2nd Row Console | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Row Console

I had a 2013 XLT with the buckets and the center console. I replaced that vehicle with a 2017 Platinum with the buckets but without the console. My plan was to purchase and have it installed. My boys who regularly sit in the second row like it much better without the console and have requested I save $400 and leave it open. Much easier time getting to the third row if necessary. And my 65lb lab has plenty of room in the back!

Out of curiosity, is there enough space for your lab to lay down between the two buckets?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 2013 XLT with the buckets and the center console. I replaced that vehicle with a 2017 Platinum with the buckets but without the console. My plan was to purchase and have it installed. My boys who regularly sit in the second row like it much better without the console and have requested I save $400 and leave it open. Much easier time getting to the third row if necessary. And my 65lb lab has plenty of room in the back!
The console is only a $150 option if you order it with the vehicle. Aftermarket price is ridiculous. BTW, your profile still shows a 2013 XLT.:)

Peter

The console is only a $150 option if you order it with the vehicle. Aftermarket price is ridiculous. BTW, your profile still shows a 2013 XLT.:)

Peter
You’re correct, except the $400 is what the dealer quoted for the console and install. And thanks, I’ll fix my profile!

Peter
Also the vehicle was already on the truck when I agreed to the deal. That was the only thing that wasn’t already installed that I would’ve liked.

Out of curiosity, is there enough space for your lab to lay down between the two buckets?
I honestly can’t answer that. She doesn’t go btwn the seats.

Is it as simple to remove as the mounting bolts? I am going for road trip soon and my Dog already put me on notice that he redeemed the miles to get the Business Class lie flat seating option on this flight. I need to remove the console, and place his bed on the floor between the seats. Same deal as my Expedition trip earlier this year but that did not have the center console so much easier. I have to honor his request he is a Executive Platinum traveler with Cannon Airlines.

From what I've read about installing it, it should be an easy removal. There will however be a mounting plate at the rear of the console. Here is what it looked like in my 2014 MKT with the cover over it. Don't be alarmed if you see a piece of carpeting missing.

Peter

P4050205_001.JPG

I think my dealer kept the cover plate after installation. Happily Inam proud to report that removal is that simple. Four bolts. Fold both 2nd row seats full forward. Mounting bolts are lower rear of console facing onboard (6mm). Left/right. Second set is mounted just about where the seat fold line is. Mounted to floor...(again 6 mm) remove four bolts slowly lift from rear grab forward and slide console to the folded cargo area seats. I lifted out of cargo area and set in house. I don’t have any electrical connections for lights so basic console removal and installation is as simple as the four bolts.

I think my dealer kept the cover plate after installation. Happily Inam proud to report that removal is that simple. Four bolts. Fold both 2nd row seats full forward. Mounting bolts are lower rear of console facing onboard (6mm). Left/right. Second set is mounted just about where the seat fold line is. Mounted to floor...(again 6 mm) remove four bolts slowly lift from rear grab forward and slide console to the folded cargo area seats. I lifted out of cargo area and set in house. I don’t have any electrical connections for lights so basic console removal and installation is as simple as the four bolts.

2017 Explorer Sport 2nd Row Center Console: GB5Z-78045A36-AB Sport Model w/ Red Stitches. Site states it covers 2015 – 2017 model years.

I purchased the vehicle off the lot with 2nd row bucket seats w/o the 2nd row console. I just found out there’s an option, so I purchased online. I’ll add a photo later but mine has full carpet with a black cap like the 2014 MKT example above. The installation instructions show that two small carpet cutouts are required in the front end where the console meets the carpet. Do I have to cut out the carpet or can I just install over top? I really do not want to modify if possible.

Welcome to the Forum Bob.:wave:
I merged two threads on the same topic

See post #3 about installing over the carpet. I believe you should be able to attempt that route first and then see how it goes before cutting away.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Bob.:wave:
I merged two threads on the same topic

See post #3 about installing over the carpet. I believe you should be able to attempt that route first and then see how it goes before cutting away.

Peter
Sorry I must have missed Post #3. I'll give it a try. Thanks Peter and the thread for the great info.

2017 Explorer Sport
2010 Mazda 3
2007 Edge SEL AWD
2000 Ranger XLT
1969 Mustang Mach I

Hello - new to the board, what a great resource! I have a 2019 Ford Explorer Platinum and trying to install the 2nd row console. I've called the local dealers, but none of them think that part DB5Z-78045A36-AA will fit on a 2019. Has anyone installed that part on a 2019 Ford Explorer Platinum?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The following site shows that it is for the Sport so the trim/stitching may be a little different. On earlier Sports, the seats had red stitching I believe. In any case, the site asks you to provide your VIN so they can verify that it fits. 2011-2015 Ford Explorer Console, Center 2nd Row DB5Z-78045A36-AA | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake You can see the link shows it is for the 2011 - 2015 Explorer. The 2016 Explorer underwent a "refresh" so there may be a difference.

Peter

Back