Hood Deflector | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Deflector

Absolute nightmare to install the original Ford one, you have to literally twist and push it into place while trying to attach screws and what-not. I think I even used some longer screws or additional washers than what was in the kit as - if I recall correctly - I ran out of "screw" in one or two holes. Awful instructions as well. I will take a few pics of mine once I get off work. Let me know what specifically you'd like a shot of so I don't miss something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I honestly used the existing 'plastic screws" and double stick 3m adhesive strips for the weston. No drill no screws to rust. combined with some friction fit of the hood and shield I must have gotten lucky.. Love mine so many folks say they didnt even see it on the front of the truck ..

I took a few pics. Sorry that it's dark, the sun sets early here still and by the time I got home it was night. I tried to light it up a bit. Hopefully they help to some degree. Again, let me know if you want anything specific.

bo9ZcV8.jpg

nSZ0ldw.jpg

hcOccR1.jpg

DwRWIZf.jpg

(Looks bent/wavy, but it's some weird optical illusion with the light. The leaves are real :) )

If I had to buy this again, I'd also go third party...

I took a few pics. Sorry that it's dark, the sun sets early here still and by the time I got home it was night. I tried to light it up a bit. Hopefully they help to some degree. Again, let me know if you want anything specific......................................................

(Looks bent/wavy, but it's some weird optical illusion with the light. The leaves are real :) )

If I had to buy this again, I'd also go third party...
Thanks for posting the pictures. The strange is that the person who requested the info posted it on May 12, 2011. I don't know how it suddenly popped up yesterday as a new thread. When I merged his thread with this one the replies came over but not his original post. That is when I started checking. That post is on page 1 of this thread, post #23. :dunno:

Peter

Thanks for posting the pictures. The strange is that the person who requested the info posted it on May 12, 2011. I don't know how it suddenly popped up yesterday as a new thread. When I merged his thread with this one the replies came over but not his original post. That is when I started checking. That post is on page 1 of this thread, post #23. :dunno:

Peter

Oh oops, I didn't even look at the post date, I just saw that the thread looked new :) Oh well, a few fresh pictures never hurts.

Oh oops, I didn't even look at the post date, I just saw that the thread looked new :) Oh well, a few fresh pictures never hurts.
Don't feel bad. I didn't notice the date until I began checking into this strange occurrence.

Get the clear westin for the hood.. you cannot even see it on the truck

I bought one, confirmed it was the correct one online and in person, according to the box and label on the deflector, and it didn't even come close to lining up to the holes. Did you have issues mounting yours?

I didnt have any issues but as I recall all holes didnt line up and I used 3m tape as well. Mine fits amazingly well and after 2.5 years it has held up well, no marks or wear on hood, nice and tight so so chattering etc. I can go have a look under hood again but know I did not drill as I WONT do that under the hood as her in NY they salt the road to death. FYI.. I actually pulled the plastic tabs from the underhood plastic plastic strip and just rinserted them.

I didnt have any issues but as I recall all holes didnt line up and I used 3m tape as well. Mine fits amazingly well and after 2.5 years it has held up well, no marks or wear on hood, nice and tight so so chattering etc. I can go have a look under hood again but know I did not drill as I WONT do that under the hood as her in NY they salt the road to death. FYI.. I actually pulled the plastic tabs from the underhood plastic plastic strip and just rinserted them.

As I recall, that's what the instructions said to do, but I don't think I could even get two to line up. I contacted them with no response. I wouldn't have drilled the hood, but I would've had to drill the plastic. Thinking back, some of the plastic didn't even touch underneath the hood, and I would've had to take a heat gun to it. I was definitely disappointed. The Amazon reviews showed that I wasn't the only one who experienced it, so I don't know if it's a QC issue, or what. I wasn't going to go through a bunch of them to find out.

Hey Jon, Sorry you are having that frustration. I mounted mine up and honestly havent thought another thing of it..
Ive attached a pic
IMG_0956.JPG

I was thinking of getting a clear deflector and painting the rear with black spray paint but decided to go with a clear paint protection. Had it applied on 18" of hood, fenders, bumper, A pillars, mirrors and door handle cups. After watching it done, I applied the film to the headlights and the front 6" of roof panel. I think it looks much nettet than a deflector.

I was thinking of getting a clear deflector and painting the rear with black spray paint but decided to go with a clear paint protection. Had it applied on 18" of hood, fenders, bumper, A pillars, mirrors and door handle cups. After watching it done, I applied the film to the headlights and the front 6" of roof panel. I think it looks much nettet than a deflector.

That's cool and if that works for you that's probably a good addition regardless as it'll keep the paint scratch free. I added a deflector as any season except winter over here there's a lot of bugs in the air and ever since I put it on I've noticed a significant reduction in bugs smacking into the windshield, in fact, I rarely clean the window manually any more. It's really that much of a change.

That's cool and if that works for you that's probably a good addition regardless as it'll keep the paint scratch free. I added a deflector as any season except winter over here there's a lot of bugs in the air and ever since I put it on I've noticed a significant reduction in bugs smacking into the windshield, in fact, I rarely clean the window manually any more. It's really that much of a change.
I noticed that as well when I had a hood deflector. It changes the aerodynamics a little so some of the bugs go over the top of the vehicle.

Peter

I bought the AVS Bugdeflector II

It fit perfectly in the factory holes.

I do have 2 questions :

What is that disk above the fascia? It's in line with the sensor. And there appears to be a cut out in the lower valance on the passenger side.
15213270149151651304904.jpg

The cutout is to allow/aid cooling of the rear turbo and PTU. The disk on the right side that I'm guessing you are referring to is the place your tow hook screws into. On some trims it is part of the tow package to help direct air flow to the PTU. There is an air duct that has to be removed in order to change the oil. There have been a few posts here where the technicians have forgotten to reinstall it.

Peter

Well sorry troops for "bumping" an old thread, however with this recent cold snap, I cracked, and then broke my AVS bug deflector, and before getting a replacement I want to know if any "end users" out there had some opinions on the Stampede Carbon Fiber Hood Protector? I know its more expensive, but I'm thinking that this might be one of those "buy once, cry once" kind of things?, anyway, always looking for comments? Stay safe

Well sorry troops for "bumping" an old thread, however with this recent cold snap, I cracked, and then broke my AVS bug deflector, and before getting a replacement I want to know if any "end users" out there had some opinions on the Stampede Carbon Fiber Hood Protector? I know its more expensive, but I'm thinking that this might be one of those "buy once, cry once" kind of things?, anyway, always looking for comments? Stay safe
I don't believe I have read about anyone using that model. Did a quick search and your post is the only one containing "stampede". At $136 I wouldn't call it expensive.

Peter

I don't believe I have read about anyone using that model. Did a quick search and your post is the only one containing "stampede". At $136 I wouldn't call it expensive.

Peter

Thanks, ya that's US :( , I hope someone is using one? LOL.

Does anyone know of any installation videos for the Ford GB5Z 16C900 A hood deflector? The instructions supplied aren't very clear. This is for a 2018 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know of any installation videos for the Ford GB5Z 16C900 A hood deflector? The instructions supplied aren't very clear. This is for a 2018 Explorer.
No but put another brand on and its easy. See if another brand is similar and has video.

Back