Mc/ Autolamp/ climate control

H2opro

Reaction score
City, State
Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
06F-350,98mountaineer
Hey all,
I got bored this weekend and swapped in climate control, the message center and the autolamp mirror in my 98 5.0 Mountaineer. It took me about 4 hours to do all of it. I will do a write up if anyone is interested. I have a complete 2000 5.0 donor truck and I bought for doing a 5.0 swap in my 2000 ranger. The only thing I’m buying brand new if the fan speed controller. My was shot. I also added heated mirrors. Question. Do the limited explorers have any cool features besides what I have already? I’m going to be swapping in the moon roof from the donor as well. I don’t care so much about leather. I like my cloth. Which is heated already.

Thanks!

9B4E4B37-7ECD-4F58-A32B-54401DA96915.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here’s my 1000 dollar beast I bought 5 years and 150k ago. Thing doesn’t owe me a dime.

85A8D56F-5FE8-40A8-92E3-E76F20A04CD3.jpeg

I would enjoy your non-moonroof roof. Lots of members have/had issues with drainage. I would not even consider installing an aftermarket one...

Personally I would not install the moon roof (even if it was something easily done, which it is not). As said, they usually tend to leak. I've had several vehicles with sun/moon roof over the years. Once the novelty wears off I've never opened them again. They really serve no purpose IMO. It's not like having a convertible.

Good work on installing the MC, Autolamp and Auto Climate Control. Do you also have the HomeLink visor? That's a easy plug and play, though most current garage door openers require a compatibility bridge to work. I have yet to find a reason to use the voice recorder function, but it's still a cool option.

Personally I would not install the moon roof (even if it was something easily done, which it is not). As said, they usually tend to leak. I've had several vehicles with sun/moon roof over the years. Once the novelty wears off I've never opened them again. They really serve no purpose IMO. It's not like having a convertible.

Good work on installing the MC, Autolamp and Auto Climate Control. Do you also have the HomeLink visor? That's a easy plug and play, though most current garage door openers require a compatibility bridge to work. I have yet to find a reason to use the voice recorder function, but it's still a cool option.

The only way I would consider doing it is to swap the whole roof from my donor truck. I don’t have the homelink. What does it all do? Open your garage? My opener is an older one. My wife’s stall has a nerwer opener. My truck doesn’t see the road much anymore. But it’s a great spare and I have room to keep it inside. Still has cold a/c. I plan on putting a manual t case in it. And maybe a small lift. Maybe. I will be fixing the rockers this summer.

This is my parts truck. For my V8 ranger.

476DCB9D-D51F-4694-BE0F-D062D3FE7765.jpeg

opens doors and can turn on lights, record messages/reminders.

Nice truck, both Moutaineers. How about adding the memory seat, especially if two people drive it?

BTW, what are you planning for the painted grille, you might paint that and swap it. I'm not thrilled with the chrome version, but I like the painted to match look.

You can keep your seat, or use any you like that swap, with the similar Explorer seat tracks. The Limited is the only one with the memory seat. My 98 Limited I discovered will automatically set the seat position when the door is unlocked ... by the remote only. I use the position 2 for mail delivery, and the 1st for normal driving.

The memory seat is made from the special power seat motors, module under seat, switch in door panel, and wiring. One wire goes to the GEM module to detect Park/Neutral, one is a power for the module, one to ground, and the rest between switch and module/motors. only consider that if you can get all of the parts, virtually all wires between seat to door, short harness in door, and don't mind either a tight fit in the door panel for the switch, or find four Limited door panels. Those have leather along the top, not vinyl, plus the memory switch.

Projectthread102.JPG

H2opro I really like that EATC swap! I have a donor vehicle for a V8 just sitting in my garage, so I would love to see a write up for that EATC install. That clean Mounty looks great and reminds me of my wife's '97 Mounty (5.0) with over 250k. They are real solid vehicles and the most reliable I ever had.

I want to do this! I’m going to be looking at u pull yards for a limited. I swear they trying to crush every single 5.0 truck up here! I feel bag taking apart the green one. But it was hit hard on the passenger side. I swapping the grill and bumpers to the black one. I have them off and inside.

I will do my best. I’m taking it back apart tomorrow to soder all my connections and make it look a little nicer. I will do my best to make an easy to follow write up. Having a donor nearby is a big help. A lot of trial and error. I used wire nuts until I tested and retested everything. Now I will be doing the connections right.

Doesn’t look too bad from here. But it pushed in the floor pan. The motor is going into my blue Ranger.

D832191D-3A9C-4811-AE97-3D0A7D1BABFF.jpeg

993D3C5B-F9A5-417C-A28A-58308D3DB6B0.jpeg

As for the black one it needs rockers and a little bit of help on the rear wheel wells. But still fixable. Now it has sentimental value after 5 years. It’s been the most reliable truck I’ve owned. It doesn’t like to sit. After about 2 weeks the pats kills the battery.

I will do my best. I’m taking it back apart tomorrow to soder all my connections and make it look a little nicer. I will do my best to make an easy to follow write up. Having a donor nearby is a big help. A lot of trial and error. I used wire nuts until I tested and retested everything. Now I will be doing the connections right.

Thanks, I am looking forward to your write up about the EATC.

...Do you also have the HomeLink visor? That's a easy plug and play, though most current garage door openers require a compatibility bridge to work. I have yet to find a reason to use the voice recorder function, but it's still a cool option.
Someone explain the HomeLink idea to me, please. If I park the truck in front of the house and someone manages to open the door (and perhaps also to jump the ignition switch), can they just push a button and open my garage door? That would be the most stupid idea I ever heard of in this day and age. Or does it require a PATS key or some such to work at all?

Someone explain the HomeLink idea to me, please. If I park the truck in front of the house and someone manages to open the door (and perhaps also to jump the ignition switch), can they just push a button and open my garage door? That would be the most stupid idea I ever heard of in this day and age. Or does it require a PATS key or some such to work at all?

Yes it would open the garage, good(bad) thought. I hunted the visors about ten years ago. They ran about $90 back then, and lots were available except for the medium grey. I found one of those after a long eBay search.

Back