License Plate frames for newer Fords? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

License Plate frames for newer Fords?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Does anyone know of any good quality plate frames for the newer Fords? The newer Fords have the 2 rubber nubs on the bottom, and my Ford Racing stainless plate frame doesn't work with the 2018 Explorer or the 2017 Fusion Sport (loose fit, rattles, etc...)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ditch the rubber bumpers. Pull them out and the square for the plastic insert is there. Most auto parts stores have the insert/bolt.

Wow. Whenever I have bought a new car and it came with a license plate frame it was off and in the trash right after I got home. When I bought the Explorer I told them I did not want the front bumper drilled for a front license plate holder (Kansas only issues one plate) and I definitely didn't want a dealer decal affixed to the rear of the car.

Wow. Whenever I have bought a new car and it came with a license plate frame it was off and in the trash right after I got home. When I bought the Explorer I told them I did not want the front bumper drilled for a front license plate holder (Kansas only issues one plate) and I definitely didn't want a dealer decal affixed to the rear of the car.

I am with you on that as well. I am not a fan of the Dealer license plate as well. That is the first thing to go in the trash. The Dealer isnt paying me any money to do advertising for them.

I have been leasing from the same dealer since 1998, and they know not to put their branding on my car because of the same reason. Pay me and i will advertise you, if you don't remove it..

On my S197 Mustang, the bumper was the only thing behind the license plate, so the dealer frame actually provided some protection. I can see that on the Explorer, I really don't need the frame. I'll look at removing it and continue using the bumper. As for the rattling, I solved that a long time ago with some HVAC weatherstriping inserted between the frame and the plate.

Does anyone know of any good quality plate frames for the newer Fords? The newer Fords have the 2 rubber nubs on the bottom, and my Ford Racing stainless plate frame doesn't work with the 2018 Explorer or the 2017 Fusion Sport (loose fit, rattles, etc...)
Are talking about the front or rear plate? On my 2017 there are no rubber bumpers on the front, just the back and they don't interfere with mounting the plate at all.

Peter

We have front plates here so drilling holes is not a choice. As for the dealer plate holders and decal I have absolutely no issues with those and am proud to display the dealer's name on the vehicle. I also have a couple Ford and Explorer ball caps that I wear at times.

Peter

No front plate in Michigan. The back plate has the 2 rubber bumpers that interferes with frames that only have 2 holes, like the Ford Racing stainless frame. I think I'll just keep the plastic dealer plate for now.

I have been leasing from the same dealer since 1998, and they know not to put their branding on my car because of the same reason. Pay me and i will advertise you, if you don't remove it..

Dont even have to pay me. Give me a good price, and great service and I will let anyone looking to buy know.

Back