Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer v8 5.0
Hello,

I have a ford explorer 99, 5L, V8
I have to change the both front tires.
Today my tires are bridgestone dueler 694

3 questions please :

- Dueler 694 are not made any more. Which bridgestone do you advice ,
- Anyway, do you have another good brand ? Which one ?
- do i have to change all 4 tires or not ?

Thanks for answer

Augustin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. You need the change all 4 to the same exact size, brand, and model.

If you have AWD, you have to change all 4. If you have 2WD and you have 2 tires that still have plenty of tread, it's not absolutely necessary to change all 4 tires, but it's a good idea if you can afford to. Different brands of tires handle differently, so having all 4 the same will give you better handling.

As far a tire brand/model, that's up to your budget and how/where you drive. I like Michelin LTX's, but they're pricey. I hate Goodyear Wrangler's (and I'm not alone in this opinion). Do you off-road? Do you drive in snow? Mostly around town? Mostly highway?

All I've got to add to either reply is any tire, even Chinese tires I've had, beat Goodyears I've had. Goodyears are literal garbage.

I have KO2’s on my truck and I love them. Great for winter driving.

CC9D7CB5-86AD-4BB3-832C-104CF3A29A88.jpeg

Thanks for all your answers.
I have a 4WD and i drive Mostly around town

If you have a V8/5.0L you don't have 4WD, you have Full-Time All wheel Drive (AWD), in which case you need to buy 4 tires at a time.

Depending on the age shape of your spare, you might need 5 new tires.

If it is 2wd you might get by with 2 tires. The new ones would go on the rear, and the current rear tires to the front.

I'm a big fan of cooper tires and I hear the hankooks are pretty good as well.

I've run some goodyears here and there, not a bad tire if you are on a budget i bought the cheap goodyears for my 98 and for what I paid for them they handle alright and hook up pretty well in the snow, the sidewalls are a bit softer but my 98 doesnt' go very far anymore so they were good enough.

you can get find pretty good deals on most tires now days on amazon or ebay in sets

i think you can get pretty good prices on that jet website that sells tires as well, free shipping or discounttiredirect

but yes if AWD all 4 tires at the same time.

Hello,

I have a ford explorer 99, 5L, V8
I have to change the both front tires.
Today my tires are bridgestone dueler 694

3 questions please :

- Dueler 694 are not made any more. Which bridgestone do you advice ,
- Anyway, do you have another good brand ? Which one ?
- do i have to change all 4 tires or not ?

Thanks for answer

Augustin

did the duelers looks like these? might be an option.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Antares-SMT-A7-All-Terrain-Tire-LT235-75R15-C-6/50035817

I've bought 3 sets of Copper Starfire tires. Inexpensive (the last set I bought were $86 a piece). Street non-M/S tread. Had 2 sets on our AWD Monty and a set on out 2WD Sport. Good tire for the money. Quite, comfortable ride, handled well and relatively durable. If you're on a budget their were a good choice. I think WalMart sells them, but I use a local tire shop.

7248166716;sq=160

Back