Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good buy, you gotta jump at great deals.

I just came back from NC yesterday with another SE Mark VII, another project that needs work.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well, there were some problems that caused a delay of the shipping of my nitrous kit but we got it worked out and finally it will be shipped tomorrow.
Should have it in a couple of days if all goes well.
It has been extremely cold here lately, I saw 7 degrees F on my overhead display the other day.
This weekend it is supposed to go up to 59F. I plan to work on my 2004 and try to get all the monitors to run for state inspection which is due by the end of February.
After that I can focus on the race truck again.

Got the Nitrous kit today, it all showed up in good shape.
$550 for an $800 plus kit so I wont ***** about how long it took to get it at my house.
The kit comes with new high flow bottle, solenoids, and a plate that fits between the throttle body and supercharger on the GT500.
Of course there are wires, switches, brackets, a WOT switch, lines, and some different sized jets starting out with a 50 shot.
The seller said he is sending me some more jets that someone dropped off at his house too, he forgot to put them in the package so is sending them separately.
I don't know what sizes they are but maybe they will be smaller than my 50 shot ones, I really want to start out with the smallest I can get my hands on for experimenting.

IMG_1764.JPG

I can't wait to see the results of this mod!

So? Did you find a smaller jet than the 50 shot?
Find any time/energy to work on installation? Atco raceway appears to be open. lol

Life got real messed up again for me and took up all my time.
This Saturday was the first time I had a chance to get out to the garage.
Also this Saturday was the first warm weather we have had, and it went from a cold 40 to a hot 80 degrees F.
I had the truck on wheel dollies and moved all the way over so I could get one of my other trucks into the garage when it snowed, that way I only had to clear the snow off one vehicle each time the snow fell.

Got the truck moved over and reinstalled my EGR system and now I have to get all the monitors to run. There may be some tuning required.
At least I don't have to put smaller injectors in this year, should be able to get it ready in a short amount of time.
Once I get a good sticker on it, I plan to try to test out a different EGR system that I can leave on all year.
I currently have a DPFE egr system. I want to test out swapping to an ESM egr system.
If this works I can make my own egr tube with the tubing bender and flare tool I used for my 2004.

After this experiment its back to trying to find out where to mount everything for the Nitrous kit.
If this goes like last year it may not be until September before I am racing again.
Here's hoping this year goes better.

I hope you get some time to work on the good stuff(fun stuff). This weather has been extra weird this year. We've been dry and near 75 for several days, rain yesterday and under 40 all day today. Tonight we see freezing again, and maybe 60 and sun tomorrow. This is fun?

The benefit according to Ford is that the restriction orifice was moved from the middle of the egr tube to the gasket.
The ESM system egr gasket is actually the restriction orifice now. The DPFE sensor on the DPFE system measured difference in pressure across the orifice in the egr tube and the DPFE sensor in the ESM system measures the difference in vacuum across the orifice between the egr valve and the intake manifold.
The real benefit is that when the EGR valve is closed there is no pressure or hot gasses pushing against the DPFE sensor so it lasts longer.

One benefit for you might be not blowing the DPFE hoses off at wot due to high back pressures from having a turbo. The EGR is closed at wot and the ESM egr valve isolates the sensor from the exhaust when closed.

The benefit for me would be that I can make an egr tube from stock 5/8 stainless tube and bend it any way I need to for fitment.
I would not be able to do that if I needed to have the two little tubes for the DPFE system's DPFE sensor. I would have to have some welding done and I would rather be able to do it all myself but I don't weld.

Maybe you could teach us as you find time to move forward with this. I'm always interested in updating technology on my 19 year old vehicle. lol.

The benefit according to Ford is that the restriction orifice was moved from the middle of the egr tube to the gasket.
The ESM system egr gasket is actually the restriction orifice now. The DPFE sensor on the DPFE system measured difference in pressure across the orifice in the egr tube and the DPFE sensor in the ESM system measures the difference in vacuum across the orifice between the egr valve and the intake manifold.
The real benefit is that when the EGR valve is closed there is no pressure or hot gasses pushing against the DPFE sensor so it lasts longer.

One benefit for you might be not blowing the DPFE hoses off at wot due to high back pressures from having a turbo. The EGR is closed at wot and the ESM egr valve isolates the sensor from the exhaust when closed.

The benefit for me would be that I can make an egr tube from stock 5/8 stainless tube and bend it any way I need to for fitment.
I would not be able to do that if I needed to have the two little tubes for the DPFE system's DPFE sensor. I would have to have some welding done and I would rather be able to do it all myself but I don't weld.

Ditto, I would be more inclined to keep the EGR if it was less trouble to fabricate the EGR pipe, and to have the DPFE last longer would also help. I'd try to keep it since I think it is somewhat beneficial, much more than the cats. I could adapt it easier with my old 92 Lincoln also, I've been planning to delete it since I'd have to have a custom length EGR pipe, and add the bung to a header.

State Inspection and Monitors Running

Today I drove the Explorer all over the place trying to get the monitors ready.
I could not get LiveLink Gen2 to work with the OBD2 Test state pids, so I hooked up the old X3 and used Live Link 6.5
I had to try quite a few times to get all the conditions right for the O2 monitors to run but at least I got it to work with the 60lb injectors.
So glad I don't have to swap injectors anymore.
Then it took for ever to run the EGR monitor, and the Evap and Catalyst monitor still have not run as expected.
I am allowed 2 monitors to be not ready so it is good to go now.

Tomorrow I remove the pillar gauges and pods and then my center console gets swapped for my stock one with no gauges or lights in it.
Also have to remove the wideband gauge and pod off the steering column, and remove my OBD2 connector extender that goes to my center console.
Then It should be all good to go for Monday. Wish me luck!

Here is a screenshot of the O2 monitors running today.

O2 Monitors passing w60s.jpg

Wow ! so glad i dont get plugged in with my 97 V8 sport, they rip you for the gauges?

they rip you for the gauges?

what he said. thats dumb if they do. like....really? hell, up here, they never smog you, and the only inspection you ever have is a safety when you first put it in your name (just so you can prove that it wont fall apart going down the road). then after that, anything goes. evil hasnt had any type of inspections since i bought it 12ish years ago.

Delaware and NewJersy have very simular inspection , every two years here but in my county all i have to do 97 and older is a snif test low idle , 98 and up gets plugged in which is gonna suck when i take the 01 sport trac in , but other than the normal safety stuff lights, wipers,horn ,brakes, they dont really mess with you ...but if you have an exterior light even aftermarket it has to work, and no tint on front windows , and lift laws and tires cant stick out lol

I remove the pillar gauges because they are in the way of removing and installing the new sticker.
I remove all the other gauges because I don't want to draw attention to them.
Its bad enough how loud it is, if I light foot it the trucks stays pretty quiet so I pull up real slow. lol.
Jersey is every 2 years.
Pennsylvania is every year, Jersey used to be so I am glad it changed. It is just a hassle.

Oh yea, and 1995 and older don't even have to be inspected in NJ anymore.

I remove the pillar gauges because they are in the way of removing and installing the new sticker.
I remove all the other gauges because I don't want to draw attention to them.
Its bad enough how loud it is, if I light foot it the trucks stays pretty quiet so I pull up real slow. lol.
Jersey is every 2 years.
Pennsylvania is every year, Jersey used to be so I am glad it changed. It is just a hassle.

Oh yea, and 1995 and older don't even have to be inspected in NJ anymore.

That's good, they leave the oldest cars alone eventually. I'm glad we don't have the hassles here, yet. It's in Nashville because that's a big business area here.

The truck passed inspection this morning.
This means I have two more years to experiment with it.
Next weekend I plan to reinstall all of the gauges etc, then I hope to experiment with the ESM egr system.
After that its time to work on that nitrous kit install.

This is what my EGR tube looks like now, I plan to change this soon.
Also a screenshot of my odometer right before inspection so I can track the mileage.

IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1956.JPG

Back