The Internal Water Pump ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Internal Water Pump ?

^ It's a good tool but cost prohibitive with every oil change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll spring the trap. Is a used oil analysis (UOA) cost prohibitive or cheap insurance? :dunno:

Here are some thoughts.

Assuming all the repair work is done by the dealer, it's well discussed that an engine replacement is about $7000, and a water pump replacement is $2000, a difference of $5000.

A single UOA from blackstone is $28 (unless you buy in bulk). Assuming two oil changes a year for the sake of math, that's $56/year extra per oil change for the analysis. This figure could likely be a little more or less depending your driving habits and if you follow the OLM or time/mileage for oil changes.

If my math is right, for a UOA investment not to pay back, it would take just over 86 years to spend $5000 on UOAs, suggesting it is more cost effective to have a UOA on each oil change to determine water pump failure.

For example, if it takes 10 years for a pump to fail and failure is determined by observing glycol in the oil, the total cost would be UOA investment and water pump replacment cost, 10*56+2000 = $2560 total cost, which is well under half the cost of replacing the engine. It would be up to the owner if this cost is worth it considering the vehicle depreciation after 10 years.

Once it starts leaking internally, you are very short on time before it blows. Unless you catch the timing perfectly, no way an oil analysis is going to save you.

So it sounds like by pure luck you could catch it early by observing coolant levels, weephole inspection, milky oil, glycol in a UOA...

Not much can be done until it's too late...:dunno:

I wonder if the pump design could be improved by insulating the bearing seal from the crankcase, similar to the old belt driven pumps, forcing only external leaks which would be easier to catch and less catastrophic? Seems this would be difficult given the pulley's location.

All in all, it seems an internal failure is relatively rare based on discussion.

Once it starts leaking internally, you are very short on time before it blows. Unless you catch the timing perfectly, no way an oil analysis is going to save you.

That's what I've gathered. Failure is quick and by the time you find out, damage is done.

So it sounds like by pure luck you could catch it early by observing coolant levels, weephole inspection, milky oil, glycol in a UOA...

Not much can be done until it's too late...:dunno:

I wonder if the pump design could be improved by insulating the bearing seal from the crankcase, similar to the old belt driven pumps, forcing only external leaks which would be easier to catch and less catastrophic? Seems this would be difficult given the pulley's location.

All in all, it seems an internal failure is relatively rare based on discussion.

Yes to your first line.
If you check oil dipstick often, you could probably catch the milky oil, but again, when you have milky oil, it could be too late already.

I'll spring the trap. Is a used oil analysis (UOA) cost prohibitive or cheap insurance? :dunno:

Here are some thoughts.

Assuming all the repair work is done by the dealer, it's well discussed that an engine replacement is about $7000, and a water pump replacement is $2000, a difference of $5000.

A single UOA from blackstone is $28 (unless you buy in bulk). Assuming two oil changes a year for the sake of math, that's $56/year extra per oil change for the analysis. This figure could likely be a little more or less depending your driving habits and if you follow the OLM or time/mileage for oil changes.

If my math is right, for a UOA investment not to pay back, it would take just over 86 years to spend $5000 on UOAs, suggesting it is more cost effective to have a UOA on each oil change to determine water pump failure.

For example, if it takes 10 years for a pump to fail and failure is determined by observing glycol in the oil, the total cost would be UOA investment and water pump replacment cost, 10*56+2000 = $2560 total cost, which is well under half the cost of replacing the engine. It would be up to the owner if this cost is worth it considering the vehicle depreciation after 10 years.
If one is really concerned, they would probably be better off putting that $2560 into an extended powertrain warranty. Then they'd be covered for the potential water pump failure, potential PTU failure, and other potential powertrain related issues that may occur.

For the UOA to be truly effective, you would need to do it more frequently than every oil change at some point. Perhaps every oil change until about 60-75K miles and then more frequently from there through the 100-125K mile mark until the water pump fails or is replaced before it fails. No guarantees though as it could let go while you are waiting on results from your last test.

If one is really concerned, they would probably be better off putting that $2560 into an extended powertrain warranty. Then they'd be covered for the potential water pump failure, potential PTU failure, and other potential powertrain related issues that may occur.

Don't disagree. I have Ford PremiumCARE on my '13, and I also had it on my Ranger. It pays for itself on the first major failure, e.g., PTU, water pump, etc. It paid for itself on my ranger as I had a water pump failure as well as some premature axle seal failures. Worth considering and renewing.

If your engine was destroyed after a water pump failure, would they really replace the engine through the warranty?

I figure Ford would blame you for not knowing the water pump failed and destroying the engine....denying the claim.

^ I don't think we've seen issues with that, honestly. The water pump is a lifetime part (heh), if it causes a chain reaction then the downstream components are covered in Ford ESP. There's actually a contract clause that covers this.

Now, if you don't change your oil period and it sludges up from neglect and destroys the engine, you bet that warranty won't pay off.

Back