Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 63 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funky tube. Lol. If it's working.... perfect. With my supercharger on my ohv I really struggled with it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Today I test fitted a 2004 ESM EGR valve on my 1998 supercharged Explorer.
It didn't go as planned, the connector ended up hitting the firewall/bulkhead.
I will try another ESM EGR valve off a different vehicle that has different clocking in the future.
I removed my DPFE egr system for now.

Since the EGR was a no go, I just had to start the Nitrous install.
Already I will need a longer N2O hose from N2O solenoid to GT500 plate behind the throttle body.
At least I got the plate installed, and went back to the Ford Racing throttle body to accomplish this.
I have the fuel solenoid installed as well but did not hook up the hose to the fuel pressure regulator yet.

IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG

What jets you gonna start with?

I have a jet kit that came with the setup, it said to use the N35 and G17 for a 50 shot with 45 psi fuel pressure.
I think I am going to use the N29 and G16 instead, or I might order some more jets.
There are a lot of nitrous charts, they seem to use 45 and 55 psi for EFI plate kits but I run 39-40 psi fuel pressure.
I went back and looked at what you nitrous kit chart looked like that you posted here and compared it to the one I got with my kit.
Seems to be some differences between manufacturers.

I have a jet kit that came with the setup, it said to use the N35 and G17 for a 50 shot with 45 psi fuel pressure.
I think I am going to use the N29 and G16 instead, or I might order some more jets.
There are a lot of nitrous charts, they seem to use 45 and 55 psi for EFI plate kits but I run 39-40 psi fuel pressure.
I went back and looked at what you nitrous kit chart looked like that you posted here and compared it to the one I got with my kit.
Seems to be some differences between manufacturers.
Interesting. .in for results

Crap, I wonder what the effects of a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator on nitrous kits are?

Crap, I wonder what the effects of a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator on nitrous kits are?
You know i never thought of that..i run one also..i pull fuel from where the gauge whould be also .... and im base at 60 psi...hmmmm

Will say i have to run a larger jet for ethanol but have sprayed a ""75 shot"" on old motor without any problems though. .i wont release those jet numbers..current hasn't been sprayed on dyno and definitely wont release them publicly,you personally we could talk privately but currently dont have stats to share yet..lol

i wont release those jet numbers.. definitely wont release them publicly,you personally we could talk privately but currently dont have stats to share yet..lol

HEY! no secretes here!!!! he is already putting us v8 and STROKED forced inducted ones at that to shame!!!!

Yea, looking at all the different charts for jet selection has my head spinning.
Fuel pressure, type of fuel, size of horse power shot, and brand of kit all go into selecting the right size jets.
My first question I already found an answer to was can you mount the solenoids upside down. According to Nitrous Outlet the ones I have can be mounted any which way. I would assume that is true for the other manufactures too.

My next questions is can the lines from the solenoids to the spray plate be different lengths or should they be the same so fuel and nitrous get to the plate at the same time? Reason I was wondering is because I need about a 1 foot longer nitrous line due to desired location.

According to a post I found from Nitrous Outlet the lines should be equal length. I will have to find two 3 foot hoses or find another place to mount the nitrous solenoid.

According to a post I found from Nitrous Outlet the lines should be equal length. I will have to find two 3 foot hoses or find another place to mount the nitrous solenoid.
Interesting, I would think it would make no difference, the nitrous being a much different pressure and fluid type. You do want the nitrous lines to have as little volume as possible, to not leave much behind(temps, purging etc).

This one i knew,gota be same and shortest possible also

Bump, I didn't know where to post this information, but this is high boost related and maybe it's worth mentioning here.

Someone on the Corral has bought seven Australian 4.0 DOHC straight six Ford engines, the one in their Falcons. It's evidently a monster in turbo form, capable of surviving 35psi. This person has bought two for himself, and five to sell, he's in FL I think it was. They're NA though, the guy thinks he's going to just swap pistons and exhaust valves, to make them worthy of boost.

I thought that was interesting to see the couple of videos in this short thread, one at 952hp on a dyno, and the other a Fox Mustang on track supposedly does 8's;http://forums.corral.net/forums/mod...rs-usa-has-finally-happened.html#post18461050

I know nothing about those engines, but it would be cool to have some of those performance Ford things over here. I don't see that engine as feasible for an Explorer, who knows what transmission they take, and retrofitting an import engine would be much harder than anything from here.

reminds me of the 2JZ but ford style.

They sound great, but the length of a straight six couldn't go in an Explorer feasibly. It's a great idea for a Mustang or any car with a decent length engine bay.

A box arrived today.
I needed these to continue on with my Nitrous install.

Purge kit, blow down tube, and Walbro 250 LPH fuel pump.

IMG_2290.JPG

Are you EVER going to let us v8 guys catch up???? Once?????

:D

I am so busy with 10 million other things, that you have at least until the end of the year. LOL.

Nitrous bottles have manufacturer dates on them for a reason.
They are only certified for 5 years when brand new according to a video I watched on YouTube by Nitrous Outlet.
If you think about it, they do have to hold a whole lot of pressure.
I just checked the date on mine today and it is stamped 2016.
5 years after that the bottle has to be recertified or replaced.
Guess I am good until 2021 if the truck lasts that long. LOL.
I should get back to working on it or it will expire before I ever get to use it.

Today I finally got time, good weather, and energy to get some work done.
I swapped the old Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump with a Walbro 250 LPH.
The part number is GSS342BX.
This should keep my fuel supply where it needs to be to spray the wet 50 shot.

IMG_2439 - Copy.JPG IMG_2436.JPG

Back