How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

479,000, and still running strong!
That's amazing. You must live outside of the snow belt. Rust kills them before they can get to that mileage unless one is vigilant with corrosion protection.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct. Colorado in the Winter, Florida for the rest of the yesr. Absent the rust belt issue, These beasts last as long as you keep current with maintenance and repairs and remain interested. Mine was a gift from Dad and Brother in 1997, so it is a hobby and personal challenge.

Stay safe and have fun!

I am not the original owner, but I have done extensive work on mine, and I agree, I intend to keep it for the duration.

Maybe the angle biggest threat to these vehicles would be expensive fuel. If gasoline cost Increase to much over four dollars per gallon, and stay there, I would have to reconsider the value of this vehicle.

Correct. Colorado in the Winter, Florida for the rest of the yesr. Absent the rust belt issue, These beasts last as long as you keep current with maintenance and repairs and remain interested. Mine was a gift from Dad and Brother in 1997, so it is a hobby and personal challenge.

Stay safe and have fun!
No salt in snowy CO?

The snow is drier, which is better for skiing. Without as much moisture content, there is less ice. The Department of Transportation does put down some de-icer, but I think it contains far less salt.

I do get a little rust... horns, rocker panel, leaf spring shackles, charcoal canister enclosure, shock absorber perches, rear bumper, etc., but it seems to be limited to only these units, and I mostly just replace these items with salvage parts.

Have a great day!

1998 Ford Explorer Limited - 156,107 miles
Aesthetically, it was rough, but I'm cleaning it up. The motor seems to run smooth. I crawled under it looking for something the other day and was shocked to not see any leaking fluid of any kind! (Knock on wood!)

What do you do to guard against rust in Albany, NY?
Fluid film and used trans fluid. Pretty brutal here. Cars can show rust after 2-3 seasons.

1997 - V8 5.0 - 165000
1997 - V6 4.0 - 215000

Both are pretty clean since I have had them. Upgraded interior for cleaner pieces. V8 engine getting TC/WP swaps, new gaskets, etc... and BW4406 addition.

My sport is stock.

113,060 on my '98 XLT 4.0 SOHC

250,000 miles + on our 2000 Mountaineer 5.0L RWD and going strong.

My 5.0 has 207,000 uses no oil and run great. Replaced exhaust manifolds couple years ago. The transfer case needs a new chain, single speed AWD . I will be looking for an good how to on this one. I have seen how to's on two speed cases, but not this case. everything else is oringnal, cept plugs, wires and oil and filter and radiator. Lil Joe

There should be a how-to rebuilding bw4404 thread in the transmission and transfer case section, iirc.
How To: Rebuilding a Borg Warner 4404

I'm only up to like 228k.
Only living 4 miles from work, I don't have to drive much anymore.

Just turn 130,000 miles on my 1997 4x4 SPort (controltrac) 4.0l OHV. It looks like the rear main oil seal is leak a little but not enough to bring the level down on the dip stick. Getting ready to install new plug wires and spark plugs when they arrive. And it also looks like the front pump seal in the transmission is leaking a little too.

2000 Mountaineer v8 4x4

003.JPG

98 V8 AWD. Only major parts replaced are ball joints, water pump, passenger exhaust manifold and rebuilt front driveshaft.

image.jpg

@Turdle I wiped mine off after taking the first pic LOL. Give me a few more 8 hour trips and we’ll compare again. I’ve currently got no dash beneath, and some scary wiring......

38EC1317-CEA7-4145-AB32-9979F1005B99.jpeg

97 XLT 4WD V6 4.0L OHV Automatic, only thing changed on it is the fuel pump

mmpdCD6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back