List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 43 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

We have a 2013 Ford Explorer with only 31500 miles on it. We notices about a year ago a small bubbling of the paint right at front edge of the hood. We didn't think much of it but now it just keeps growing and there are several spots over the last couple of months. I called our local Ford dealership and service couldn't help but said to take it in to their auto body shop to have them look at it and they will determine whether or not it's a warranty issue. She seemed to think it would not since it's over 2 yrs old and the extended warranty doesn't cover paint. So has anyone had luck with getting them to repair it or any ideas on how to take this further? this isn't right. We are so afraid that one nick in it and the paint will just pull off, we are afraid to even wash it.
I know this is a huge complaint but haven't seen really any resolutions.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum frustratedfordowner.:wave:
I think you may be out of luck. Starting with the 2016 Explorer aluminum panel corrosion is now covered for 5 years. Here is another thread regarding the issue; Resolutions - Hood Paint Bubbling Issue
Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you

Peter

I would start a case with Ford. There have been members with older Explorers that have been covered outside of warranty

Update: I received my Explorer back from the body shop last week...with the new Hood. They did a great job matching the paint. They did not replace the underhood decals...does anybody have a pic of their hood underside with the decals showing? Appreciate it.

Anybody who can snap a couple of pics to help me out? Thanks.

Anybody who can snap a couple of pics to help me out? Thanks.
Would the body shop still have the old hood so you can check out the decals? I could take pictures of mine but I don't know if the decals are specific to the trim, year or country of the vehicle. Is there some specific info that you are looking for on the decals?

Peter

Would the body shop still have the old hood so you can check out the decals? I could take pictures of mine but I don't know if the decals are specific to the trim, year or country of the vehicle. Is there some specific info that you are looking for on the decals?

Peter
The body shop has disposed of the old hood. I’m looking for what the decals say and where they are placed...don’t know if they changed drastically over the 14-17 run, so any pics are appreciated.

I would start a case with Ford. There have been members with older Explorers that have been covered outside of warranty

Where would I go to start a claim? I read they don't respond on here any more. Would it be through the Ford Sync my ride? Thanks

The body shop has disposed of the old hood. I’m looking for what the decals say and where they are placed...don’t know if they changed drastically over the 14-17 run, so any pics are appreciated.
There is only 1 decal and it is to the left of the latch of the hood when looking from the front. Probably the same as your Expedition.

Peter

PC080403.JPG

Where would I start a case, with Ford? Also is there a complaint Facebook page about this particular complaint?
Sorry I didn't mean to post again I didn't see my other post. I aologize

I wanted to give you guys an update. Via twitter I have been corresponding with someone from Ford. Same thing, we are out of warranty so it is not covered. She then recommended the first step would be for us to take it to Ford Auto body and have them look at it. We did that on March 28. She took photos of the hood and sent it to Ford. She said she was well aware of this issue with these. Service manager called today and said Ford denied the claim because we are out of warranty. Ridiculous. He also said he has seen this plenty of times and wishes Ford would do something but said that if they went and fixed the hood they would want to be reimbursed from Ford so it is out of their hands. So I connected with the person on twitter and let her know the process I went through and came back with what is covered under warranty and what is not and said we are out of warranty so basically we are sol. I told her I will be contacting the BBB and will continue to fight this. Unbelievable

I wanted to give you guys an update. Via twitter I have been corresponding with someone from Ford. Same thing, we are out of warranty so it is not covered. She then recommended the first step would be for us to take it to Ford Auto body and have them look at it. We did that on March 28. She took photos of the hood and sent it to Ford. She said she was well aware of this issue with these. Service manager called today and said Ford denied the claim because we are out of warranty. Ridiculous. He also said he has seen this plenty of times and wishes Ford would do something but said that if they went and fixed the hood they would want to be reimbursed from Ford so it is out of their hands. So I connected with the person on twitter and let her know the process I went through and came back with what is covered under warranty and what is not and said we are out of warranty so basically we are sol. I told her I will be contacting the BBB and will continue to fight this. Unbelievable
I'd be interested to see what the BBB says. I doubt that anything will come of it because Ford is within their right to deny warranty work due to the fact that there is no warranty in effect. I fully agree that this is an issue that is the result of the procedure and material that Ford uses. In fact, the warranty for such things has been extended to 5 years, unlimited mileage starting with the 2016 models. Good luck.
Also, as previously requested, please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Peter

Hmm sorry I thought I went into the profile and completed the required. I'll look at it again.

Yea I don't know if anything will come of it. but hopefully if more people do it they will see they need to do something about it.

I aplogize but where do I go to complete the registration? I don't see it. I saw under my profile trim make ect but it doesn't allow me to click on it.

I aplogize but where do I go to complete the registration? I don't see it. I saw under my profile trim make ect but it doesn't allow me to click on it.
Looks like you have done it. Much appreciated.
I don't know if the fact that the coverage on corroded panels on the 2016+ models has been extended will play in your favour but I think it would definitely be worth mentioning. Obviously Ford has recognized that there is an issue.

Peter

I feel your pain with the bubbles. I just looked at my hood the other week and yes there are bubbles on edge. This is my second explorer with hood bubbles. My Ptu was starting to drip oil and being 2 months out of warranty and and a 1000 miles over I knew what Ford would say based on reading all these posts. When I thought about the possibility of the water pump failing I knew it was time to get rid of it. I traded it in on a 4Runner and I will probably never buy another Ford product I'm sorry.

Thanks, sorry you dealt with it too, I can't believe how many people have. We love everything about our explorer but this. We are also Mustang lovers and have owned several and we wanted to buy another but now I feel like I can't bring myself to do it. Our bubbling is so bad I think it would cause issues selling it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel your pain with the bubbles. I just looked at my hood the other week and yes there are bubbles on edge. This is my second explorer with hood bubbles. My Ptu was starting to drip oil and being 2 months out of warranty and and a 1000 miles over I knew what Ford would say based on reading all these posts. When I thought about the possibility of the water pump failing I knew it was time to get rid of it. I traded it in on a 4Runner and I will probably never buy another Ford product I'm sorry.
I think that you'll enjoy the 4Runner. That's all my brother has driven lately. Now that you no longer have the Explorer, please update your profile. Thank you.

Peter

Back