• Register Today It's free!

Brake rust

Ayman20

Reaction score
City, State
Makkah, Saudi Arabia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer XLT AWD
I have my 2016 explorer since January 2016.living in Quebec with a lot of snow and salt. Corrosion and rust started on my rear brake brackets. What is the solution ?

I only have 36000 km

20180426_165917.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a picture of the rear brake on mine. On the road since October 31, 2016 and only 6700 kms. The way I look at it is that it's metal and it starts to rust likely before it even leaves the factory. The fronts are perfect.

Peter

Brake rust.JPG

Mine was the same as you guys, I pulled the wheels and started the painful process of rust cleaner and a wire wheel on a drill. Then I painted them black. It is brutal, I was looking at a friends older Tahoe, no rust....another friends 2016 Jeep GC no rust.

Here is a picture of the rear brake on mine. On the road since October 31, 2016 and only 6700 kms. The way I look at it is that it's metal and it starts to rust likely before it even leaves the factory. The fronts are perfect.

Peter

View attachment 158294

So I guess the rust is normal for me too.

Mine was the same as you guys, I pulled the wheels and started the painful process of rust cleaner and a wire wheel on a drill. Then I painted them black. It is brutal, I was looking at a friends older Tahoe, no rust....another friends 2016 Jeep GC no rust.

Can you provide us with photos after the painting ?

IMG_6932.JPG
IMG_6933.JPG
IMG_6934.JPG
IMG_6935.JPG

That was good work, you also cleaned up the suspension too.
thumb.gif

This is my 2016 Platinum with 22,500 miles, still fairly clean - not much weather to contend with here.

IMG_1621.jpg

^^ That's what my front ones look like but the rears are like the picture I posted above.

Peter

Wow you live an area with sunshine all the entire year?
Well, we do get some liquid sunshine (rain) every now and then, no snow or salt though. My brakes probably get the most water from my frequent car washes... LOL.
carwash.gif

Back