What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 71 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Where you able to get the chrome trim off to black it out? I found 2 bolts and 2 screws but I couldn't figure out what was holding it in the middle.
Rearview camera?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed the Drivebright LED puddle lights. They are much brighter and they fit very snug. These are what Ford should have installed from the factory. I am very happy with the result! Thanks to those on this site who recommended them.

Over the weekend I had the Livernois downpipes, 3 bar sensor, 160 degree thermostat, and 87 tune installed on my Sport. Thing is a whole different animal now!

Also a question for those who have done the same with the 160 thermostat has your operating temperature actually gone down to 160 degrees? Mine is operating in the range of 170 to 190 in traffic, and never gets down to 160.

Over the weekend I had the Livernois downpipes, 3 bar sensor, 160 degree thermostat, and 87 tune installed on my Sport. Thing is a whole different animal now!

Also a question for those who have done the same with the 160 thermostat has your operating temperature actually gone down to 160 degrees? Mine is operating in the range of 170 to 190 in traffic, and never gets down to 160.

Pretty much the same set up and never noticed what temperature my girl runs with. I'll pay attention next time I'm in the ride.

Changed cabin filter. Easier than I thought!

Nice, how did you do it? My dealership charged me around 100 bucks to change it. Part and Labor included.

You open the glove box, disconnect the cable holding the side, slide the hinge pins on the bottom in to drop it, and then the cabin filter is right there. $100 is ridiculous. I think the filter is $25, and it only takes a few minutes to change out.

a
You open the glove box, disconnect the cable holding the side, slide the hinge pins on the bottom in to drop it, and then the cabin filter is right there. $100 is ridiculous. I think the filter is $25, and it only takes a few minutes to change out.

I had to be careful with pins at both ends of bottom. took me a while to snap em back on but next time I would just but a large coffee can under the glove box door, there would be ample room for me to change filter. that way I would not have to deal with the hinge pins. I wish the hinges are sturdy and metal but not plastic.

Quick snaps. Put the wheels on. Can get better pics later.

1522351253284_d3f213f8d013c934f539a4358e3bfb36.jpg

1522351253284_585f5a607777cbaf1ffdd5b4bfbb12ac.jpg

It's good to have wheels on.:D

Nice, how did you do it? My dealership charged me around 100 bucks to change it. Part and Labor included.

Check YouTube DIY cabin filter replacement for 201X ford explorer

I still think you should do something with that plain black 'nose button'. Why not go with a black emblem with red lettering?

Peter

I still think you should do something with that plain black 'nose button'. Why not go with a black emblem with red lettering?

Peter
Was thinking the same exact thing!

Will do that next time. Next phase is the new brake set. That will be on 4/12/18.

a

I had to be careful with pins at both ends of bottom. took me a while to snap em back on but next time I would just but a large coffee can under the glove box door, there would be ample room for me to change filter. that way I would not have to deal with the hinge pins. I wish the hinges are sturdy and metal but not plastic.
I had a bit of an issue with the right side sliding pin. What appears to be the paasenger air bag bracket was blocking it from sliding into the release position. It wouldn't budge for me. I ended up accidentally breaking that hole in the glove box assy, because I tried to see if I could do the cabin air filter change with just one side out. It certainly looks like someone had been down there before me: it was a bit chewed up before I started. With 50k mi on the '16 Ex that I ordered in 2015, I can't really explain the apparent damage. It makes me think you need to drop that air bag bracket before sliding the glove box pin out.

Red vinyl wrapping done on the hood and back and got the rig washed today. Here's the finished look. Some say that I should do the top of my ride but I think that will be too much red since I've got the bottom trim done in red already. Thoughts?

Next to be one is the Power Stop brake set. It's being delivered on 4/11 and installed 4/14.
IMG_1555.JPG
fullsizeoutput_455f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4560.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4562.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4566.jpeg

Well, today was fun...full Powerstop HD brake kit installed, and changed the center caps on the wheels from silver to black.

Everything was fine until we went to connect the brake line to the last caliper, and found the threads in the hole damaged. We had to take the fronts off and reinstall the old ones until I can get a replacement caliper.

I also went through almost 2 liters of fluid doing a complete flush. Some of that was lost to leakage while messing with the bad caliper.

IMG_20180407_120037.jpg

IMG_20180407_125041.jpg

IMG_20180407_133531.jpg

IMG_20180407_120251.jpg

IMG_20180407_142839.jpg

IMG_20180407_120245.jpg

IMG_20180407_142846.jpg

View media item 775
IMG_20180407_143712.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, today was fun...full Powerstop HD brake kit installed, and changed the center caps on the wheels from silver to black.

Everything was fine until we went to connect the brake line to the last caliper, and found the threads in the hole damaged. We had to take the fronts off and reinstall the old ones until I can get a replacement caliper.

View attachment 157434 View attachment 157436 View attachment 157437 View attachment 157438 View attachment 157439 View attachment 157440 View attachment 157441 View media item 775
View attachment 157435

Damn! Let me know how it goes. I got mine coming in on the 11th and having installed on the 14rh.

Back