Rotary In an Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rotary In an Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was always told they make no torque, so that's a no go in my book.

I have always heard they are temperamental, and problems with the Apex seals. Also heard of people doing simple mods, and that caused major problems.

I was always told they make no torque, so that's a no go in my book.
I think I'd agree, check the torque and see how it compares to 300lbft, the 302 and 4.0 are similar.

It'd take more gearing, and I hope the engine is very sound. I have a friend with another friend's rotary engine apart on his garage floor. It was getting rebuilt, but there are many main parts that cannot be machined and you have to live with the clearances, or replace the parts. I'd avoid the rotary engine unless you know them very well.

I think I'd agree, check the torque and see how it compares to 300lbft, the 302 and 4.0 are similar.

Agree and to clarify, good torque number at a reasonable RPM for a SUV. They might make number up high but that's no good either.

Yes, that's why I hinted at the gearing, depending on how low the torque is below 1500rpm, it might take too much gear. I worked at a Mazda dealership in 1985-88, but I only got to drive them on the lot. They were great in the RX7 and 8's, but those are light cars.

I remember at the Toyota dealer when the MR2 first came out, they made a turbo model, and it sucked. That was very hard to get started from a stop, the gearing or clutch was badly mismatched for the engine. The normal MR2 was fine, I got to drive one once across town. The steering was super twitchy, a quick ratio for a tiny car, fun but not for me.

Back