Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics

I got the OEM Ford splash guards. I just installed them, so I don't need the instructions. Wasn't too bad and they fit pretty good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the OEM Ford splash guards. I just installed them, so I don't need the instructions. Wasn't too bad and they fit pretty good.
Glad it worked out!

Another vote for Weathertech, they look great and were very easy to install!

Can you post close up pics of the weathertech's on your Explorer please?

I went with Weather Tech no drill mounts. They took me all of 30 minutes to put on and they look factory.

Got pics you can post of the weathertech's installed?

As soon as it stops raining, I'll post mine.... :)

As soon as it stops raining, I'll post mine.... :)

Thanks, with all the issues people seem to be having with the OEM Ford Spash gaurd installs and gaps, I went with the Weathertech's myself. Just ordered them as I already have a few other items from them install in/on the truck. Would love to still see the photo's however when the weather is a bit better. Thanks.

Mine fit good. I got them off ebay. Rear ones had Ford logo on them, fronts didn't. They didn't come with instructions, and they came with different screws. They were coarse thread with a sharp point on the ends. Fronts I didn't drill as they tapped themselves into the plastic whith a screwdriver. Rears I drilled a small pilot hole. They tightened up real well. Other holes used existing hardware.

Mine fit good. I got them off ebay. Rear ones had Ford logo on them, fronts didn't. They didn't come with instructions, and they came with different screws. They were coarse thread with a sharp point on the ends. Fronts I didn't drill as they tapped themselves into the plastic whith a screwdriver. Rears I drilled a small pilot hole. They tightened up real well. Other holes used existing hardware.
Keep in mind that the 5th gen Explorer may not be quite the same as an '02 Mountaineer.

Peter

Yes, I used the 1/4" diameter drill-bit. You need to drill through the sheet-metal at the lower plastic ear location in order to fit the reusable fastener into the hole. Both reusable fasteners work fine at top and bottom. I should have shot a little clear caulk into the drilled out hole in order to seal off the area before inserting the fastener into the lower hole.

Hey stillmarried, thanks for this. Came here with this exact question on my '16 Sport since the install guide isn't really clear. Didn't expect to have to drill body colored metal but here we are. I will take the caulk idea from you.

Much appreciated!

Thanks, with all the issues people seem to be having with the OEM Ford Spash gaurd installs and gaps, I went with the Weathertech's myself. Just ordered them as I already have a few other items from them install in/on the truck. Would love to still see the photo's however when the weather is a bit better. Thanks.
Sorry it took so long but here are the pics of front and back. These are the Weathertech. The first two pics are the front, the rest the rear. Took me 45 mins for all 4 wheels. Very simple and fit pretty close to perfect. The front has a plastic piece at the top that actually fits into the hole left from removing the plastic nuts that hold the fender guard in place. The other two screws fit exactly in the holes left after removing the plastic buttons (for lack of a better word). The same with the back only you just screw in the nuts with no large plastic or metal piece like the front. You can see how closely they fit the body. Not perfect but still good. I apologize for the dirt. Still lots of rain these days.

20180731_141635.jpg

20180731_141653.jpg

20180731_141545.jpg

20180731_141551.jpg

20180731_141609.jpg

Keep in mind that the 5th gen Explorer may not be quite the same as an '02 Mountaineer.

Peter
Sorry, haven't updated my stats, It's on a 2016 Explorer.

Folks

I am stuck. I need to install the mud flaps on my 2016 Ford Explorer XLT. However I don't how to remove the little plastic pins that's already there. They have a larger plastic with a phillips screw head in the middle. These screws just rotate and don't do anything. See pictures.
IMG_20181201_155600.jpg
IMG_20181201_155607.jpg

Anyone knows how to remove these clips or screws?

AJ

Welcome to the Forum Ajay.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. I believe they are just a push pin with a screw but perhaps the answer is in this thread as well.

Peter

You might need to get a small screwdriver to insert into the crack just to the side of where the phillips head fits. Then just turn the phillips head counter clockwise while prying gently and that piece should pop out a little. Then just pull the whole part out.

Here is what it looks like when you get it out

s-l1000.jpg

I have this feeling that all the threads and posts are total BS

You might need to get a small screwdriver to insert into the crack just to the side of where the phillips head fits. Then just turn the phillips head counter clockwise while prying gently and that piece should pop out a little. Then just pull the whole part out.

Here is what it looks like when you get it out

Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I am all set.

Welcome to the Forum Ajay.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. I believe they are just a push pin with a screw but perhaps the answer is in this thread as well.

Peter
Thanks.

I have this feeling that all the threads and posts are total BS
Which begs the question, Why are you here then seeking info?

Peter

Well I was interested in explorers and wanted to read about them but haven't gotten any information that is useful. I can't talk in some fancy code and I'm not going to try to. so I have already left one website due to this but i came here first so I'm not going anywhere

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I was interested in explorers and wanted to read about them but haven't gotten any information that is useful. I can't talk in some fancy code and I'm not going to try to. so I have already left one website due to this but i came here first so I'm not going anywhere
That's fine, but posts like #115 aren't going to win you many friends here. Members here try to help others where and when they can with whatever knowledge they may have.

Peter

Back