Underdrive pulleys still around for the 4.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Underdrive pulleys still around for the 4.0?

87xjmike

Reaction score
City, State
Colfax, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 exploder
i can't seem to find any. All the old domains that used to sell these when I search on this site and ranger station are no longer in use.

Anybody know where to get them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought for sure these guys would have them: Tom Morana Racing Engines but I couldn't find anything on their site. You should give them a call, maybe they just aren't listed.

It can make up for small differences, but you may need to go to an auto parts store and try a few until you find the one that fits. I've had to do that for custom applications before.

Cool If I order it I'll report back on results and what belt works.

When the pulleys were first introduced it was the same pulley for both motors. From what I've read they are the same balancer.

I just cross referenced on rock auto and the part numbers are different but they look and are almost identical. Crank bore Is extremely close as is the ring width. Does anybody know what portion of the pulley the ring width is?

The first three are the mustang pulley, second three are for a 93 expo. I also see that the pulleys don't have a deep dish on the front side in the mustang pulley. I'm not sure if that matters. May just require a different bolt

IMG_1964.PNG
IMG_1965.PNG
IMG_1966.PNG
IMG_1967.PNG
IMG_1968.PNG
IMG_1969.PNG

When the pulleys were first introduced it was the same pulley for both motors. From what I've read they are the same balancer.

I'll have to look this weekend at my '91, '99 ohv's and compare to my '00 sohc.

The 4.0 sohc mustang UDP definitely fits the ohv..i had to run a 1" shorter belt but did a overdrive pulley on the alternator at same time..wish i kept mine for the explorer,they definitely help with mpg/power especially when combined with a efan

(off topic sry..) I havent checked in since forever, it's good to see some of you old timers around...

FWIW semi-on topic... I have 410k miles on my 92 now, with the same 6 in. lift. We go trail riding sometimes. Drives great! This whole time I've used walmart synthetic lol and FL1A filters. The increase in mileage is about enough to pay for it's oil changes. No valvetrain noise unless it's close to zero outside.

If someone can rattle off the specs of the favorable alternator pulley, I'll go out and look I might have something...

(off topic sry..) I havent checked in since forever, it's good to see some of you old timers around...

FWIW semi-on topic... I have 410k miles on my 92 now, with the same 6 in. lift. We go trail riding sometimes. Drives great! This whole time I've used walmart synthetic lol and FL1A filters. The increase in mileage is about enough to pay for it's oil changes. No valvetrain noise unless it's close to zero outside.

If someone can rattle off the specs of the favorable alternator pulley, I'll go out and look I might have something...
Ebay has the overdrive pulleys(smaller for more power at idle)for like $20,i might have a link that should have the specs also..

Ebay has the overdrive pulleys(smaller for more power at idle)for like $20,i might have a link that should have the specs also..

I've got a handful of 6-rib pulley's that are 17mm centerbore, 62mm diameter (across the peaks of the belt ribs, not the flanges).

My truck has the alternator and bracket from a 95 Limited, which is a larger unit and higher output.. so I don't have a standard 91-94 unit to compare to.. if memory serves me the stock is 66 or 68 mm? Not sure if what I've got here will be of any large benefit...

Ok i'm going to purchase the sohc pulley and an alternator pulley and will report back on what parts worked.

IMG_2024.JPG
Well I got the pulley in the mail yesterday and the instructions sheet that came with it give all the belt part numbers per vehicle. Pretty damn bad ass.

I also had a spare 99 jeep TJ 4.0 alternator pulley that I realized is going to work perfectly as a smaller alt pulley in the explorer. Shaft Diameters and backspacimg was a perfect match. Can't wait to install it.

View attachment 156907 Well I got the pulley in the mail yesterday and the instructions sheet that came with it give all the belt part numbers per vehicle. Pretty damn bad ass.

I also had a spare 99 jeep TJ 4.0 alternator pulley that I realized is going to work perfectly as a smaller alt pulley in the explorer. Shaft Diameters and backspacimg was a perfect match. Can't wait to install it.
Where are you located and do you still have ac?? I have like 30 belts that are pretty much brand new and i dont use anymore,if i have one in the size you need, you can have it if you pay shipping..

Where are you located and do you still have ac?? I have like 30 belts that are pretty much brand new and i dont use anymore,if i have one in the size you need, you can have it if you pay shipping..

I do indeed stil have ac.
That'd be fantastic thanks! I'm in Colfax, ca 95713

I do indeed stil have ac.
That'd be fantastic thanks! I'm in Colfax, ca 95713
K ill double check today,i may have gave them a belt when i sold my UDP awile ago,cant remember if they had ac or not

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like I need an 84" belt that's a
Part number 4060840

Back