1998 4 door Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 4 door Explorer

We be drivin, too much. That's a big number, well done, pat that dash and say thank you. If I added all my cars up, I'd have a worthy number, but we're older, it's no big deal after 500k etc.

I would like to get my Ranchero running, and make it roll over 100k for the first time. It's at about 71k now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today my power steering cooler blew out as I arrived at work.
I didn't even know it until a coworker said my truck was smoking in the parking lot.
My first thought was oh no the trans went again. lol.
When I looked under it I thought it was the front main crankshaft seal.
I was very happy to see it was just the power steering cooler.
It is now bypassed with a piece of 3/8 fuel line that is flared on each end and bent into a sort of U-shape.

View attachment 97236 View attachment 97237

4pointslow, I just replaced the p/s cooler in my 2000 Ranger. My cooler started leaking in the same spot you described, at the bend. I purchased a aftermarket cooler from Advance Auto Parts made by Imperial pt # - 241009. It is almost the exact same size as the factory cooler except the inlet & outlet tubes are shorter & you have to fab up a new mounting bracket since the old mounting brackets are part of the factory cooler. Here is a pic for comparison of the stock & aftermarket p/s coolers.
57857-old-new-p-s-coolers.jpg

Here is the mounting bracket I made.
57858-fabbed-mounting-bracket.jpg

Here is the new p/s cooler mounted.
57859-new-p-s-cooler-mounted.jpg

hahaha, I forgot about this power steering cooler.
I am still running this piece of fuel line I cut from a 7.3L engine at work.

I am currently saving for another vehicle, without rust. lol.
How much was that cooler, I may have to replace it this summer if I don't find another truck to replace this one with.

I really want another 1998-2001 explorer 4.0 sohc, automatic, without rust.
I may even go for a Ford Escape without rust, 4wd a must.
Or a ranger, must have 4.0 sohc, automatic and NO RUST!
lol, I hate rust and I should move to Arizona.
I need an automotive broker to find me one of these. lol.

I could find you a nice rust free vehicle for cheap. But I couldn't, in good conscience, find you one with a 4.0L SOHC engine.

I still believe in a little thing called...

3fWDV7N.gif

:D

LOL hahaha
That's awesome!

I am not afraid of the 4.0 SOHC, I got 290,000 on my stock 4 door and it is still running great.
Of course I have three vehicles in case two break down. lol

hahaha, I forgot about this power steering cooler.
I am still running this piece of fuel line I cut from a 7.3L engine at work.

I am currently saving for another vehicle, without rust. lol.
How much was that cooler, I may have to replace it this summer if I don't find another truck to replace this one with.

I really want another 1998-2001 explorer 4.0 sohc, automatic, without rust.
I may even go for a Ford Escape without rust, 4wd a must.
Or a ranger, must have 4.0 sohc, automatic and NO RUST!
lol, I hate rust and I should move to Arizona.

The p/s cooler from Advance Auto Parts was $20.09.
Imperial Power Steering Oil Cooler 241009: Advance Auto Parts

I am still searching for a replacement for this 1998 4 door explorer. It is well over 290,000 and getting closer to 300,000.
Everyday I am still driving this thing to work and back trying to hit 300,000 before it goes completely. I have a 42 mile ride to work too.
The rust is getting the better of it and I am losing some kind of oil, don't know which oil it is yet and nothing seems to be low.
The engine oil seems to be right at the full line even after 3,000 miles when I go to do my oil change.

The transmission never seems to read the same thing twice but has never shown up low.
The power steering is still full too.
Maybe the trans is leaking and it used to be overfilled? I will keep an eye on the level.

In any case I want to replace this vehicle before next winter. This truck owes me nothing now.
I would really like another 1998-2001 explorer 4 door with 4.0 sohc, no sun roof, 15 inch wheels, no flares, and no rust.
I would and will however settle for no rust and maybe change my mind on some other things.
If anyone comes across anything without rust that might be close to where I live and close what I am looking for please let me know.

I have looked at multiple Explorers only to find rust on the rockers and even one had a truck floor pan rusted away and flapping around.
How much would it cost to have a rust free explorer shipped from California or Texas to NJ?
Maybe that would be an option.

Hunt one from this level here, the Carolinas and Georgia, TN also, below KY basically. I know you like those SOHC's, but used they are a more often than not bad choice. The 302/4R70W is way more likely to be usable for a long time yet, even with 200k on one.

How does one hunt for a vehicle so far away? I can use craigslist and eBay but I want to see rocker panels etc with no rust on them.
If I could buy one that far away, do I go see it in person? Or do I get it shipped to me?
I have no idea how to go about it.
No flying either, I hate planes.

as far as the engine goes
I do not want a 302
I want the 4.0 sohc

Everyone says the 4.0 sohc is bad,
Well I have 292,000 plus miles on my 1998 and I never even had to replace the timing chain guides on it. Not even a head gasket.
And it is still running great, the truck is just rusting to pieces.
And then there is the 4.0 sohc in my race truck that has defied all logic and stood up to 20 psi of boost and much abuse.
And I only know of one 302 explorer that is faster than my 4.0 SOHC.
The 4.0 SOHC in my 2004 had a bad chain guide but I have the tools and training to replace them, so I replaced all the guides on that truck.

A buddy of mine had a 1998 mountaineer, it had a 302 in it.
At 200,000 miles it was burning oil so bad that the plugs had crusty boogers bridging the spark plug electrodes together.
When I drove it the truck felt heavy and slow to accelerate and maneuver compared to my 4.0 sohc. (the extra weight of the 302 engine?)

Anyway, my experience with the 4.0 sohc has been good, and I would just like to replace the truck I have now with one exactly like it, but with no rust.

What's your price range? i still come across rust free four doors , i have one here but its an ohv 4.0

2,000 to 3,000
you would think that would be easy to find one in that range.

I went to look at vehicles that people said no rust, and when I got underneath I found holes!
I got to move out of the rust belt.

You can find the truck you want, but as mentioned seeing it is tough from a distance. I searched here and still had to drive 170 miles to go confirm my 98 was rust free. There are pockets of cities around here that have salting(my area for one), and those I'd avoid buying from if you cannot see it first. The smaller towns like where my 98 came from in NC had no salting, so Winters aren't the issue, it's the salting of the roads, and the cars driven in that regularly.

That is how some vehicles survive well up north, living in smaller towns where they don't spray the roads every time there's a threat of snow. Some places just don't spray the roads.

I think the best bet would be to connect with members here or friends you can have look at a truck, in areas close enough to drive for you, but south enough to likely not have salting and rust.

My 98 Limited was $2000, I over paid because it was the exact model I wanted, with no rust. It had various poor care issues, if I was a normal buyer I'd not pay $1500 for this one.

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited
Check out the hot thread here now about a new member's 98 Limited, he got for free. It's just like mine, same black/grey/302, I don't recall if he mentioned mileage. My point is the price range is easily under $1500, and can run $4000+ too.

Finding the right features version you want, and seeing it to confirm no rust, that's your hurdle.

That makes a lot of sense about small towns that might not be spraying.
My poor truck gets driven from one state to another, down routes and turnpikes where they spray salt and something I have heard referred to as brime which was supposed to be worse.
I would spend up to 3,000 for a rust free 4 door with no sun roof, no wheel flares, 15 inch wheels, and 4.0 sohc. If it was blue that would even be better!
In fact the only thing I don't like about my old truck was not having heated mirrors.

I don't even care about the engine and transmission because I can replace them.

You got a good deal on your 4 door, I look forward to seeing the plans you have for it unfold.

I am also looking at Rangers and Escapes right now, same thing though no rust.
I sent an email and am waiting for a response to go see a 2001 Ranger, add was placed a month ago so probably wont even hear back from them.

just read through, gives me hope for mine (even though it's an ohv engine...) picked it up last winter with 219k miles on it, and only rust on it is where the cheap white paint all the manufacturers painted with is peeling off.... paid $200 for it from a friend, and had to replace the halo key sensor and re-flash the theft system.
IMG_20171217_104307948_zpshlrjbq3k.jpg

down here these things are relatively rust free, and cheap... this one has been listed for around a month, think everyone is scared of 200k+ vehicles...
2000 Ford explorer xlt 4x4 today only

That makes a lot of sense about small towns that might not be spraying.
My poor truck gets driven from one state to another, down routes and turnpikes where they spray salt and something I have heard referred to as brime which was supposed to be worse.
I would spend up to 3,000 for a rust free 4 door with no sun roof, no wheel flares, 15 inch wheels, and 4.0 sohc. If it was blue that would even be better!
In fact the only thing I don't like about my old truck was not having heated mirrors.

I don't even care about the engine and transmission because I can replace them.

You got a good deal on your 4 door, I look forward to seeing the plans you have for it unfold.

I am also looking at Rangers and Escapes right now, same thing though no rust.
I sent an email and am waiting for a response to go see a 2001 Ranger, add was placed a month ago so probably wont even hear back from them.

FYI, the big fender flares began in 1999, my 99 Limited has those. The 95-98's had a rare optional flare set, similar but rounded more. You really don't want either of those, there are a ton of holes in the body behind them. I had to drill those holes into the 93 body I used to rebuild my 99, and use the flares. That's why I wanted a 98 Limited, all options, but no fender flares.

Don't get a 97, the 5R55E is kind of unique in that, different combination of sensors that make swapping impossible(have to use the 97 trans).

John, how about the 98-01 Mountaineers, those typically have most options, never flares ever, and the blue looks great with the rare painted grille(2000/01).

Mountaineer cowl hood.jpg

For heated mirrors, you want any 95-01 Limited OEM mirrors, the aftermarket brands aren't quite as good. They just need the one extra wire going to the defrost circuit, run into the dash.

My 98 Limited was $2000, I over paid because it was the exact model I wanted, with no rust. It had various poor care issues, if I was a normal buyer I'd not pay $1500 for this one.

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited
Check out the hot thread here now about a new member's 98 Limited, he got for free. It's just like mine, same black/grey/302, I don't recall if he mentioned mileage. My point is the price range is easily under $1500, and can run $4000+ too.

Finding the right features version you want, and seeing it to confirm no rust, that's your hurdle.

Mileage is 156,130

Free! You cant beat that! Nice work being done on that explorer too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don, I like the Mountaineers too!
That blue one is awesome, love the cowl induction hood from Explorer express.
I don't know if I mentioned it but I also need 4wd due to the conditions I have to drive in.

Back