM IKT till i knew for sure it was gonna work like it was supposed to...

Nah I have 4 cheap 5 button keys off ebay and all 4 work I'm trying to think what else could cause that.. and you have no error lights on abs. Airbag or check engine

Nope, no dash lights.

Yes, i do. I have 2 fobs and one IKT, all 3 work to lock and unlock the doors. Im pretty sure it's getting the signal to start, but something else is stopping it

It's one of the cheap $20 keys from ebay, could that be the issue? Didn't really want to spend $100 on an OEM IKT till i knew for sure it was gonna work like it was supposed to...
The PIU remote start system must be set up differently that the regular one. When the retail version fails to start I believe you will get one honk and a flash of the parking lights. I also read in the remote start thread that using a non Ford key requires 2 separate setups. I believe the 2nd setup involves mating the key with the vehicle which I think refers to the engine immobilizer system.

Peter

The PIU remote start system must be set up differently that the regular one. When the retail version fails to start I believe you will get one honk and a flash of the parking lights. I also read in the remote start thread that using a non Ford key requires 2 separate setups. I believe the 2nd setup involves mating the key with the vehicle which I think refers to the engine immobilizer system.

Peter

I did take a look through that thread, but dont specifically recall the part you mentioned. Ill definitely take another look though, thanks for the heads up. When it fails to start, i don't get a honk or flashing lights they just turn on, then turn back off after a short time. As far as an engine immobilier, im assuming youre talking about PATS? This interceptor isn't equipped with PATS, though i've considered trying to enable it on my vehicle. It's got the "fleet keys" so theyre easy to replace, no chip and matching keys for the whole department. Of course that means that theres a million keys out there that fit my interceptor...

I did take a look through that thread, but dont specifically recall the part you mentioned. Ill definitely take another look though, thanks for the heads up. When it fails to start, i don't get a honk or flashing lights they just turn on, then turn back off after a short time. As far as an engine immobilier, im assuming youre talking about PATS? This interceptor isn't equipped with PATS, though i've considered trying to enable it on my vehicle. It's got the "fleet keys" so theyre easy to replace, no chip and matching keys for the whole department. Of course that means that theres a million keys out there that fit my interceptor...

You are correct there is no mating on the non Pat's setup. Mine programmed perfectly the other day only issue I ran into on my interceptor is I do not have remote start options in my ipc for the heat and AC settings and I cannot figure out why

Starting to wonder if the guts of this IKT are actually set up for a lift gate and not a remote start. I have a buddy with an edge with a lift gate, ill program it to that vehicle and see what it does.

Kikinz, for your IPC settings, try 720-01-03 set to 90E8 00CB. That's what i used to get the settings i needed. For whatever reason, the other code didn't do it.

Just to eliminate the simplest error, you are hitting lock, then the start button twice, correct?

Just to eliminate the simplest error, you are hitting lock, then the start button twice, correct?
That is correct. I've tried it both ways, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Yeah, the ecoboost seems to be pretty rare in the interceptor. I've probably only seen one for every 10 interceptors for sale

Yes, i double checked the hood switch with a jumper. I aso used my DVOM to test the switch its self. Alarm works as intended, so i think i can rule out the hood switch.

For the BCM i have 726-19-01 set to 0148. For the IPC i have 720-01-03 set to 90E8 00CB, and have also tried C8F3 but didnt get the remote start options in the menu

Still no DTC's, still does the same thing when i try to start it. Double click the button, parking lights come on for about 10 seconds, then go out. Never cranks or even sounds like it tries to do anything.

For IPC 720-01-03, try, 90E8 00C8 instead of 00CB

For IPC 720-01-03, try, 90E8 00C8 instead of 00CB
Ok I entered these and the settings appear now. But the heat settings do not work I have it set to last setting remote start is at 10 min. Heat set to floor/ defrost blower speed high. It just goes to a defualt setting of AC on main vent and no blower turns on at all. Turn the key on and it starts blowing. Through the mail vent . Doesnt revert to my last setting

Ok I entered these and the settings appear now. But the heat settings do not work I have it set to last setting remote start is at 10 min. Heat set to floor/ defrost blower speed high. It just goes to a defualt setting of AC on main vent and no blower turns on at all. Turn the key on and it starts blowing. Through the mail vent . Doesnt revert to my last setting
To have heat settings etc. work with remote start the setting has to be on 'Auto'. Not 'Last setting'. That has been discussed in this Forum. 2015 Sport - Auto start question

Peter

I recieved another IKT today and immediately ripped open the package and programmed it. It works perfectly, so i'm assuming the other one actually has a liftgate function instead of a remote start. Thanks for all the suggestions though, i really appreciate the help.

Kikinz, i tried the "last setting" and the "auto" options. Auto doesnt do anything, but last setting works fine. In either case, my hvac controls don't light up at all. I suspect that there's equipment required for the auto function, and my heater controls dont have an automatic setting. I believe they just don't light up the controls because there's really no need to when it's the remote start running things. The controls don't do anything, i cant turn the fan up or down or change the settings while the remote start is active.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See mine in last setting lights up but doesn't actually blow air .. kinda needed here in northern Ohio this time of year

Back