1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

Hello Explorer Fans.

I have been on the forums for some time and have extensively read many threads. I have enjoyed the forums so far. Now I have a question of opinion for you all.

I currently own 97' V6 SOHC Sport and I love it. I was going to SAS it, but Id rather do it to a V8 Explorer, plus, manual TC's are readily available for the swap.

To get to the point, I'm looking at a 97' 5.0 AWD Explorer (166,000 miles) (for a few hundred bucks). It's a solid vehicle, straight but its flashing a few codes. I looked up the codes here on the forums and it appears to be a "simple" fix. It idles well, but has an obvious 'lumpiness' to it. When you accelerate under load, you can sort of hear and feel it. The codes I got were P1132 - Lack of Oxygen Sensor indicates Rich and P1131 - Lack of Heater Oxygen Sensor indicates Lean. Both appear to be O2 sensor issues which may not be that big a deal. The trans seems to shift well with no obvious issues.

I'm very mechanical in nature (I work on my own cars/trucks) and fabrication of all I want to do...is what I do.

I just wanted a few opinions on the success of fixing this issue and any potential things I should look for before i pull the trigger and pick this thing up.

Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@WormsExplorer - Here are a couple photos of the lower part of the radiator. Keep in mind, the condenser is not fully mounted to radiator (note red tywrap); maybe hanging 1" lower than normal.

index.php

index.php

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

index.php

You should not need to modify, try a new transmission mount.

Also, that big space in front of the ac condensor is where you want to mount the f250, f350 trans cooler. Air flow is so much greater there, the stock fan will suck cigarette ashes thru at idle.

index.php

Thanks Jon. (@Turdle )

You dont think the cross-member will need to be modified to allow clearance of the new angle of the DS to the front straight axle (SAS) pinion? I have been reading through front DS threads, lots of info on whether to use a DC or SC slip type DS....still trying to find the best solution.

What type of trans mount are you thinking?

Thanks for showing the trans cooler addition - I was thinking of adding a 2nd stock cooler with a trans oil thermostat in between - Project revision V1.1 Are you using the stock plastic air deflector under the coolers?

Disregard the crossmember statement, I forgot about the sas part.

Adding a second cooler will work, but it creates 2 times the connections and hoses to deal with, I ran that on the Turdle, however I have better results with the single cooler and it's location. I don't think the additional fans I installed are even going to be necessary, that is how good that location is. Considering the larger one ton cooler can be found for about the same price as a second stock one---

I ditched the lower baffle a long time ago, it just gets in the way. My larger trans cooler, and fans, tuck in behind the bumper and skidplate, hard to see but they are there

004-jpg.jpg

Oh, since my radiator was new, and I bypassed the trans cooler lines to the aux cooler directly, I can use the transmission heat exchanger portion of the radiator for this, post 4
Diy on board heated shower

@Turdle - I did read that in this thread for the heated shower idea - Installing a new all aluminum two core radiator - and was my next thread to find. Thanks for the link :). Im sure Ill read it, how are the temps after the swap for trans? Are you using the ScanGuage II for readings?

There is sooo much good information to follow and I was was looking at ideas for the transmission.

Feedback is priceless - thanks for taking the time and posting pictures.

Also, that big space in front of the ac condensor is where you want to mount the f250, f350 trans cooler. Air flow is so much greater there, the stock fan will suck cigarette ashes thru at idle.

001-jpg.jpg

Turdle, what models of F25/F350 should have those long coolers? That will fit better than the two versions I found, which are taller and narrower, more like the radiator but smaller.

@Turdle - I did read that in this thread for the heated shower idea - Installing a new all aluminum two core radiator - and was my next thread to find. Thanks for the link :). Im sure Ill read it, how are the temps after the swap for trans? Are you using the ScanGuage II for readings?

There is sooo much good information to follow and I was was looking at ideas for the transmission.

Feedback is priceless - thanks for taking the time and posting pictures.

Just did a 300 mile round trip where AC was needed along with 75mph speeds, trans maxed out at 148 degrees, never even switched on the fans. Yes, the Scanguage is a very good thing to have.

Turdle, what models of F25/F350 should have those long coolers? That will fit better than the two versions I found, which are taller and narrower, more like the radiator but smaller.

I am going to guess 97-03 year range, but to be honest @traveler will need to answer this. I got mine from him. It's his "Mod" for proper idea credit.

We'll call it the "Traveler Mod" from now on if it's ok.

148 isn’t shabby at all......

I am going to guess 97-03 year range, but to be honest @traveler will need to answer this. I got mine from him. It's his "Mod" for proper idea credit.

We'll call it the "Traveler Mod" from now on if it's ok.

Aww... Shucks, wasn't nothing but a poor country boy trying to avoid spending 100 bucks on a new Transmission cooler! lol

And yes, I think you are right, both of them came from 2000 - 2004(ish) F350s, maybe newer. Mine came from a V10 model, and I believe yours came from a Powerstroke. Year and model doesn't really matter. Doesn't even need to be an F-series. I used a cooler out of an E-250 in my Tbird. A transmission cooler is a transmission cooler. Just find one that is big enough to get the job done, and small enough to fit, then yank it out of the junked vehicle. Before installation be sure to clean it and flush it thoroughly, and pressure test it for leaks. I used air to test it.

No turning back now....Started SOA this weekend. I put my 'new' tires on the back to get a judge on height...I'm started to get excited; I'm loving the height. This is her sitting level with suspension in back. I figured a good starting point to get the front setup.

Pulled front wheels to start teardown of front suspension

index.php

Front suspension came off pretty easy. No frozen/rusted bolts. Only 2 bolts at the lower mounts on the shocks broke,. Axles came out pretty easy. Upper control arm joints were SHOT! I don't think they were ever changed. Brake pads were almost gone. Lots of good parts.

index.php

All suspension is removed. Next Ill pull the front diff and rack and pinion, then the cross member and brackets. Driver side was a pain to remove the upper control arm. The fuel and brake lines were in the way of pulling bolts out all the way. If your in need of any stock parts, let me know.

index.php

Looking a little naked there in the front LOL.

Looks good so far. Look forward to seeing it all together.

Plasma cut the old brackets off and ground them down and cleaned up the frame. The dirtiest part so far. :eek:. I had to get a visual for the sake of smiles. Getting it cleaned up around the drivers side was super sketchy with all the fuel lines and filters.

I got the wheelbase measurements down and started mock up. It's starting to get real...Exciting!

I am thinking of bumping the wheel base out another 2". From previous threads read, I'm seeing it may be necessary for the pitman arm clearance and steering box addition...or just because :) . We shall see.

This has been fun so far, getting my sons to help here and there. It's great to explain to them the mechanics and engineering aspects of the build.

My son picked up his first car, a 98' Cherokee on 31's late last year and has been gawking about how his is better because its a jeep... I cant wait to get done and hit the trails...and the day Ill be pulling him out. He cant believe the height difference already...he's buying more mods to keep up. :p

index.php

Front axle view

index.php

My sons Cherokee and my 2nd Gen...both Forest Green

index.php

That is looking really good so far. I have thought about getting a Cherokee but just can't do it. I love my explorers to much.

Nice, too tall for the garage almost. I love the hands on work, grinding and welding as needed. I'll have to get into that some for a few project steps next year. Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks @CDW6212R - it will not fit past the garage door :cool:. I kept the stock tires to be able to lower and roll it out when its ready

Thanks @WormsExplorer

:bounce: I cut the upper spring posts and rubber mounts from the body of a Cherokee. Since Im using Cherokee springs for the SOA to utilize the factory rubber mount and its function w/out having to bolt in/hard mount the top part of the spring into the custom spring perch top hat. This will be a bolt in unit to hold the spring in place. The spring will be able to slide up and down and re-set itself as it was designed. Thoughts?

full.jpg

New Trans Crossmember fab'ed in to make room for front drive shaft. Cutting stock crossmember out once new mount is installed.

Credit for idea goes to @johnny499 - Thank you!

full.jpg

That's heavy duty there. Do you need a skid plate there too?

Back