Nitrous 1994 Explorer | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous 1994 Explorer

About a month ago I got Nitrous on my 1994 Explorer and I've been waiting to try it out at the track. Wednesday was the first Test & Tune night at Bandimere Speedway. Currently spraying 50 HP with NGK TR6 spark plugs. After a couple runs the spark plugs looked great. Probably gonna try a 75 shot sometime soon. I gotta thank user [MENTION=91966]jd4242[/MENTION] for his help on getting the kit installed.

Up here at 5800 feet above sea level, cars run a lot slower. With only a KKM intake and Dynomax muffer my fastest run ever was 19.30 at 70 mph.

Here at the time slips
20160428_115846_001.jpg

Quite a big drop in ET and good MPH gain. This kit was definatly worth it whether it's racing or just messing around on the streets.

Video of me at Bandimere Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8yaVFDRQE

This is the kit i used: http://www.amazon.com/Nitrous-Express-20421-10-Proton-System/dp/B004706C0Q?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Pf-4tbpAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=BVXFR76Y48TZXKX4W7Z1&ref_=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_2&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop#immersive-view_1456289394090

The setup:
10lb Bottle
20160325_111346.jpg

Fuel and Nitrous lines
20160325_111418.jpg

Solenoids
20160325_111437.jpg

Engage Switch Off/On
20160429_171751.jpg

Fire button
20160429_171829.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New intake is on. Works well with the BBK throttle bottle.
Two week ago I mailed in my solenoids to Nitrous Express. Once I get that back I plan on putting that back on as well as the bottle heater. April 14th is Julesburg Dragstrip's opening weekend. I'm hoping I'll be able to make it out there and make some runs at the lower elevation.

20180320_174005.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

New intake is on. Works well with the BBK throttle bottle.
Two week ago I mailed in my solenoids to Nitrous Express. Once I get that back I plan on putting that back on as well as the bottle heater. April 14th is Julesburg Dragstrip's opening weekend. I'm hoping I'll be able to make it out there and make some runs at the lower elevation.

View attachment 156878
Have they said what was wrong with them?? I assume they are gonna replace or rebuild them for free..definitely interested in whats going on as i have the same ones..

Have they said what was wrong with them?? I assume they are gonna replace or rebuild them for free..definitely interested in whats going on as i have the same ones..
When i was in contact with them they said that it could be a bad coil but hopefully I'll find out what went wrong when I get them back.

Spoke with NX today, They said that the plunger in the solenoid got stuck due to not being used for a while and the coil is not powerful enough to reopen it. Cost me $30 to get it fixed and they'll be shipping it tomorrow. Just in time for Julesburg on the 15th.

Spoke with NX today, They said that the plunger in the solenoid got stuck due to not being used for a while and the coil is not powerful enough to reopen it. Cost me $30 to get it fixed and they'll be shipping it tomorrow. Just in time for Julesburg on the 15th.
Hmm thats odd,was it the fuel or nitrous one ?? Cant remember? ? Guess i should cycle mine every now and then ..lol

Hmm thats odd,was it the fuel or nitrous one ?? Cant remember? ? Guess i should cycle mine every now and then ..lol
Just the nitrous one. I had no problem spaying fuel.

Just the nitrous one. I had no problem spaying fuel.
Figured been other way around,i know the ethanol gets blamed alot for rusting the plunger but these are spose to be ethanol safe

Never got the chance to go out to Julesburg last month. Both weekends were canceled due to snow and rain so I won't know for a little while what I'll be running ET wise but the nitrous is working perfectly.

Starting to get familiar with the bottle heater. I think it'll really help with consistency. Did a couple test hits and even managed to get some tire spin on a launch. Raced my friend's 7.3 F350. We were about dead even until 3rd gear when his compound turbo finally spooled up and flew ahead of me.

Fun stuff, can't wait to be racing this summer.

Haven't updated in a while but still running great. Went to the track three weeks ago and made it the third round of bracket racing. Bottle heater is working great and has no problem keeping the pressure up. Nothing really new on the truck for now. Anyone know how often i should be replacing the TR6 spark plugs? They're the original plugs I've had while using nitrous. They look good but I read in another thread they should be replaced often.

Haven't updated in a while but still running great. Went to the track three weeks ago and made it the third round of bracket racing. Bottle heater is working great and has no problem keeping the pressure up. Nothing really new on the truck for now. Anyone know how often i should be replacing the TR6 spark plugs? They're the original plugs I've had while using nitrous. They look good but I read in another thread they should be replaced often.

For as cheap as they are,id change regularly. .copper plugs dont last long

Mega props to keep at it without dumping tons of money into the truck, its hard not to want to go faster always. I had a buddy growing up that won a few bracket races with an automatic Geo metro. It was hideous but it took home the $1000 purse a few times.

Thanks! I'm always thinking about ways to go faster but money is always an obstacle. Nevertheless, I have so much racing it even though it ain't the fastest thing at the track

Well it's been a while since I last updated this thread. Ever since transfering to the university last Fall I haven't had much time to work on my Explorer. Few weeks ago I crossed over 150,000 miles so I did a transmission fluid change and it shifts a little smoother now. Got the nitrous bottle filled up and a brand new spark plugs for the first bracket racing night of the season this weekend. So nothing new modifications wise, but I'm excited to get back out on the track!

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the vapour that comes off as you pull up to start? Just read this entire thread, jealous of your ex lol.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the vapour that comes off as you pull up to start? Just read this entire thread, jealous of your ex lol.
It's a nitrous purge. It's purpose is too clear the nitrous lines of any air pcokets so you get a clean hit. It can also be used to relieve bottle pressure if it's too high.

But...but...but I want nitrous

Some unfortunate news. There's a leak in the main nitrous line that I found last night and I won't have the time to replace it before racing starts today. Still going out to the track, I'll be just running without the nitrous for bracket racing..

My new nitrous line finally came in the mail, got it installed and did a few test hits and everything seems to be working good. Can't wait to get it back out at the drag strip.

Scary night out at the track last night, came too close to destroying my engine. First run was solid, ran a 16.28 at 83 MPH. The next run I missed second gear and heard a loud pop which was my intake tube blowing off resulting in the wire mesh from the MAF becoming stuck inside the throttle body. Pretty scary. Is it safe to drive without that wire mesh in the MAF? I'm gonna go to the junkyard today to see if I can find a replacement..

20190531_212427.jpg

Back