Window Tinting | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tinting

For when you are parked (of course)
tar-wars-millennium-falcon-windshield-sun-shade-xl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Llumnar Air Blue on my windshields here, would recommend. 80% light transmission, 99%+ blocking of UV. 43% heat rejection.

FYI, for a standard to go by, "clear" untinted glass in a car isn't clear. The light transmission of that clear glass is about 90%. So figure that into any calculations of law's regulations on light transmission.

Well, after talking about it for months, I finally had the front windows tinted. They're the same darkness as the rear ones and I hope they keep my black interior a little bit cooler in the sun.

window-tint-small.jpg

I'm planning on getting the windows tinted and I'm looking at llumar ceramic and suntek ceramic for the front windows as I would like to protect the interiors from uv rays but now I'm wondering even though the back ones are dark if I should get the clear ones in the back for the uv protection.
I'm planning on going with 35% as I don't want anything to dark. I have 20% in our old exp and I don't like to much at night.

Also, what would be better llumar or suntek?

Thanks in advance.

Do the lightest/clear on the factory tinted glass, if you want to protect from UV rays. That will darken the glass a little more, maybe 10% or so.

So don't select the front tint first if you are trying to match the back. You'd have to put the light tint on the rear first and test it to see what new tint would match that.

I figured since this popped up I would add a pic of mine. I had mine done a week after I got it and 3 years later wouldn't do it any different. It has 5% all around.
sporttint.jpg

For those of you who've tinted the front side windows, what percentage did you go with?

For those of you who've tinted the front side windows, what percentage did you go with?
A lot of that depends on the tint laws in your state if you wish to stay legal.

Peter

The way I see it is, no one goes to jail for tinted windows. Just tint the windows and pay the fine(s) when applicable. Not a big deal. Just looks so much better tint-matched all around (not including windshield).

Have a tint shop match the front windows to the other tinted side glass. It looks much better than way.

The way I see it is, no one goes to jail for tinted windows. Just tint the windows and pay the fine(s) when applicable. Not a big deal. Just looks so much better tint-matched all around (not including windshield).

Right, no one goes to jail for window tinting violations.... But countless drivers get pulled over for window tinting violations, then go to jail for lots of other things.

Good luck.

Right, no one goes to jail for window tinting violations.... But countless drivers get pulled over for window tinting violations, then go to jail for lots of other things.

Good luck.
Another fan of Live*PD?

Another fan of Live*PD?

No, Defense Attorney in previous life.... For every crime solved by a brilliant detective, one thousand were solved by people making poor decisions.

Good luck!

So I've read through this entire thread and I've seen a few people quite certain of the % tint for the rears. The problem is, there are differing answers. I've seen 15%, 17%, 20%, 25%. Does anyone have the absolutely definitive answer in term of % tint comes from the factory for the rear windows?

So I've read through this entire thread and I've seen a few people quite certain of the % tint for the rears. The problem is, there are differing answers. I've seen 15%, 17%, 20%, 25%. Does anyone have the absolutely definitive answer in term of % tint comes from the factory for the rear windows?

The OEM tint isn't the same through all years, or models. It's likely in the range of 50% or just below, tint shops should be able to tell you what yours is.

The OEM tint isn't the same through all years, or models. It's likely in the range of 50% or just below, tint shops should be able to tell you what yours is.

Good point. With that said, it would be helpful if people can include their model and year when posting the tint %.

I had a friend driving through a state (of which I cannot remember), got pulled over for his tint, and had to peel it on the spot. The state he was driving through was not the state on his license plates. This was quite some time ago though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a friend driving through a state (of which I cannot remember), got pulled over for his tint, and had to peel it on the spot. The state he was driving through was not the state on his license plates. This was quite some time ago though.

That happened to me when I moved to California back in 1998. They made me remove it on the spot or get a ticket. Thank God I no longer live in California

Back