Aftermarket Tail Light Options | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Tail Light Options

Found the thread but as you can see the two options are different. As for the 2 videos, they are both the same ones about the lights only. No 'install' video.
Nice lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the corrected Video URL

Not sure if I'm missing something but this video is the same as the first ones except for what pops up after it finishes.

Peter

I have no idea what is going on.. I have played them on my pc and copied the URL j
this is crazy.

those extra light pieces on the tailgate... no thanks!

Just curious CW what makes you say no to the tailgate .. the look or otherwise?

I looked at those but didn't like how they get mounted with nothing but 3M tape. It also looks like you'd have to pull a long wire in some hidden fashion so that the tailgate can open:

s-l1600.jpg

Actually I wondered same until I watched the install video . No wires to run and hid etc. there is a plug between the 2 pieces that opens and closes automatically as you open and close the hatch. its kinda cool the only worry I have isnt the tape but it is the pins on plug and to know if they bend. or corrode over time but look pretty healthy in size.

I like what they have done vs running wires.. hopefully one day we can have wireless power ( lol)

tail light pins.JPG
tail light reciever.JPG
Attached are a few pics that I thought might provide interest. I also ( CW) didnt want to fish wires and/or drag wires as it is a PIB.

The look for me, total turnoff.. sorry. and seeing this how they are a proximity connection. Set up for failure.

Yea I think you have to be into the look for sure. I kinda like the look of the tail on the lincoln with more lights but it is a personal thing.. FYI the connection is physical not proximity .

Yea I think you have to be into the look for sure. I kinda like the look of the tail on the lincoln with more lights but it is a personal thing.. FYI the connection is physical not proximity .
I kind of like the look. I had wondered before why Ford didn't do something similar.

Peter

Hello Peter, I agree with kinda liking the look.. while the tail lights seem good especially with LEDs I feel like Ford did a great job with the truck overall but kinda skimped on the tail... The Lincoln MK series has a nicely lit tail. But then again they have to keep a difference in the 2 of them.

Hello Peter, I agree with kinda liking the look.. while the tail lights seem good especially with LEDs I feel like Ford did a great job with the truck overall but kinda skimped on the tail... The Lincoln MK series has a nicely lit tail. But then again they have to keep a difference in the 2 of them.
My MKT had a light right across the entire back.

My MKT had a light right across the entire back.
Yea I really liked that design. I am surprised that Ford did not do that on the interceptor for visibility so to speak. these Torcia accomplish that a little.. I like it as they are also very different.

If you have these tail lights, I'll post an update just in case someone else wants to be preventive in this from happening. A few weeks ago I discovered that the right side tail light had 2 inches of water floating around in the bottom.

WVZ3Q5f.jpg

I didn't see it at first but the bottom LED bar had partially died as a cause of it so it was much more faint as a whole. I took the tail light off and saw that the "breather patch" that's a black round patch toward the bottom, was loose, and if water runs behind the light (which it most likely does when it rains or you wash your car), you risk getting water into the tail light, which most likely will destroy part of the LEDs.

I had to buy a replacement as my 30 day return was up (but seller is still very responsive, kudos).

Here's a pic of how I decided to fix it on both sides. I just covered the patch with silicon (yeah, messy stuff) until I find some better way.

ZhVTxM2.jpg

The tail light already has two other breather tubes so I figure it will be fine breathing-wise. If not, easy enough to remove the silicon and do something different.

Anyway, whoever has these installed, it's worth the effort of taking them off and inspecting that black patch to make sure it's not coming off.

Rainlord. Just curious. are you happy with the lights beyond this issue. Mine are in a box and I am getting ready to install.

Rainlord. Just curious. are you happy with the lights beyond this issue. Mine are in a box and I am getting ready to install.

Oh absolutely. I love them. That's why I shelled out the cash on a new pair just to fix that dead LED. The build quality is fine (minus my post about the black patch above). The fit is good, not as flush as factory, but pretty darn close.

Cool and GREAT to hear.. I sprung for the extra cash and bought the ones with the extension to the tailgate so we will see how it goes.. Love my truck and like setting it apart from others.. so so speak. I wanted the chasing or sequential tail lights like the horse.

Cool and GREAT to hear.. I sprung for the extra cash and bought the ones with the extension to the tailgate so we will see how it goes.. Love my truck and like setting it apart from others.. so so speak. I wanted the chasing or sequential tail lights like the horse.

With the concerns about the pins and corrosion, especially given where you are, I'd suggest some electronic conductive grease. You'd probably one need to reapply it once or twice a year, and it should prevent issues. If you're concerned about the tape mounting, get some 3M VHB tape and add more. That stuff, applied to a clean, prepped surface (just clean with alcohol) will never come off without some effort.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the concerns about the pins and corrosion, especially given where you are, I'd suggest some electronic conductive grease. You'd probably one need to reapply it once or twice a year, and it should prevent issues. If you're concerned about the tape mounting, get some 3M VHB tape and add more. That stuff, applied to a clean, prepped surface (just clean with alcohol) will never come off without some effort.
Hey Jon, Thanks for thoughts. corrosion was one of my biggest concerns and Torcia has solved that problem by wiring the new unit in vs the pins. They provide a very small gauge wire harness that is easily hid. As soon as I get it done I plan to post some pics of the install. I really appreciate all the folks that read the forum and provide suggestions etc. THANKS again.

Back