What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 79 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Well my wife hates the idea of the big (24”) wheels painted purple because she says shes not a 16 year old kid.

I’m hoping to have the tires mounted up next weekend as long as everything shows up by then. The wheels are currently black so I’ll upload photos of them before they are painted.
Are body’s may get older and we have more responsibilities (wife, kids house,etc.). But inside it’s good to keep some young interests even a 16 year olds interest in cars. After all a lot of us got it from our fathers. Looking forward to the pics! Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my Garmin dash cam setup. In my previous car I had it centered on the windshield but with the camera on the explorer, it stretches too far down on the window and blocks the camera. I ended up running it to the left side and it actually is better than expected. Don't see any wires and the camera isn't terribly noticeable or "in your face".

Got my Garmin dash cam setup. In my previous car I had it centered on the windshield but with the camera on the explorer, it stretches too far down on the window and blocks the camera. I ended up running it to the left side and it actually is better than expected. Don't see any wires and the camera isn't terribly noticeable or "in your face".

Photos?

I was fooling around with iMovie so I put this together for my YouTube channel.
I hope you enjoy and please don't forget to "like" it (only if you do).

Johnnoriega: I gotta admit at first glance I wasn't a fan of the red wheels but watching the video, especially at the angle around 0:34 (and the following walk around), they look great. I think it is the exact side view shot that mislead me into my original impression.

14Explorer548: I think the purple would be great and your wife would love it in the end.

I pealed off my failed plastidip attempt and and repainted the my chrome trunk strip.
Much better this time. Don't mind my dusty finger prints.
BBZTvfdh.jpg

You can a slight bit of wire where it's plugged in but otherwise that's it.

20ijuo0.jpg
Nice job!

Here’s my set up with the radar detector. On the right side I have a Cobra85HD dash cam (front and rear).

Both installed for me for $85.
A8FE998C-833D-47EA-8115-E59BB061AE73.jpeg

You can see both in through the windshield.
CE353C5F-DDFE-4AAC-802F-C5B18E6B4B3B.jpeg

.......14Explorer548: I think the purple would be great and your wife would love it in the end.

That’s what I’m hoping for. All my tires should be here by Thursday. However, my TPMS sensors are showing Monday. So it might be another week before they are mounted.

Painted two out of four calipers in glossy black. I was debating between matte & glossy, but figured if I don't like it I can always paint them over. There's far too many red calipers where I live so I didn't want to go that route. Maybe I'll accent paint something later. I also spray painted the center hub matte black with high-temp paint as it rusts incredibly fast (after steel brushing them and cleaning them properly). I didn't want to touch the inner hub so I left it as is. It's not visible anyway. Two more to go. It's a slow process...

nPPTBMg.jpg

Painted two out of four calipers in glossy black. I was debating between matte & glossy, but figured if I don't like it I can always paint them over. There's far too many red calipers where I live so I didn't want to go that route. Maybe I'll accent paint something later. I also spray painted the center hub matte black with high-temp paint as it rusts incredibly fast (after steel brushing them and cleaning them properly). I didn't want to touch the inner hub so I left it as is. It's not visible anyway. Two more to go. It's a slow process...

I'm thinking of doing mine black as well. I liked the red on my white Explorer with black rims, but on this one, I'm going entirely black or grey. The chrome delete is in progress; after Monday, all that will be left is the grill strips, and the chrome in the headlights (I'm not opening them and I'm not spending the money to replace them) though I'm leaving the Ford logos as is. That will leave me with getting the rims powder coated, which is going to run me about $800 by the time I rent a car for the 4 days it takes to get them done. I'm thinking about waiting until I need tires and just doing it all at once, so I don't have to worry about the tire shop screwing up the powder coating.

I'm thinking of doing mine black as well. I liked the red on my white Explorer with black rims, but on this one, I'm going entirely black or grey. The chrome delete is in progress; after Monday, all that will be left is the grill strips, and the chrome in the headlights (I'm not opening them and I'm not spending the money to replace them) though I'm leaving the Ford logos as is. That will leave me with getting the rims powder coated, which is going to run me about $800 by the time I rent a car for the 4 days it takes to get them done. I'm thinking about waiting until I need tires and just doing it all at once, so I don't have to worry about the tire shop screwing up the powder coating.

I have no idea on quality, but these headlights are black on the inside, and cost very little (compared to Ford originals). That seller has lots of versions of these.. tempting.

Well, my front door and third row OEM speakers have been replaced with Infinity Primus component woofer/tweeter in the front and Infinity Reference two way in the rear. The back doors will get done next week, when the correct speakers arrive; I somehow managed to order two front door sets instead. Those will also be Infinity Primus, but two way. Even with just the front, the difference was noticeable.

Finally got around to installing the security LED. It's a silly little thing and I've honestly no idea where the factory puts it, but I felt like this was the best spot (easiest) where I'm the least likely to have to remove it when I play around with wires.

DKNIMyv.jpg

Do the smoked headlights reduce brightness, or how far they throw light?
I'm sure the member will answer you on that but I would think putting any kind of tint, no matter how light, would reduce the amount of light and brightness of a clear lens. I'd be more concerned about the rear ones.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the smoked headlights reduce brightness, or how far they throw light?

My headlights are not smoked. I pulled the clear lenses and painted the chrome inside. I did smoke the orange turn signal covers and reinstalled them. So to answer your question, no it does not seem to affect the brightness.

Back