• Register Today It's free!

Flashing O.D. light

Chumly50

Reaction score
City, State
Shawano, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer xlt
Hi fellow enthusiasts , just digging into my od flashing light. So far not having no shifting issues on my 2000 explorer , w/197000 mi. Sometimes it dont flash at all. It dosent flash from the start, seems to be later. Hoping it will be a simple issue ? Just acquired this unit. Any info is appreciated . Thanks, David, the newbie ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi David, your first step would be to find out what codes are stored in the vehicle, once you know those it will help give you a idea on what type or problem and repair is necessary.

Thanks for the info james, shall i let you know what i find out?? David...

Sure just post up what you find out and we can help figure out what's going on.

So with my P0741 trans. Code . I should start with a fluid change, and then tcc soleniod?? Be shure to let unit warm up before hitting the highway ?? Or do i line up a diff trans, and have it gone through?? Looking for input?? David...

The p0741 code basically means the computer commanded lock up and didn't get it.

Possible causes are,

Failed TCC solenoid
Valve body issue
Failed converter
Pump problems

Most of the time this condition turns out to be a solenoid or valve body problem. I would remove the valve body and inspect for gasket blowout or stuck valves, broken springs, etc, if everything checks out good I would change the TCC solenoid and hope for the best.

I would only change the fluid if you find a problem with the valve body, if the TCC solenoid dont fix it you will most likely have to remove the transmission anyways, if it does fix it you can go back and change the fluid, no need to waist fluid on a broken transmission.

Hi james, so if i were having some kind of valve body issue, wouldn't i notice some kind of symptom?? Like delayed , or hard, or slipping , shifting ?? Or a burning fluid smell?? Is the T.C.C. solenoid something i can change?? Thanks, David...

The valve body controls all operations of the transmission, it is possible to have a problem in one area and just affect one component while all other operations remain working as it should. In your case you could have the TCC valve stuck or its spring broken and the only condition you will notice is no TCC.

The solenoid can be changed by just dropping the pan and replacing the solenoid, removing the valve body and checking it out can be more challenging if your not familiar with working on transmissions or vehicles. This is a decision you will have to make based on your ability to do such a repair. There is several threads on here that have detailed directions on how to go about removing the valve body, try to search for them, they should come up.

The valve body controls all operations of the transmission, it is possible to have a problem in one area and just affect one component while all other operations remain working as it should. In your case you could have the TCC valve stuck or its spring broken and the only condition you will notice is no TCC.

The solenoid can be changed by just dropping the pan and replacing the solenoid, removing the valve body and checking it out can be more challenging if your not familiar with working on transmissions or vehicles. This is a decision you will have to make based on your ability to do such a repair. There is several threads on here that have detailed directions on how to go about removing the valve body, try to search for them, they should come up.

Thanks james, this is s perfect example why i drove a 78 cougar for 20 yrs!! Will let you know what happens.

Um , what is trany id code D??? Looks like time to shop for a repair Manuel .

I dont use those codes, your truck should have a 5R55E transmission

Got it, thanks. Now the next thought is new, or refurbished TCC solenoid ?? How many does the trany require ?? Do you have an on line store?what is a good price? The pricing on ebay is all over . You would think the part would be cheaper from a trany shop? And what is inductive signature ? Does all the 5R55E have this feature ?? Thanks , David...

I would get a new solenoid and it looks like they cost around the 70.00 range, I dont use online stores so you can just pick one you feel comfortable with. A transmission shop may not sell you parts, they will want to do the work themselves. The inductive signature TCC solenoid was only used in 95-96 so you will want one with the inductive signature as its 97 on. The transmission just has the one TCC solenoid.

@Chumly50 I got the TCC code while 3000 miles from home. Ford Dealer advised me transmission could be ruined if I drove it home without functioning TCC. My tachometer confirmed all shifts solid, but no TCC lockup.

I drove it all the way back without TCC lockup, used a bit more gas than usual, no harm done. Replaced solenoid module (5R55S), TCC back in service. imp

So i have the tcc solenoid on its way, got it new for really good price. Now working on somebody to install it. I wonder if ill eventually end up being in the market for a reman?? Who out there has the best for the least ?? Im also wondering if there is a better trany from a different year? Like a 95 4R44E?? That would interchange?? Needing to be obliged , David...

Hi folks, i thought i read some thread that claimed the tcc solenoid can be tested with an ohm meter to rule out it being defective ?? No reading, bad. Low reading , short. High reading, good. Any truth to this??? Thanks David...

You could check the TCC with a OHM meter, your reading should be somewhere between 9 and 16 OHMs.

If the reading is higher or lower you should replace the solenoid.

If you have no reading then the solenoid is a open circuit.

Keep in mind, solenoids can test fine electrically but can fail mechanically, so if it tests good it still could be bad...

Thanks james, i kinda was wondering about that aspect of the solenoid . Made an appt with the a shop to check out the trany . I checked the oil on the dipstick, i wouldn't be surprised if the oil has never been changed . Very thin, a lot of abrasion sediment, bad color. Will keep you posted . You are a god send. Will a 4R44E fit this 2000 explorer?? I came across a 95 explorer being parted out the trany is going for $50.00 . Thats cheap enough to have it gone through if it fits?? Thanks again , David...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Chumly50
@JK080 does this stuff every day. He's right in saying mechanical solenoid failure is certainly possible, and the only way the computer (PCM) can know that is by detecting failure of function(s) controlled by it, such as Torque Converter Clutch not engaging. TCC is OK, Solenoid is OK electrically, but busted mechanically.

That's what happened to mine. Guide bushing which the solenoid plunger rides in crumbled to bits, left them atop the control valve body. imp

Back