OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations.

If the rotors are indecent shape I would have them turned. The noise you describe sounds like a wheel bearing. Turning right resulting in a noise on the left is classic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

before you jump to the wheel bearing - since you say your brakes are squeaking now on application. often that noise is the result of the pad squeaker on the rotor - when you change your pads you'll see there is a sheet metal tab that protrudes out to about 1/3 the pad thickness or so - and it's there to make noise when you reach the near end life of the pad.

It is thus also possible that upon turning to sling that pad against the rotor - also causing it to make noise even when the brakes aren't applied.

Not saying it can't be a bad wheel bearing just that they are often not the cause of issues and most modern wheel bearing last into 150K miles easily. Provided the car hasn't been damaged. (driven straight in to curbing to break a tire, towing at weight limits - off roading/jumping etc)

On the rotors - you will probably find that your rotors are at minimum thickness so they might not be able to be turned. Might I say. This is becoming common place on cars today and honestly not such a bad thing as often rotors are reasonable priced. Unless you own an odd car like mine and they are 140+ for good ones regardless.

So that end I would buy the new ones anyway - so they are on hand if you need them - and then measure your old ones to see if they could be turned. Worst case you have to use the new ones - best case you can return them.

Bumping this old thread.

So, early 2017 dealer said my rear pads were getting low(4mm or so), so I purchased Rabestos EHT pads and Motorcraft rotors. The EHT pads seem to get good reviews. I still haven’t installed them because the rear pads still had quite a bit of life left in them last I checked.

I’m at just under 70k miles now, and I’ll be checking the front brakes during my next tire rotation, probably next weekend, but I’m thinking the fronts will be getting down there as well.

If I need front brakes, I’d like to get the same pads as the rears, but I’m running into an issue.

Raybestos doesn’t have the Sport model listed for 2014(not sure about other years). When I look on Rockauto, the EHT pad they have is PN EHT1508H, but it says w/o Heavy Duty brakes.

Now, I believe sometime mid 2013(MY) they changed all Explorers to the same front brakes, so even the standard Explorers had the larger brakes that the Sport had.

Can anyone confirm that all Explorers in 2014 had the same size rotors and same calipers? I think if the same rotor/calipers are used across the board in 2014, I should be able to purchase the EHT1508H pads for the front even if they don’t specifically state with HD brakes.

Thoughts? Comments? Thanks?

Bumping this old thread.

So, early 2017 dealer said my rear pads were getting low(4mm or so), so I purchased Rabestos EHT pads and Motorcraft rotors. The EHT pads seem to get good reviews. I still haven’t installed them because the rear pads still had quite a bit of life left in them last I checked.

I’m at just under 70k miles now, and I’ll be checking the front brakes during my next tire rotation, probably next weekend, but I’m thinking the fronts will be getting down there as well.

If I need front brakes, I’d like to get the same pads as the rears, but I’m running into an issue.

Raybestos doesn’t have the Sport model listed for 2014(not sure about other years). When I look on Rockauto, the EHT pad they have is PN EHT1508H, but it says w/o Heavy Duty brakes.

Now, I believe sometime mid 2013(MY) they changed all Explorers to the same front brakes, so even the standard Explorers had the larger brakes that the Sport had.

Can anyone confirm that all Explorers in 2014 had the same size rotors and same calipers? I think if the same rotor/calipers are used across the board in 2014, I should be able to purchase the EHT1508H pads for the front even if they don’t specifically state with HD brakes.

Thoughts? Comments? Thanks?

Yes, the change was Mid-2013. That said, I've still seen them listed as standard or heavy duty for all years, because they are all compatible with 2011+, so I would be hesitant to buy them wihto

Yes, the change was Mid-2013. That said, I've still seen them listed as standard or heavy duty for all years, because they are all compatible with 2011+, so I would be hesitant to buy them wihto

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some more digging. Maybe I'll contact Raybestos about EHT compound for heavy duty front brakes. I think it would be odd that they don't have the same pads for the front with HD brakes. The rears were listed as 'with HD brakes.'

If I find anything, I'll post an update .

Raybestos rotors and Wagner thermoquiet pads. Did the work myself and am happy.

2017 sport here, and the factory brakes are garbage. Very dissapointed in ford for making such ****ty brakes for a $50k plus vehicle. About 16k miles, and front brakes were warped. Feels like my rears are on its way out now also.

2017 sport here, and the factory brakes are garbage. Very dissapointed in ford for making such ****ty brakes for a $50k plus vehicle. About 16k miles, and front brakes were warped. Feels like my rears are on its way out now also.

Odd because my 2014 Sport is still on its original pads and rotors @ 70k miles with no signs of warping.

Maybe driving habits play a role.

Can you elaborate how the rears feel like they are on their way out?

Odd because my 2014 Sport is still on its original pads and rotors @ 70k miles with no signs of warping.

Maybe driving habits play a role.

Can you elaborate how the rears feel like they are on their way out?
I feel the rears starting to pulsate under braking..I drive the sport the way its meant to be driven every once in awhile, but nothing too crazy

I got a reply from Raybestos and they do not have the EHT compound for the front HD brakes. They said it's due to the HD brakes requiring semi-metallic for the potential severe duty high heat requirement, which I think is more focused on PIU versions.

So, now I have to decide if I want to return the EHT rear pads(EDIT: Not able to return due to Rock Auto 30 day return policy) and go with a match set from another brand(Wagner Thermoquiets seem to get good reviews or their newer OEX line), or just pick up the front pads from the other brand and keep the EHT for the rear. Not really excited about having mismatched pads though.

Same here. Our 2016 Platinum is over 75K miles and still on the original pads and rotors both front and back.

One more time back to the top.

I rotated my wheels this weekend and the original rear pads are toast @ just over 70K miles.
The inner pad is more worn than the outside, so I'm guessing they are hanging a little bit. will grease and make sure they are clean before reinstalling.
I already have the rear rotors and pads, so I'm going to change them this weekend.
Again, I have motorcraft rotors and Raybestos EHT pads. The pads better fit my vehicle since they were advertised for with HD brakes, but I'm a little worried since they didn't have the same pad for the front with HD brakes.

Original fronts I would say are still around 50% pad life.No pulsing or odd brake feeling, so fronts will remain on for a while longer.

BTW, this is about 20k after the dealer said I needed rear pads.

So, I have new OEM front and rear pads for our 2016 Platinum that has 75,300 miles on it. Replaced the rear pads as they were just about done, but I was surprised to see that the front pads still have a long way to go. Amazing. New pad at the top and current pad below,

brakes.jpg

Does anybody know if the Interceptor uses different size rotors and pads over the civilian Explorer?
I got 24k on my Sport and my backing plate is thicker then the amount of pad I have left. Also for OEM Motorcraft replacement does anybody have apart number? Even on ford.parts.com and entering my vin number still shows multiple part numbers for just rear pads. Part numbers BR1377B, BRF1539 and BRSD1377

Does anybody know if the Interceptor uses different size rotors and pads over the civilian Explorer?
I got 24k on my Sport and my backing plate is thicker then the amount of pad I have left. Also for OEM Motorcraft replacement does anybody have apart number? Even on ford.parts.com and entering my vin number still shows multiple part numbers for just rear pads.

The Sport has the same size pads and rotors as the interceptor. I believe the pad compound is different. I don't have OEM PN's.

I assume the Interceptor pads and rotors are severe duty

I got 24k on my Sport and my backing plate is thicker then the amount of pad I have left. Also for OEM Motorcraft replacement does anybody have apart number? Even on ford.parts.com and entering my vin number still shows multiple part numbers for just rear pads. Part numbers BR1377B, BRF1539 and BRSD1377
I find this site very handy; Rear Brakes for 2017 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

Hello Everyone! My name is Eric!!
so, i have a 2016 Explorer sport in platinum white!! i have about 5 months left on my lease and i plan on financing it to KEEP!!!! That's when all the fun will begin!!! I don't have much planned but so far what i have in mind are the following:

Looking into better brakes. Really wanted brembo brakes but i dont think any of them fit the explorer.

PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS!!! :D
HAPPY MODDING EVERYONE!!

Anyone on this thread have the torque specs for the caliper pins and brackets front and rear for the 16 Ex?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone on this thread have the torque specs for the caliper pins and brackets front and rear for the 16 Ex?
Front Caliper Bracket 122 lb. ft
Front Caliper (13 in brakes) 53 lb. ft
Front Caliper (14 in brakes) 55 lb. ft
Rear Caliper Bracket 76 lb. ft
Rear Caliper 24 lb ft

Back