• Register Today It's free!

More speedometer trouble.

aerothusiast

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
93,96 Aerostar
on my 93 Aerostar, the speedometer pegs out past 90 as soon as I start rolling. It goes back to zero when stopped. The odometer seems to be working accurately.(the odometer does blink out when the dash area gets too hot losing the cruise and proper shifting when that happens if I run the air to cool things down it starts operating normally again) butback to the speedometer. I pulled the instrument cluster and didn't see any glaring problems. I sanded the copper contacts with some 2000 grit sandpaper and put it back together. No difference... what to look for? Thanks in advance 343,000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might have a bad speed sensor, speed sensor wiring, reluctor ring or PSOM module.
Thanks I was thinking of trying a speed sensor first, I changed onein one of my vans before(can't remember which one!)Is the psom behind the kick panel? Maybe the connection is bad..

Yes, it's behind the kick panel on the passenger's side near the inertia switch. Do you use the tilt wheel a lot? Check the wiring in the steering wheel for damaged insulation.
Hmmm... I had to change the shift tube a few months ago as it broke... I wonder... thanks!

I remember reading an article many years ago in Gears magazine about a lady who had an intermittent issue in her Econoline motorhome. The camper would drive perfectly on the highway with the cruise control until it suddenly started to drop out of cruise with the speedometer fluctuating, and the transmission erratically shifting. They replaced almost every part until they asked the lady what she did right before this would occur. She said that she would tilt the wheel. They opened the steering column cover, and found pinched wiring caught in the tilt mechanism. They repaired the wiring, and she didn't have anymore trouble.

I remember reading an article many years ago in Gears magazine about a lady who had an intermittent issue in her Econoline motorhome. The camper would drive perfectly on the highway with the cruise control until it suddenly started to drop out of cruise with the speedometer fluctuating, and the transmission erratically shifting. They replaced almost every part until they asked the lady what she did right before this would occur. She said that she would tilt the wheel. They opened the steering column cover, and found pinched wiring caught in the tilt mechanism. They repaired the wiring, and she didn't have anymore trouble.
Thanks I'll look into that for sure, maybe I messed something up while I was changing that shift tube...

Update :not the speed sensor and by the way the speedometer jumps up even in reverse!

Update: discouraging progress. I'll shorten the story. Replaced speed sensor no difference. I replaced the circuit board on the back of speedometer with one from a parts van. Speedometer works but fluctuates badly after about 60mph...

So you can still get a shift tube new for these? One broke on my Eddie once. I've been worried about my 94 Aerostar shift tube. Where did you get the shift tube? Thanks. don-ohio

So you can still get a shift tube new for these? One broke on my Eddie once. I've been worried about my 94 Aerostar shift tube. Where did you get the shift tube? Thanks. don-ohio

No idea whether they are available new or not, but any wrecking yard with Fords should have them in stock. Wrecking yards around here charge $100 to replace the broken ones or they will charge $50 for a good used tube for you to install.

I have broken 3 of them, so now keep a couple of spares available in case I break another one. Takes under an hour to R&R one using hand tools. Last one I changed I did in one hour counting the time I drove to a U-pull it, counting the time for me to remove a good one from a donor van, and counting the time to R&R the one in my van all the while using hand wrenches.

Many Ford vehicles made during the Aerostar years used the same tubes, so they are still readily available. There are many different varieties of them, but the only important thing to remember is that you need a tube with an arm for your position indicator cable. Later tubes (late F4 casting numbers and later) are stronger than earlier tubes (early F4 casting numbers and earlier).

Back