• Register Today It's free!

Limited slip opinions

Mogiddy

Reaction score
City, State
Conway, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Sport Trac XLT V8
Hey everyone, I’m semi-new here. I was a previous member years back when I had a 90 Explorer. I recently bought a 2008 Explorer Sport Trac XLT V8. I did a search and found a little bit of info but not everything I needed.
I currently have an open differential. I plan to do some light off-roading, including possibly some beach driving. This is also my daily driver. Should I go with a locker (someone recommended the Spartan Locker) or should I just go with a limited slip? Any recommendations on brands also. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A locker would be overkill for you, and not street friendly. A good LS should do you fine. Look at Torsten or Trutrac. Don't bother with a factory style LS.

A locker would be overkill for you, and not street friendly. A good LS should do you fine. Look at Torsten or Trutrac. Don't bother with a factory style LS.
@Mogiddy @RangerX
The Torsen, or TruTrac, same type design, is not a strictly limited-slip design, but rather a constant in-mesh set of gearing allowing side to side wheel speed difference without clutches, no friction, no slipping, no problems associated with clutch-type LS differentials. "Lockers" like Detroit Locker mechanically lock and unlock, are noisy, ratchety, and a nuisance, but good for straight-line lock-up, like drag racing.

I would go with a Torsen given a choice, IMO. Always. imp

Ditto, but go with the True Trac. The Torsen used to be $450, now it's over $800 the last time I looked. I bought a True Trac last year for $465ish, minus a $50 rebate.

Flyer From Tru Track

Attachments

• Truetrac_handout_Lettersize100709.pdf
    467.1 KB · Views: 700

Save to desk top and open as .pdf?

Saved it, supposedly, then could not find it.

Ahh..

The wonders of modern technology or Wine???

We shall let the jury decide..

@shucker1
Saved it, supposedly, then could not find it.

Go to the top of your browser, there's an icon for downloads. Drop to the bottom that lets you open a window for them. You can scroll through the list quickly to find it, and then the right icon of that, opens the folder it's in.

@imp is 70+?

I'll bet he can't even find the power button...

Sorry @imp I couldn't resist.....

@imp

Did you get the file to open?

@imp

Did you get the file to open?
@shucker1 @CDW6212R "Go to the top of your browser, there's an icon for downloads."
No icon for downloads found. Saved img to Pictures. Wife has thousands of them in there, identified in too many ways to make sense, by date entered, no date at all, alphabetical, non-alphabetical, this liklely becomes a Combination of "n" things taken "n!" at a time, to find.....I'll look this evening again. imp

Sorry, I'm only familiar with Firefox. I have an icon that looks like a down arrow, and that gets me to all downloads, until deleted(I've done that accidentally).

Sorry, I'm only familiar with Firefox. I have an icon that looks like a down arrow, and that gets me to all downloads, until deleted(I've done that accidentally).
@CDW6212R
Hey, nothing to be sorry for! I appreciate (and need!) any and all help I can get. Originally, used I.E. exclusively, but it's gotten so H.S. we mostly use Chrome now. imp

Hey everyone, I’m semi-new here. I was a previous member years back when I had a 90 Explorer. I recently bought a 2008 Explorer Sport Trac XLT V8. I did a search and found a little bit of info but not everything I needed.
I currently have an open differential. I plan to do some light off-roading, including possibly some beach driving. This is also my daily driver. Should I go with a locker (someone recommended the Spartan Locker) or should I just go with a limited slip? Any recommendations on brands also. Thanks

Did you ever do the differential swap in the rear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someome over seas made an entire, detailed write up about this

Back