2nd Row Console

ExCrystal

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ex Limited 4WD
Hi guys,

I got my '15 Explorer Limited with 2nd row buckets, but no console.

I was looking at Ford's parts website and the console is around $350.

I actually like having no console in the 2nd row opposed to my original opinion because it's easier for 3rd row access and my dogs. However, I was wondering how difficult it would be to install the console myself?

Also, I remember looking at a thread somewhere that a piece of carpet would have to be removed to install it--not sure. There also seems to be a plastic hump/part between the two buckets that looks like where to which the console would attach. Does anyone else with 2nd row buckets w/o console have this? I can get a picture if needed.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed mine and it's not hard at all.

I got mine last May for $$314.54 shipped. It is even less now. It took 10 minutes to install and no carpet had to be removed. The 2 bolt holes are already there so all you do is poke a small hole in the carpet where they go. So small that ff you ever removed the console, you wouldn't even notice them. The console looks great and back seat passengers really appreciate it. I bought mine from this company and it shipped quickly.

http://www.group1autoparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=2nd row console

Awesome, guys. Thanks for letting me know!

I'll let you guys know what I decide.

Awesome, guys. Thanks for letting me know!

I'll let you guys know what I decide.

Make sure you order the correct one to match your interior as there are a few different version depending on stitching.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out!

Here's what I found: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2015&make=Ford&model=Explorer

Part Number: DB5Z-78045A36-AD

Funny story---when purchasing my vehicle, I asked my dealer if the console can be ordered from the factory. He told me it would cost over $1K LOL!

Previously, the entire console was not available to purchase from the dealer. If you wanted a new one you had to purchase all the parts separately and assemble it, which did cost over $1000. It's been available as a complete part for about a year or so now.

Has anyone that has 2nd row bucket seats with the optional console ever removed it? I'm curious to know what it looks like below it. I've found a model that i want but i do not want the console there. I can easily remove it but am not sure what's below.

Thanks in advance!

I did the opposite... mine came without the console and I installed it. In my case, the entire area between the seats was carpeted.

I did the opposite... mine came without the console and I installed it. In my case, the entire area between the seats was carpeted.
So safe to say that if i removed it, i would have a portion of carpet missing? How about brackets? Would there be some brackets to remove as well? I imagine so.

There is a cover that goes over the brackets that just bolts in the same place. The only problem I could see is where the front of it bolts to the floor, there may be holes in the carpet there. Is there a reason you are pulling it? I installed one because the rear seat don't have a place for people to put their arms on a long trips.

There is a cover that goes over the brackets that just bolts in the same place. The only problem I could see is where the front of it bolts to the floor, there may be holes in the carpet there. Is there a reason you are pulling it? I installed one because the rear seat don't have a place for people to put their arms on a long trips.
well, I don't own the car quite yet. haven't decided if I want the Explorer or a different SUV at this point. I would like the console removed so that my dog could lay there. I could put some towels down for him so the holes in the carpet won't bother me, really.

Thanks!

So safe to say that if i removed it, i would have a portion of carpet missing? How about brackets? Would there be some brackets to remove as well? I imagine so.
Here is the bracket cover that has been mentioned. This is a picture of it in my previous 2014 MKT but it is similar to what I have in my 2017 Platinum. I just didn't have a picture of it in my file.
I don't recall seeing a picture of the carpet after the console has been removed but a member did mention that a piece of carpet was missing.

Peter

P4050205_001.JPG

well, I don't own the car quite yet. haven't decided if I want the Explorer or a different SUV at this point. I would like the console removed so that my dog could lay there. I could put some towels down for him so the holes in the carpet won't bother me, really.

Thanks!

Heck if it just your dog I would not remove the console I would just put the seats down as well as the third row and give the dog a lot of room to move around. There is a ton of room back there with all the seats down. I have hauled lumber and floor tile back there with room left over, just not weight.

Heck if it just your dog I would not remove the console I would just put the seats down as well as the third row and give the dog a lot of room to move around. There is a ton of room back there with all the seats down. I have hauled lumber and floor tile back there with room left over, just not weight.

Agree with this. I put my German Shepherd back there and she has so much room. Very comfy back there for her. I even have room to still put other things back there like the stroller.

Agree with this. I put my German Shepherd back there and she has so much room. Very comfy back there for her. I even have room to still put other things back there like the stroller.

Yes, definitely. But this is for when i have my wife and three kids in the car at the same time with a stroller in the back, along with a diaper bag and my older boy's basketball bags.

Can someone please measure the distance between the two chairs for me?

Yes, definitely. But this is for when i have my wife and three kids in the car at the same time with a stroller in the back, along with a diaper bag and my older boy's basketball bags.

Can someone please measure the distance between the two chairs for me?

I did the research - if you remove the console, there is no carpet underneath. I thought about trying to cover it up with cloth floor mats (secured with Velcro), covering it with black towels, etc...but kept coming to 2 conclusions:

A) it would likely not look good at all
B) didn’t like the idea of boots in winter tracking salt and other junk to the area

You’re right in that there are hardly any used late model Explorers out there with the 2nd row without console. They pop up from time to time but when they did I couldn’t find one with the right option combo (ie I’d find one but it had suede inserts, or no sunroof, or was a Limited/Platinum and was too pricey, etc etc). Ended up doing a factory order to get it just the way I wanted.

I have a 2015 Sport with 2nd row bucket seats and have been wanting to get a 2nd row console and install it. If you get it and the console is black,,,,,,and u decide to removed/sell it please let me know. I would possibly buy it for the right price....thanks!!!!

I have a 2015 Sport with 2nd row bucket seats and have been wanting to get a 2nd row console and install it. If you get it and the console is black,,,,,,and u decide to removed/sell it please let me know. I would possibly buy it for the right price....thanks!!!!
Members that installed a console after the fact ordered the one for the Sport which has the red stitching.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 2013 XLT with the buckets and the center console. I replaced that vehicle with a 2017 Platinum with the buckets but without the console. My plan was to purchase and have it installed. My boys who regularly sit in the second row like it much better without the console and have requested I save $400 and leave it open. Much easier time getting to the third row if necessary. And my 65lb lab has plenty of room in the back!

Back