Just bought a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer

Good job, now get out and enjoy your truck, they're certainly enjoyable, and do any TLC as required and you'll have a nice ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any word on the stay wires to the fuse block?

Damn I miss working on my 98! I'm on my way back to ATL from NYC right now so hopefully Tuesday I can get on it.

Any word on the stay wires to the fuse block?

Damn I miss working on my 98! I'm on my way back to ATL from NYC right now so hopefully Tuesday I can get on it.

I'm not even sure what a stay wire is :eek:

While getting gas today I figured I'd just fill her up. Once she was full, gasoline started pouring out of the car. I think it's just the hose going to the tank though. I'll get a new one at napa Thursday and install it.

Stray wires....
like the ones just shoved under the fuse.

While getting gas today I figured I'd just fill her up. Once she was full, gasoline started pouring out of the car. I think it's just the hose going to the tank though. I'll get a new one at napa Thursday and install it.

In the rust belt it can be the metal fill and vent lines that go from the fuel filler cap to the hoses. Salt water tends to get between the rubber hose and the metal pipe(s) and eventually the pipe rusts through. Replacements metal pipes are available on eBay and I'd guess also from RockAuto. The below is on eBay for around $35.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm going to need to replace the gas tank. There's nothing left for the fuel line to connect too on the tank side, it rusted clean off. Unfortunately this is the only vehicle I have at the minute, so I'm going to have to find a way to make it work for now.

The lines don’t connect to the tank. The sending unit has the lines incorporated into it, and comes out of the tank as an assembly.

I'm going to have to order a gas tank. The line from the filler neck is just hanging there since there's nothing for it to connect too. I was going to try to epoxy it, but that isn't really safe.

@wwiding I would say you could just go get one out a junkyard but in Michigan that's unlikely unless you found one that'd been replaced already. Using epoxy isn't safe anyhow, gas eats most brands or types up and then you're back where you started.

@wwiding I would say you could just go get one out a junkyard but in Michigan that's unlikely unless you found one that'd been replaced already. Using epoxy isn't safe anyhow, gas eats most brands or types up and then you're back where you started.

Yeah I'm going to order a new tank online. It doesn't look to complicated to install.

It's not, just run low on gas, low as you can without overdoing it, then just go under there, there's the strap and two front bolts. Pretty straight forward.

So I fixed the slightly rounded head on the bottom bolt by sanding it with a dremel. I can fit a 12mm socket on it now and it's really snug. The jack I have isn't getting the truck off the ground very far, the bottom of the tires are only 4 inches or so. I think with a better jack I can get her about a foot off the ground, that should give me better leverage with the wrench.
Please use a set of jack stands!

Carry on

Please use a set of jack stands!

Carry on

Always. I used two six ton jack stands and a floor jack. I left the floor jack under the truck with the two jack stands as extra insurance in case one failed for some reason.

Always. I used two six ton jack stands and a floor jack. I left the floor jack under the truck with the two jack stands as extra insurance in case one failed for some reason.

Very good. I always slide the tires under the vehicle also when I have them off.

Back