• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Battery Life Expectancy

traveler100

Reaction score
City, State
Bradenton, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Okay Explorer Nation, I need some feedback on what I should expect for Battery Life. Its been 16 years since I purchased an aftermarket battery. I ran Town Cars for years who's OEM battery's would last 10 Yrs, in Ohio. My 2012 Explorer is showing signs the battery is dying. 4years in Ohio and 2years in Florida. I thought 6 years was a short life but locals are telling me heat kills batteries more than cold, and 6 yr life is better than average.

Question, what recommendations to do have for a aftermarket battery replacement? Who has the best warranty? I've heard Auto Nation has a life time warranty???. I'll take all the input you fellows have. Guess I was spoiled with the Town Cars. Also whats the best source Big Box Stores (Costco, Sam's, BJ's), AutoZone, Advanced Auto. Hopefully you guys can save me a lot of time. Dont mind paying top dollar but want a good warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First battery was replaced under warranty right before I hit 36k. I just replaced it again around 115k with an interstate. Started getting the warning when you shut it off that the radio is shutting off to conserve battery. Also could hear it cranking a little slower.

I believe interstate to be one of the best out there. Yes heat kills.. but there is also speculation many electronics ok n these vehicles now, I dont believe batteries on average will last like they did in the 80s/90s.

I had two Ford branded batteries head south in less than a year. I put in an Interstate Mega Tron II, 850 CCA (upgraded from the 650 or so I believe that came stock). So far, I've been happy with it.

Mine is on at least its third battery, all in the first ~65k miles. I got an Interstate from Costco, where they're 1/2 the price.

Mine lasted 5 years 50K miles barely. On the second battery and I already had it drained on me once in less than 2 years.

Batteries are a crap shoot anymore. Some will last quite a ways past the warranty period and others will die before the warranty is up. While I haven't had to replace the one in my Explorer I do have a F250 diesel truck that has gone through a couple of sets of batteries.

The originals lasted the longest in the truck. I replaced them with another set of Motorcraft that died in half the time that the originals did. I now have some Autozone Duralast in it, so far they are doing their job going on 6 years. I expect to have to replace them at anytime now.

Unfortunately, the life expectancy of a car battery is only 2-6 years (some say 2-5 and others say 3-6).

Some of the things that cause batteries to fail prematurely:
-temp extremes - excessive hot or cold - typically outside of the operating range of the battery
-excessive drains on battery - more than alternator can keep up with or higher than normal parasitic drain when car is off - car sits a lot/driven low miles/short trips - bad alternator/charging circuit
-over-charging/over-discharging - bad alternator/charging circuit
-corroded or loose connections

When buying a new battery, make sure it is fresh - preferably within one month of manufacture date - and have your starting/charging system checked out. If you don't have jumper cables or a lithium jump pack, you may want to consider getting one/both. They are cheap insurance.

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a privately owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls through independent distributors. It seems that lots of automotive batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls (including Motorcraft). This came from an internet search and matches one I had researched several years ago. It appears that there are only three major automotive batter manufacturers in the USA.

Six years is very good for a battery. The ten years you were previously getting was exceptional. Entirely not normal. When I lived in the deep south, I was going through batteries at a rate of around one every three years. Didn't matter the vehicle. Even in Tennessee, which is ever so slightly cooler, my Fusion's OEM battery made it 38 months. I imagine Florida is equally hard on batteries.

There is a decent chart at some battery retailers (maybe NTB) that shows the expected lifespan of batteries based on climate. I wish I could find a copy, but it shows a dramatic decrease in expected battery life the further south you go. I remember researching it at the time and basically, the heat destroys batteries more often than all but the very coldest climates, but we associate dead batteries with cold because cranking amps are reduced in cold weather, and so we experience more unexpected dead batteries in cold weather living in places like Maryland or Ohio...or something like that.

Anyway, you got a good run. Interstate seems to have pretty good warranty coverage, but I typically just replace my battery every 3-4 years as a precaution, and I keep jumper cables just in case, so warranty coverage has never been something I worried about on batteries.

Over the past decade, I've had best luck -- and longest life -- with batteries manufactured by East Penn. In the New England area, common brands made by East Penn include Deka and Duracell. There may be other brands made by East Penn in other regions.

Best deal on Duracell-brand batteries can be found at Sam's Club stores. Batteries there are very fresh -- most within a month of date of manufacture -- because Sam's Club sells so many batteries.

Its the 2 years in Florida. Heat kills batteries. Your lucky to get 2 years in Vegas out of one, but up here, you can easily get 7 to 10 if you don't ever let it get run down.

I’ve also had very good luck with Duracell branded batteries. Their mower batteries are great. The only battery that I didn’t have to jump over sitting all winter. Current mower battery is three years old. The current one in my truck is only two years old, so I can’t say about that. I believe I got 4 years out of my last one, but I am very hard on batteries.

I got 70k & 5 years on my factory battery. Replaced with Motorcraft BXT-65-850 for more Winter cranking power.

Take a look at the warranty...the Motorcraft Batteries have a longer free replacement before prorating than the others.
I too have had exceptional battery luck and got 10 years and 155,000 miles (don't know how much longer the battery lasted as I sold the car) in my '77 Oldsmobile Omega in Minnesota. It was almost the factory battery as the original crapped out in 2 months and was replaced with a Delco Freedom.

Interstate Battery System of America, Inc., a.k.a. Interstate Batteries, is a privately owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls through independent distributors. It seems that lots of automotive batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls (including Motorcraft). This came from an internet search and matches one I had researched several years ago. It appears that there are only three major automotive batter manufacturers in the USA.

I'm in concurrence that most batteries sold are made buy three major automotive battery manufacturers in the US and the general life of a battery is about 2-6 years, so it's mostly about the free replacement warranty that distinguishes some brands from others.

Much like tires... batteries are built to the spec of the requestor. Yes, JCI makes MC and Interstate perhaps--but I'd put good money that the Interstate is going to last longer/better quality. That's a whole brand to protect. Motorcraft as a battery brand? Nobody cares.

Just my $.02.

Over the past decade, I've had best luck -- and longest life -- with batteries manufactured by East Penn. In the New England area, common brands made by East Penn include Deka and Duracell. There may be other brands made by East Penn in other regions.

Best deal on Duracell-brand batteries can be found at Sam's Club stores. Batteries there are very fresh -- most within a month of date of manufacture -- because Sam's Club sells so many batteries.

I agree and I have found that they are higher in CCA ratings than most others. CCA is very important in newer vehicles with more things running in the background even when sitting in a "non-running" condition.

Much like tires... batteries are built to the spec of the requestor. Yes, JCI makes MC and Interstate perhaps--but I'd put good money that the Interstate is going to last longer/better quality. That's a whole brand to protect. Motorcraft as a battery brand? Nobody cares.

Just my $.02.

Completely agree with this.

Two things car owners hate buying. Tires and batteries. Walk through a mall parking lot and look at tires on vehicles. A lot of nearly bald tires. The cause of a lot of wrecks especially on wet, snowy or icy roads. Yet people refuse to replace their tires. I replace at 4 - 5/32. I'm not going any lower.

Same with batteries. People wait until the battery gives out to replace it. Seems really, really stupid. Maybe cars should be like cell phones and give you a % of life remaining. I ALWAYS replace a battery at the end of 3 years. So, my 2016 Explorer will get a new battery in about 1 year. Once batteries go over 3 years you are on borrowed time. And for the little amount of money they cost, replace them before you are stranded.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone thanks for your responses. I obviously was spoiled with my Town Car battery performance and I'm sure battery quality has been down graded over the years. My search found an unlimited battery replacement for life of Car ownership for $179 at the local Ford Auto-nation dealer and a 3yr/5Yr prorated warranty on a Walmart top of the line Ever-Start Maxx battery for $94. based on our plans of how long we'll keep our 2012 Explorer we went with the Walmart option. Have no idea who makes the battery but from the posts I've read on this thread, it must be one of three Mfg's. I'll keep you posted should I have a battery life less than 3years.
Thanks again for your input.

Back