massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I mean is it just for the tubing and I have to weld it up myself? Price seems way low when there are steel painted headers for $800 and these SS ones are less than $300

I don’t know the vendors for all the cool products for these trucks yet

Awesome thanks

Any update on if these work with 4x4? I'd like to try these.

Seller says they are not compatible with 4wd

Seems odd. I don;t think there are ANY differences in between exhaust components fro 2WD vs 4WD models. Only 2dr vs 4dr. Even at that, the mainfodls and Y -pipe are the same. The differences are only after the catalytic converter.

Well they are cheap and they are SS which is what i want for corrosion resistance.

The seller said sorry but the headers were not compatible with AWD.
I had asked him about 4WD, not AWD maybe i should contact them again and clarify?

Clarified to seller AWD versus 4WD
He said they only fit 2wd explorers

I might just buy stock manifolds

Try to be more patient, old trucks have a learning curve. You'll get up to speed. No worries.

Try to be more patient, old trucks have a learning curve. You'll get up to speed. No worries.

Thanks
I get the learning curve part but my truck is leaking ftom both head gaskets and i would like to square away the exhaust while i'm there. Heads aren't here yet i expect them next week.
If i can find headers in time, great. If not that's fine too i can just put dorman manifolds on it as i believe one or both of the stock manifolds are cracked.
Seems like there are not huge power gains with headers anyways. I am looking at this from a corrosion perspective as i plan on replacing the entire exhaust except reuse the cats. Never had an exhaust last too long up here with all the salt.

probably not cracked, just leaking

I’ll check once they are out.
They could be warped, too.
If there is a crack, I could tig braise it with silicon bronze filler rod. I have used this method on cast iron in the past and with proper prep, pre and post heating it works great.
My thing is time though. I need to get all this done as quick as possible so having known good cheap manifolds that will bolt on up and get me back in business toots sweet is preferable. Same for Y pipe and the rest of the exhaust.
Come to think of it, the exhaust on this truck is def not stock. Looks like the Y pipe might be welded to the mid pipe and that is welded to the muffler.
So i’ll prob be making some flanges for the mid and Y pipe and welding those up which is going to eat up time.
Not sure why people love to weld everything together on an exhaust system, yes it saves on gaskets but putting in flanges makes for easier exhaust work down the road.

Back